[Workaround] Adding Avast WebRep

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

simonpg

[Workaround] Adding Avast WebRep

Unread post by simonpg » 2012-04-26, 01:39

When I installed Avast I was using Firefox and Avast WebRep installed OK. However now I'm using Palemoon. I have followed Avast's instructions on how to add WebRep to another browser but Palemoon is not listed, seemingly not detected by Avast?
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=740&nav=0Avast's%20instructions

Is there another way to add WebRep to Palemoon.

Also why doesn't Avast recognise Palemoon? It recognizes my other installed browsers, Firefox, Safari, Opera and IE.

Thanks
Simon

lyceus

Re: Adding Avast WebRep

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-04-26, 04:01

Avast won't find Pale Moon since it's located in another folder different than Fire Fox and it seems that Avast only support major browsers. I would recommend to just copy your plug-in from Fire Fox to Pale Moon folder, but I don't know if the program looks actively for the location as well.

You could also consider report this to Avast, so they can add Pale Moon.

westwood

Unread post by westwood » 2012-06-12, 17:14

Has anyone managed to get any further with adding webrep to Pale Moon? I have asked on the Avast Forum and go no reply. I have tried copying the webrep folder from Avast to Pale Moon extensions folder but this has not been picked up as an extension. There is no xpi file to load into Pale Moon. I am therefore stuck. I want to use Pale Moon rather than Firefox, but would like to run webrep in it rather than WOT which I don't really trust.

Thanks for any reply.

John

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-06-12, 17:24

You can build a xpi with the folder. Just pack it to a zip and then replace the .zip with .xpi

More informations: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Building_an_Extension

westwood

Unread post by westwood » 2012-06-12, 18:18

Thanks for that. Managed to zip folder and rename. It then appears to have installed fine into Pale Moon - I have an extension showing in "add ons" and an icon on the toolbar that I can click, but every site is shown as having no ratings. Obviously I am doing something wrong so will study the url you sent me and look at it again when I have more time.

Thanks again.

John

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-06-14, 04:22

westwood wrote:Thanks for that. Managed to zip folder and rename. It then appears to have installed fine into Pale Moon - I have an extension showing in "add ons" and an icon on the toolbar that I can click, but every site is shown as having no ratings. Obviously I am doing something wrong so will study the url you sent me and look at it again when I have more time.

Thanks again.

John
Maybe because the Xpi doesn't send the data to Avast since is in another folder than expected?

westwood

Unread post by westwood » 2012-06-17, 21:48

No, it was my stupidity! I had foolishly installed the new extension whilst in avast sandbox mode! Once I installed it in normal pale moon out of the sandbox it worked perfectly both in sandbox and out. So, to summarise, to get webrep to work zip the files in the avast webrep for firefox folder and change the zip extension to xpi then install by opening the xpi in pale moon. Then works fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards

John

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-06-18, 04:25

westwood wrote:No, it was my stupidity! I had foolishly installed the new extension whilst in avast sandbox mode! Once I installed it in normal pale moon out of the sandbox it worked perfectly both in sandbox and out. So, to summarise, to get webrep to work zip the files in the avast webrep for firefox folder and change the zip extension to xpi then install by opening the xpi in pale moon. Then works fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards

John
Thank you for share the post and the solution. I added the name "Workaround" to your post since this will be useful for several users. :D