Dead after update

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Akibiiru

Dead after update

Unread post by Akibiiru » 2012-06-17, 19:44

Hi, Pale Moon just updated with 12.2.1, and I cannot get it to load any sites. I've tried the troubleshooting steps listed in this forum for not loading websites after update, I've reinstalled, uninstalled all my addons, still nothing. I hit a bookmark and I see the Reload Current Page button flash real quick, but still no page, no nothing. The status bar says done. Help!!

Thanks,
Michael

megaman

Re: Dead after update

Unread post by megaman » 2012-06-17, 20:58

Have you tried to make a new profile?

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-06-17, 21:13

Check your security software isn't sandboxing or blocking access, it's a very recent Pale Moon update and some security vendors are very slow to catch on to updates in safe software.

Akibiiru

Unread post by Akibiiru » 2012-06-17, 23:29

I checked both of those things. Pale Moon will load a site if I click on a link in an email, but if I open it on it's own - nothing. Entering a web address or clicking on a bookmark does nothing. Also, clicking on get more addons doesn't produce any results either.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-06-17, 23:57

Where do you collect your emails from, Pale Moon, an email program or another browser?

Akibiiru

Unread post by Akibiiru » 2012-06-18, 01:30

I use Thunderbird.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-06-18, 01:40

Hmm, still thinking security software - have you rebooted since updating Pale moon last?

What security software (antivirus, firewall - anything active) do you have installed?

Akibiiru

Unread post by Akibiiru » 2012-06-18, 02:50

Thanks Satrow, you were correct. I started getting high risk warnings from Norton when I tried to reinstall Pale Moon. I went in and excluded the Pale Moon directory from Norton's Sonar, and everything works great now. Norton is starting to get on my nerves.

Thanks for all the help!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-19, 15:15

Norton is apparently choking on Pale Moon yet again, breaking the browser by quarantining essential libraries and components because of false positives.
Norton has been informed MANY times about this but they still don't fix their engine, the only thing they do is have an ever growing whitelist and wanting developers to submit new releases of programs to them to be added to the white lists to "reduce the chances of false positives" - this is a subscription service, and has a turnaround time of about 3 weeks, much too slow for any software vendor to be usable.

Norton is extremely likely to continue giving these false positive matches and breaking the browser this way with new releases that are considered "suspicious". I suggest finding an alternative AV solution that actually tackles the cause of FPs instead of just mitigating the symptoms.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Akibiiru

Unread post by Akibiiru » 2012-06-19, 22:17

Well put, thank you. I will be shopping for a new AV program.

BTW, I love Pale Moon!

Michael

Greenpalmer

Unread post by Greenpalmer » 2012-06-20, 21:42

Norton is a terrible resource hog, and they charge for it! Why not use Microsoft Security Essentials which is better, lighter, and free?

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-06-21, 02:21

Akibiiru wrote:Well put, thank you. I will be shopping for a new AV program.

BTW, I love Pale Moon!

Michael
Maybe you can get ideas in this thread. :mrgreen:

Somebody shoot Norton AV...
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=737