Palemoon update blocked

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Viccy

Palemoon update blocked

Unread post by Viccy » 2015-03-27, 14:27

Hello! I live in Kirovohrad, the center of Ukraine, but I cannot upgrade my Palemoon because "Crimea Blocked". What can I do?
Last edited by Viccy on 2015-03-27, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon update blocked

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-27, 14:45

Is Sourceforge now blocking entire regions? :wtf:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Viccy

Unread post by Viccy » 2015-03-27, 14:51

I cannot open this page http://sourceforge.net/p/pm4linux
It gives me: "As per Executive Order 13685, we are unable to provide you access to this site."
I allmost have a dynamic IP.

Tailszefox

Unread post by Tailszefox » 2015-03-27, 14:54

See https://sourceforge.net/blog/some-good- ... -blocking/ . The restriction has to be lifted by the owner of the SourceForge repository, it seems.

Viccy

Unread post by Viccy » 2015-03-27, 14:57

I cannot accept this page too. Sorry, but Palemoon is my favorite browser about 3 years.

Tailszefox

Unread post by Tailszefox » 2015-03-27, 15:00

It's hosted on SourceForge, so it's not surprising. Here's an excerpt:
A couple of weeks ago, to ensure compliance with US law as we roll out improvements to SourceForge.net, we began programmatically blocking access to the site for users in certain countries against which the US government imposes sanctions. Today, we’re happy to announce site changes that we believe maintain compliance with the law but offer project administrators, developers, and users more freedom.

If this topic is news to you, please read the statement we made explaining what we did last month and why. In brief, we blocked all users from certain countries from downloading software using the site.
[...]
Beginning now, every project admin can click on Develop -> Project Admin -> Project Settings to find a new section called Export Control. By default, we’ve ticked the more restrictive setting. If you conclude that your project is *not* subject to export regulations, or any other related prohibitions, you may now tick the other check mark and click Update. After that, all users will be able to download your project files as they did before last month’s change.
That block doesn't seem to really be a new thing, though. Have you recently switched to Linux, or moved, or changed ISP?

Viccy

Unread post by Viccy » 2015-03-27, 15:06

I use Ubuntu for 4 years, but I think that my provider gives me the crimean dynamic ip, that blocked by sanctions. But how I can solve this problem...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-27, 15:07

No this has nothing to do with export control, the export control setting is not enabled in PM4L.

This blocking is something else than the export control setting. It seems to be a direct block against certain regions/IPs.
I will NOT stand for that. Looks like we need a new home for PM4L.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Tailszefox

Unread post by Tailszefox » 2015-03-27, 15:12

That is extremely odd, and quite sudden.

Anyway, why not move to GitHub as well? Pale Moon's source code is already hosted there, so it would make sense to have PM4L there as well and have everything in the same place.

Viccy

Unread post by Viccy » 2015-03-27, 15:17

Nevertheless thanks for your answer, but I'm shocked. I can get new release by proxy, but it is the bad way to keep the health of browser by reinstalling it.
P.S. Palemoon on Windows have updates successfully from the same IP.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-27, 16:00

Moonchild wrote:It seems to be a direct block against certain regions/IPs.
I will NOT stand for that. Looks like we need a new home for PM4L.
Off-topic:
If you decide to move PM4L to a new home, don't forget to make an announcement so us linux Pale Moon users can find the new home and make a new bookmark for it.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-27, 16:03

Viccy wrote:P.S. Palemoon on Windows have updates successfully from the same IP.
Pale Moon for Windows and the automatic update service is run/hosted by me personally. I don't block regions for some silly political reason (only abusive IPs get blocked).

I don't know if github offers the same kind of functionality as is needed by the installer/updater, though. I'll have to look into file hosting options there.

Viccy

Unread post by Viccy » 2015-03-27, 16:08

Thanks for your attention.

marian_kadanka

Unread post by marian_kadanka » 2015-03-27, 18:19

Viccy wrote:I use Ubuntu for 4 years, but I think that my provider gives me the crimean dynamic ip, that blocked by sanctions. But how I can solve this problem...
Hello, you can use Ubuntu PPA located at https://launchpad.net/~marian.kadanka/+ ... u/palemoon

Viccy

Unread post by Viccy » 2015-03-27, 18:44

I can partyculary solved my problem thanks to router, where I can change my dynamic IP and then can install updates (changing system proxy settings were unresult). But I want to add beyond repository to my source lists. Thanks to all.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-03-28, 01:49

Moonchild wrote:No this has nothing to do with export control, the export control setting is not enabled in PM4L.

This blocking is something else than the export control setting. It seems to be a direct block against certain regions/IPs.
According to Wikipedia, besides Crimea, SorceForge also blocks Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. :evil:
Moonchild wrote:I will NOT stand for that. Looks like we need a new home for PM4L.
I don't know if github offers the same kind of functionality as is needed by the installer/updater, though. I'll have to look into file hosting options there.
If GitHub is not going work, I'll do some research and see what I come up with as well.

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-03-28, 02:30

This policy of SF seems to be a direct violation of point 5 of the open source definition:
5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
The license must not discriminate against any person or group of persons.
Moonchild wrote:I don't know if github offers the same kind of functionality as is needed by the installer/updater, though.
Github provides *.github.io domains for projects, but they are limited to static content. They also allow adding binaries as releases (see here for an example). So, you could:
  • Use the *.github.io domain to serve the "latest" file containing the latest version info.
  • Replace the addresses in get_latest_version () and archive_download () to point to the corresponding Github addresses.

Viccy

Unread post by Viccy » 2015-03-28, 06:47

The essence is in that: I don't live in Crimea & have such prolem on empty place only on Linux.

yash1234

Unread post by yash1234 » 2015-03-28, 07:19

one file hosting option is http://www.codeplex.com

from the website,

CodePlex is Microsoft's free open source project hosting site. You can create projects to share with the world, collaborate with others on their projects, and download open source software.