cache size override

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dallas7

cache size override

Unread post by dallas7 » 2012-06-13, 19:04

The 12.1 fix "cache size override on new profiles (would be set to 1GB instead of the application default of 200MB)" got me thinking. Yes, I know how dangerous that is.

Given if all browser.cache.disk prefs are false and browser.cache.memory prefs are correctly enabled and configured...

Under Options > Advanced > Network for Cached Web Content, is there any relevance to the settings (checked or unchecked, the Limit cache to value) when browser.cache.disk.enable is false?

Interpreting the Mozilla knowledge base, there should be no relevance for that or if browser.cache.disk.capacity is zero. I am wondering if this holds true in Palemoon as well.

Thank you :!:

FWIW, I use:
browser.cache.memory.capacity -1
browser.cache.memory.enable true
browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size -1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: cache size override

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-13, 20:18

Of course, if you have disabled the disk cache, the relevant preferences in options will have no effect.
That is the same for Pale Moon and Firefox alike.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dallas7

Unread post by dallas7 » 2012-06-15, 19:55

I know that the answer to that should be obvious, but about:config and prefs.js have become daunting over the years. Many, many things are no longer obvious or intuitive or easily ascertained let alone noticed.

For example, there are no expert dissertations on the objectives of or for the cogent tweaking of preferences like these:
network.http.use-cache
network.buffer.cache.count
network.buffer.cache.size
image.cache.size
media.cache_size

Once one finally presents even a finely booleaned Google inquiry it becomes a matter of wading through tens of thousands of hits on that decades long discussion on clearing a browser cache to finding nothing more than the most absurd guesses posted up on the most obscure and useless forums. Especially the ones hosted by Mozilla. :problem:

Anyhow, thanks for verifying there's nothing more involved or insidious regarding those Cached Web Content options.

Cheers.

•No reply expected.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-15, 20:36

The mozillazine knowledge base has a detailed record of all preferences, what they do, what the default values are, etc.
So, Google isn't the first place you should look for these ;)

Bookmark this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Preferences
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite