Running Pale Moon and Pale Moon Portable concurently

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moggie

Running Pale Moon and Pale Moon Portable concurently

Unread post by Moggie » 2015-05-10, 04:03

I love Pale Moon and Pale Moon Portable but find I can only open one or the other when I want to open multiple windows. Is there a way to make them run concurrently?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Running Pale Moon and Pale Moon Portable concurently

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-10, 09:47

Edit the Palemoon-Portable.ini and uncomment the MOZ_NO_REMOTE option...

;MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1

to

MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1

Moggie

Unread post by Moggie » 2015-05-10, 16:21

A thousand thanks, Matt!

I'm glad Pale Moon will never be like FireFox again. Was a fan of Firefox till it decided it wanted to be another Chrome.

Thank God for Pale Moon. It's the best!

RedRamGT
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RedRamGT » 2015-05-12, 02:11

I agree with Moggie - the Pale Moon team has done an awesome job of making an excellent browser.
Hats Off and Many Thanks to all of you!!

Moggie

Unread post by Moggie » 2015-05-12, 17:30

Hi Matt,

I edited the INI file as you suggested and was able to get both Pale Moon Portable and non-portable to open at the same time; however I can get only one Portable window to open at a time. When I try to open another, I get the message: "Pale Moon is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Pale Moon process, or restart your system."

Any ideas how to get multiple windows to open in the Portable?

Thanks!

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2015-05-12, 17:48

Does hitting Control-N not open another window?

Moggie

Unread post by Moggie » 2015-05-12, 21:26

Thank you, eskaton023, yes it does. I had no idea about Control-N.

I was simply clicking the icon in my task bar and that wasn't working.

Thanks again for your help.

Just out of curiosity, could you tell me why Control-N works but clicking on the Palemoon icon doesn't?

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2015-05-12, 22:26

Do you mean clicking on the Windows taskbar? What happens with a left/right click there will depend on your version of Windows, if the icon is pinned or not, etc. That approach will try to spawn another palemoon.exe process though, and it's not built to run that way. There might be an extension or way to add a jump list command for a new window on the taskbar. You can also click the blue Pale Moon widget, hover over New Tab, and New Window is an option there as well.

Ctrl-N is a shortcut that goes back to the 3.X branch (at least) of Netscape Navigator. It doesn't start another process, but nests another window within the same process..basically. Both IE and Chrome have the same shortcut for a new window. For browsers it's nearly as old and prevalant as hitting F1 for help.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-12, 22:31

Control-N (or using the app menu) doesn't try to start a new copy of the browser. clicking on the icon in the task bar does.

Because you have to disable "remote" operation to run concurrently with your other version, this very switch also prevents the browser from hooking into the already running copy and opening a new window. Because it can't hook in and the running copy doesn't respond to the request to hook in, it can't start (hence the error message which tells you that the running browser isn't responding to the remote request). Does that explanation make sense to you?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moggie

Unread post by Moggie » 2015-05-13, 04:19

Yes, thank you, Moonchild, it makes perfect sense. I figured it had something to do with the edit to the INI file in order to get it to run concurrently with my other Pale Moon, but I wanted to know what exactly. I'm not very techie oriented.

Eskaton023, thank you too for your help.

Mog