[SOLVED] Font size on (some) websites

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

[SOLVED] Font size on (some) websites

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-03-28, 13:33

I notice when using PM on Linux, that on a lot of sites, the font size is different from using Palemoon on Windows. Usually, the font size is smaller, although on some sites, the font size is larger (and on some sites I don't notice a difference). Does anyone else notice this, or is it just me? Can anyone suggest something I can do? I'm getting older :( and small font sizes are getting harder for me to read. [I don't suppose there's a way to make the font size larger on sites that need it, while keeping it the same on other sites that don't need it?]
Last edited by ron_1 on 2015-03-28, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Font size on (some) websites

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-28, 13:36

Linux has different system fonts and a different font rendering system than Windows, so you'll always have differences.
If simply setting the zoom level to your preferred setting (Ctrl+ Ctrl- Ctrl&mousewheeel) in the browser (which is saved on a site-by-site basis) is insufficient then you could always try NoSquint or similar.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-03-28, 13:43

Moonchild wrote:
If simply setting the zoom level to your preferred setting (Ctrl+ Ctrl- Ctrl&mousewheeel) in the browser (which is saved on a site-by-site basis)
I did not know that the zoom level worked like that (on a site-by-site basis). Thanks MC. BTW, where is that stored, so I can back it up?

I'm curious though, why the mix? Why is it larger on some sites?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-28, 13:56

helloimustbegoing wrote:BTW, where is that stored, so I can back it up?
It's stored in your profile, if memory serves right off the top of my head it's in a table in content-prefs.sqlite
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-03-28, 13:59

Font size settings are in Options/Preferences on the Content tab. NoSquint gives access to those too. Also Theme Font Size Changer is helpful. It is worth running both as the latter changes the toolbar, status bar and menu fonts, which NoSquint doesn't touch.

You can also get the Microsoft True Type Fonts, thus use e.g. Verdana, Tahoma etc. On Mint the best way is through Software Manager, but easy enough with, say, Apt-get. Just google your distro and TTF.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-28, 14:21

I use NoSquint because I can change both the zoom level and text zoom level in 5% increments for any site I want and is remembered for any site so long as I uncheck NoSquint when I clear my most recent history for Everything.

NoSquint is great for people who have poor or failing eyesight. As an example, my eyesight is (20/400) without glasses. I do wear glasses, but my desktop monitor is about 36" from my face. You might want to try NoSquint and see if you like it. The link to it is below.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... nt/?src=ss
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Joel Cairo

Re: [SOLVED] Font size on (some) websites

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-03-28, 19:05

I had near-perfect eyesight for so long I can't get used to how it is now. I'm just about where I remember to take my glasses out with me. Just. But I'm long-sighted. And where in my previous two addresses I had a wonderful big computer desk, where I am now there isn't the room and I have the monitor sitting on the tower, and I sit in my (very comfortable!) armchair. My monitor is more like 48" away! But, being long-sighted - and wearing glasses - I don't really need NoSquint/Theme Font Size Changer in normal use. However, if I'm staring at the screen for a few hours the whole thing seems smaller and at that point those add-ons are useful. I do have all Windows desktops permanently set at 125%. PM set at 105% in NoSquint.

Where they really come into their own - apart from averaging out the differences in Mint - is using the computer in bed! I set NoSquint to 125 or 130% - depending, I suppose, on how tired my eyes are - and Theme Font Size Changer to 15 or 16pt. The 22" screen is about 60" away and perfectly legible.

Nb. I don't have wireless mouse/keyboard these days. So while the mouse cable is just long enough, the keyboard cable isn't. This is not a problem with Windows' on-screen keyboard, of course. Now, while I can understand Moonchild's statement about PM not supporting disabled-user function, certainly an entire operating system ought to! The onscreen keyboard in Mint KDE is abominably poor, and a real pain given how often you have to type your password! Otoh I find 'Onboard' to be excellent.