Scrollbars - Pale Moon vs Firefox rendering

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Tailszefox

Scrollbars - Pale Moon vs Firefox rendering

Unread post by Tailszefox » 2015-03-18, 19:44

Hi all. I recently installed Pale Moon on Linux (running Debian sid with KDE 4.14), and while almost everything works well, I've noticed a strange issue with the scrollbars compared to Firefox, even though both are using the QtCurve theme. A picture being worth a thousand words, here's what I mean:

(Iceweasel is Debian's version of Firefox, but outside of the name and icon, they are exactly the same.)

As you can see, Pale Moon's scrollbars have a weird blue-ish background, that doesn't appear with Firefox.

For completeness sake, I started both Firefox and Pale Moon with a blank profile. The whole system was installed yesterday, so there's no special customization going on.

Anyone has any idea what the issue is here? I don't think I've ever seen that problem before, and Pale Moon seems to be the only GTK application to behave like this.

Thanks for the help!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Scrollbars - Pale Moon vs Firefox rendering

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-18, 20:32

You're running linux Pale Moon in Debian sid with KDE 4.14 and your PM scrollbars background is a light bluish color.

I'm running linux Pale Moon in Mint 17 with XFCE 4.11 (if my memory serves me correctly) and my PM scrollbars background is slightly dark gray in color.

Might be due to the different default desktop environment theme colors between KDE and XFCE since our scrollbar backgrounds in linux Pale Moon are different in color. Just a guess on my part.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tailszefox

Unread post by Tailszefox » 2015-03-18, 20:39

What I don't get, though, is why there's a difference between Firefox and Pale Moon: they're running in the exact same environment, use the exact same GTK theme (the scrollbars look the same overall, and every other features like menus, form elements and all that look the same), and none have any kind of special configuration. Yet Pale Moon renders them slightly differently.

My only guess at that point is that Firefox runs GTK3 while Pale Moon runs GTK2, or maybe it's the other way around. I could be wrong, though, maybe they're both running the same version of GTK.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-03-19, 07:46

It's possible that Debian includes some minor theme changes for Ice Weasel. I'm not 100% sure on that though.
Tailszefox wrote:My only guess at that point is that Firefox runs GTK3 while Pale Moon runs GTK2, or maybe it's the other way around. I could be wrong, though, maybe they're both running the same version of GTK.
Release versions of both Pale Moon and Firefox run GTK2 at this time. There are GTK3 build of Firefox out there (still buggy/experimental), and should only be available from additional repos that have to be manually added to your system.

Tailszefox

Unread post by Tailszefox » 2015-03-19, 09:38

Ah, I see, thank for the info.

Following that, I tried a few other GTK2 applications to see if the issue was the same, and it appears Pale Moon is still the only one to render scrollbars that way. Everything else seems to render it the same as Firefox, which makes me think there's no particular customization for it by Debian.