Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Users and developers helping users with technical Pale Moon issues. Please direct questions about the Linux version to the appropriate Linux board.

Moderators: satrow, Indalecio

Forum rules
This board is for technical/usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in "technical chat"
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
CharmCityCrab
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:47 am
Location: Eastern US
Contact:

Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby CharmCityCrab » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:35 pm

On Chrome, I was able to set it up so that videos on open tabs that the sites set to run automatically would not run. I'd get a little box instead indicating that there was a video, and a button I could click to play the video when I got around to looking at the tab, if I wanted to play the video.

What's the Pale Moon equivalent of that? Is there an option somewhere I can change? An add-on I should download?

End goal being videos don't play unless I specifically click on them, but that I don't disabled videos entirely to where I'd have to start flipping options or add-ons on and off every time I want to watch something.

User avatar
megaman
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 2769
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:40 pm
Location: H-town
Contact:

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby megaman » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:42 pm

There are lots of add-ons that do that.

Look-up Magic Actions for YouTube, or YouTube Center.
You can also use Bar-Tab and set it to not load New Tabs opened, so it loads when you need it.
Curiosity leads to a world of experiments.

Sowmoots
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:15 am
Location: Earth

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby Sowmoots » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:45 am

Hello CharmCityCrab,
You can install the addon Click to Play per-element to get the behaviour you want. Make sure to also set plugins.click_to_play to "true" in about:config, and set the required plugins to "Ask to activate" in about:addons.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 7.1-signed

User avatar
megaman
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 2769
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:40 pm
Location: H-town
Contact:

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby megaman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:41 pm

Sowmoots wrote:You can install the addon Click to Play per-element to get the behaviour you want. Make sure to also set plugins.click_to_play to "true" in about:config, and set the required plugins to "Ask to activate"

I would suggest that, assuming that YouTube still plays in Flash Mode by default.
Curiosity leads to a world of experiments.

CharmCityCrab
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:47 am
Location: Eastern US
Contact:

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby CharmCityCrab » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:21 pm

Sowmoots wrote:Hello CharmCityCrab,
You can install the addon Click to Play per-element to get the behaviour you want. Make sure to also set plugins.click_to_play to "true" in about:config, and set the required plugins to "Ask to activate" in about:addons.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 7.1-signed


Click to play doesn't stop the video on this page:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/26/technol ... =obnetwork

I mean, really, one can only take so much of Steve Balmer's yelling before one wants to switch to a browser that doesn't support audio or video. ;)

CharmCityCrab
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:47 am
Location: Eastern US
Contact:

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby CharmCityCrab » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:23 pm

megaman wrote:
Sowmoots wrote:You can install the addon Click to Play per-element to get the behaviour you want. Make sure to also set plugins.click_to_play to "true" in about:config, and set the required plugins to "Ask to activate"

I would suggest that, assuming that YouTube still plays in Flash Mode by default.


I don't think I even installed Flash. My impression is that things are playing in HTML 5. HTML 5, as an almost open standard (DRM-encumbered stuff aside) is better in most senses, but I don't know how to stop it from auto-playing. A flash blocker probably wouldn't do it, assuming the name reflects what it does and it hasn't added HTML5 video blocking to it's feature set.

User avatar
megaman
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 2769
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:40 pm
Location: H-town
Contact:

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby megaman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:55 pm

CharmCityCrab wrote:HTML 5, as an almost open standard (DRM-encumbered stuff aside) is better in most senses, but I don't know how to stop it from auto-playing.

Correct the Flasblock add-on simply blocks Flash and Silverlight, not HTML5.
Right, HTML5 is resource friendly, but did you see my suggestion?
There are add-ons that are solely-based on blocking videos from playing under the HTML5 format, simply searching the Firefox Add-ons site.
Curiosity leads to a world of experiments.

broch
New to the forum
New to the forum
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:24 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby broch » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:58 pm

While it is simple to stop Flash autoplay without using any extension, this (autoplay HTML5) is old bug in Firefox and in consequence in Pale Moon. See four years old discussion at bugzilla:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=659285

You can try this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... src=search
but reviews are not promising


actually I did find a way to block HTML5 autoplay completely (I just found it a minute ago so not sure how effective this will be);
about:config
media.webm.enabled;false

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby Toa-Nuva » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:07 am

Personally, I used the NoScript addon for this purpose for quite some time. I actually kinda "abused" the addon in a way it's not really supposed to be used. In the NoScript configuration, in the tab "Whitelist" I enabled "Scripts Globally Allowed (dangerous)" (after all, I wanted to disable videos, not JavaScript), and in the tab "Embeddings", I enabled "Forbid <AUDIO> / <VIDEO>" and "Apply these restrictions to whitelisted sites too". That did the trick for me, most of the time. Unfortunately, on some sites the Click-to-Play feature didn't work (e.g., there was no Click-to-Play area, or it just wasn't clickable), and some pages just broke in strange ways, so I gave up on this after I while. But it might be worth a try, maybe it works for you.

(As a side note, if you're using any plugins, you should make sure that they are not blocked/set to "ask to activate" in both NoScript and about:addons, because otherwise you'll have to confirm multiple times whenever you want to allow a plugin.)

Tony0945
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:59 pm
Location: Chicago suburbs

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby Tony0945 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:34 pm

broch wrote:actually I did find a way to block HTML5 autoplay completely (I just found it a minute ago so not sure how effective this will be);
about:config
media.webm.enabled;false


Unfortunately that syops them completely. There is no click to play.

User avatar
LimboSlam
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:43 am
Location: USA

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby LimboSlam » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:51 am

If it's HTML5, it should be fixed in beta 3. See here: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9899
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

blind12
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: home

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby blind12 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:15 pm

LimboSlam wrote:If it's HTML5, it should be fixed in beta 3. See here: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9899


Beta 3 of what? I currently have Palemoon 25.8.0. Cannot ask in that thread as it's locked.

User avatar
megaman
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 2769
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:40 pm
Location: H-town
Contact:

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby megaman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:27 pm

blind12 wrote:Beta 3 of what? I currently have Palemoon 25.8.0. Cannot ask in that thread as it's locked.

Palemoon 26 Beta 3, which is a Public BETA and you can use it if you wish, but it's not ready for mainstream and it's not fully-optimized, so YourMileageMayVary.
Curiosity leads to a world of experiments.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 18581
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:27 pm
Location: 58.5°N 15.5°E
Contact:

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby Moonchild » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:18 pm

As a note, I've implemented something extra to give more control which will be in the final version. It's an extra preference specifically to control scripted playback. Just disabling media.autoplay.enabled will still allow scripted events (so it'd be the old behavior) and also setting media.autoplay.allowscripted to false will be the new "block autoplay" behavior, this to provide intermediate level of blocking and avoiding the inherent issues with blocking everything.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.
Image

anonemous1
New to the forum
New to the forum
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby anonemous1 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Moonchild wrote:As a note, I've implemented something extra to give more control which will be in the final version. It's an extra preference specifically to control scripted playback. Just disabling media.autoplay.enabled will still allow scripted events (so it'd be the old behavior) and also setting media.autoplay.allowscripted to false will be the new "block autoplay" behavior, this to provide intermediate level of blocking and avoiding the inherent issues with blocking everything.


Hi! I know this is probably a stupid question and you probably covered this somewhere... But how do I set the setting to false? Is there something I'm missing here? I checked Options and Advanced Options (PM Commander), but couldn't find it. Maybe it could be added to Pale Moon Commander?

Thank you!
Sincerely,
Anon

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 18581
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:27 pm
Location: 58.5°N 15.5°E
Contact:

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby Moonchild » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:03 pm

In the address bar, type about:config and press enter
This will give you a list of advanced preferences (please don't willy-nilly change other ones unless you know what you're doing).

Find the named preference and double-click it to flip it to false.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.
Image

anonemous1
New to the forum
New to the forum
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby anonemous1 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:28 am

Moonchild wrote:In the address bar, type about:config and press enter
This will give you a list of advanced preferences (please don't willy-nilly change other ones unless you know what you're doing).

Find the named preference and double-click it to flip it to false.


Thanks you! Found it :-)

User avatar
Pale Moon Rising
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:59 pm
Location: Los Angeles CA USA

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby Pale Moon Rising » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:17 am

As I understand it, setting both media.autoplay.enabled and media.autoplay.allowscripted to "false" should prevent videos from playing automatically hence the user should be required to start the video.

I'm finding that youtube videos will still start automatically whenever a youtube page video gets loaded with both of these prefs set to "false", what am I missing here? (I closed/opened browser in case this is necessary)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN7(64-bit) | I3 CPU, 2.53 GHz, 4G RAM

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

User avatar
LimboSlam
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:43 am
Location: USA

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby LimboSlam » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:22 am

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I'm finding that youtube videos will still start automatically whenever a youtube page video gets loaded with both of these prefs set to "false", what am I missing here? (I closed/opened browser in case this is necessary)


Confirmed.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

User avatar
megaman
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 2769
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:40 pm
Location: H-town
Contact:

Re: Disabling Auto-Play Videos

Postby megaman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:29 pm

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I'm finding that youtube videos will still start automatically whenever a youtube page video gets loaded with both of these prefs set to "false", what am I missing here? (I closed/opened browser in case this is necessary)

Then, it might have switched to FLASH, I get no such thing.
Curiosity leads to a world of experiments.


Return to “General support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests