Shockwave / Flash part. solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
L Bell

Shockwave / Flash part. solved

Unread post by L Bell » 2015-06-09, 13:48

I'm running the pre installed version of Pale Moon as found in the 'tahrpup' 6.0.2 Linux distribution. (PM Version: 24.7.1 (x86) for Linux)

The computer is one of two 'legacy' test machines, both ~ 2 GHz processors, and 1.x GB of RAM. (see post 'Pale Moon on legacy machines' in the XP forum here for more hardware details)

I'm using the newest Shockwave / Flash plug-in apparently written for Linux (v 11.2.202..640) from April 28, 2015.

Flash was being blocked due to its version # structure (commas instead of periods and/or version number) but is working great now due to the ability to over-ride version blocking from 'about:config' setting 'extensions.blocklist.enabled'.

Setting this to 'false' allows you to enable older, or possibly even risky versions of Flash.

Don't take this as a recommendation, however!

Moonchild would be able to expand on the risks, etc.

This is a Shockwave & Flash test page. and I would like to know if both tests work for others.

http://www.itma.vt.edu/tech/shockwave.htm

On my setup, the the Flash demo works fine, while the Shockwave demo reports 'a plugin is needed to display this content'.

When attempting to further update Flash, the mozilla repository site reports both 'You are running an old version of Firefox' and 'Your hardware is not capable of running Firefox' ! We all know this is not true.

Any potential solutions? (Follow-up post, how to update to the latest PM from within tahrpup Linux)

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Shockwave / Flash part. solved

Unread post by CraigPD » 2015-06-09, 16:13

The Flash version blockage problem was resolved in v25.3.0 so if you update Pale Moon to 25.4.1 here using the installer script pminstaller-0.1.8.tar.bz2 (99.5 kB) and reset extensions.blocklist.enabled to true a new blocklist.xml will be updated shortly (in a few hours) which should resolve the issue in Linux.

As for Shockwave, that test page doesn't indicate the plugin being functional in Pale Moon on either Windows 7 or Xubuntu 15.04 which suits me perfectly. Otherwise I'd probably be looking for a way to remove it from my system.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2015-06-09, 22:55

L Bell wrote:(Follow-up post, how to update to the latest PM from within tahrpup Linux)
I don't believe its possible to update within PM4Linux but the pminstaller-0.1.8.tar.bz2 link posted above makes it essentially foolproof.

Re: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... =40#p36457

L Bell

Unread post by L Bell » 2015-06-10, 01:31

Many thanks for your help on this issue, especially the link regarding Shockwave. Was it an earlier type of movie / game format? I saw Shockwave anims back in the 1990's on 'Netscape' under a Mac 8 emulation on an Amiga 1200.

I've downloaded the PM installer, and was wondering if it is safe to run within this tahrpup system. It has a the puppy package manager, as well as the 'quickpet' installation system. Quickpet has installers for seven browsers, including offshoots like Iron, Tor, and Slimboat, but Pale Moon isn't included.

I prefer free standing installations, but as you noted, the 'fool proof' method might be better.

Tahrpup is built on ubuntu 14. binaries, and everything I have downloaded from the 'ubuntu trusty universe' repositories has worked so far.

Is the installer made for online only, so you don't have to download the main PM file manually?

The help is appreciated.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2015-06-10, 01:37

Tahrpup has the palemoon install/update script in the menu.

L Bell

Unread post by L Bell » 2015-06-12, 11:03

half-moon wrote:Tahrpup has the palemoon install/update script in the menu.
So it is. Thanks, half-moon.

In case anyone else couldn't find it, navigate (in tahr) to 'menu, internet, Palemoon-updater'.

The script doesn't display the transfer size or speed, but after a few percent I calculated it is over 16 megs

My carrier almost always drops on files this big, so I'm using the download manager "Download them all" for servers that support resuming a paused or interrupted transfer. I will start a new topic for people with this issue.

Still wondering why PM isn't listed with 'all the others' in quickpet.

The maintainer of tahrpup is also the creator of quickpet, so I will ask about adding PM to it. He also just created a service pack for updating tahrpup from v 6.0.2 to 6.0.3. That option appears automatically when you enter the puppy package manager, if you are running the older version.

In the interest of reducing posts here, I've just become a member of murga-linux, where apparently the all things tahrpup (and puppy) are discussed.

LB