Blue Moon Linux Preferences dialogue

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Joel Cairo

Blue Moon Linux Preferences dialogue

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-03-07, 23:41

I just installed Blue Moon Linux. Clicked the Preferences button and got a tiny vertical bi-colour rectangle in the centre of the screen. Found that I could drag the edges but just end up with a big empty (presumably dialogue) box. Reset my theme to default, restarted, no change. Presumably there is some add-on or setting it doesn't play well with?

Or I'll selectively disable some (hopefully not all) or them, and see when it starts working - just not tonight.

Shane

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: Blue Moon Linux Preferences dialogue

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-03-08, 01:27

Hi Shane,

Have you tried restarting Pale Moon with all add-ons disabled (by clicking the Pale Moon button > Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled, and when prompted, selecting "Disable all add-ons" and clicking "Make Changes and Restart"), and then re-enabling Blue Moon Linux only?

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-03-08, 11:29

Hi Antonius,

That's what I figured on trying this AM - was just about to turn in, last night! Just booted the computer to Linux to do just that, if necessary; only had one coffee so far though...

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-03-08, 13:31

If disabling your other add-ons fixes the issue, try re-enabling them one at a time to find the culprit.
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2015-03-08, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-03-08, 14:39

Hi Antonius,

All-in-One Sidebar is the conflicting Add-on. Just went through the AOIS options and couldn't find anything that stood out (to me, anyway) that could be disabled to fix it.

Restarting with it enabled, the default Add-on page opens, of course. At that point the Blue Moon Linux Preferences dialogue box still works, but close it and then open Add-ons with All-in-One Sidebar and it no longer works.

Shane

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-03-08, 14:46

Thanks for reporting back. I will look into this tonight, and see if I can fix the issue with the next version of Blue Moon Linux.

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-03-08, 15:19

No prob. Also, FWIW, I just set AIOS not to open add-ons in the sidebar. And then BlueMoon Linux Preferences work.

Other changes I always make - and so didn't think to revert - are to not open downloads in the sidebar, and to use the thin switch. Everything else I leave as default.

So with AOIS default settings except downloads set not to open in the sidebar, plus the thin switch, with add-ons set to open in the sidebar, BML prefs doesn't display correctly, while with add-ons set not to open in the sidebar BML prefs does display correctly.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-08, 15:46

So, BML is not designed to have the extension prefs being opened in the side bar -- somehow I'm not surprised ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-03-08, 16:46

Moonchild wrote:So, BML is not designed to have the extension prefs being opened in the side bar -- somehow I'm not surprised ;)
Interesting. Forgive me if I'm slow on the uptake. A decade ago I wrote a couple of .vbs installers, and a couple of websites, but apart from rewriting the solitary batch file I've been using since Win9x, to run Empty Temp Folders at the first boot of the day in NT (and, back in the day, back-up the MS-DOS and Kerio Firewall config files), I haven't done a single bit of coding since. So, while I know I could learn to write add-ons, I am really, really rusty.

When I saw your comment, I thought 'but other add-ons open pop-up dialogues just fine with AOIS enabled'. Then I thought: is it more like BML needing to be specifically set to not open prefs in the sidebar? Or is it that AOIS is coded to exclude the others? I was going to list the add-ons I run that have pop-up dialogues, but almost all of them do - including, of course, Pale Moon Commander.

Not that I have any ideas for add-ons, but I wish I felt I had the time to learn to write them! In another five or ten years I'll probably look back and realize I did have, but that's me!

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-03-08, 17:13

Joel Cairo wrote:Also, FWIW, I just set AIOS not to open add-ons in the sidebar. And then BlueMoon Linux Preferences work.
So what you're saying, really, is that BML's preferences dialog is not displayed properly only when AIOS is set to open about:addons in the Sidebar, correct? In that case, I think I'll have to contact the AIOS developer to see if (and how) I can fix this.

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-03-08, 17:37

Antonius32 wrote:
Joel Cairo wrote:Also, FWIW, I just set AIOS not to open add-ons in the sidebar. And then BlueMoon Linux Preferences work.
So what you're saying, really, is that BML's preferences dialog is not displayed properly only when AIOS is set to open about:addons in the Sidebar, correct? In that case, I think I'll have to contact the AIOS developer to see if (and how) I can fix this.
Yes, that looks like the case. Open about:addons in the url bar and BML prefs work.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-03-08, 17:50

Add-ons is just another third-party sidebar, added by the AIOS extension itself. AFAIK there is nothing in the AIOS "add-on sidebar" code that could affect other add-ons, such as BML, with the possible exception of a conflicting shortcut. Thus, try reinstalling AIOS, using version 0.7.20, to see if the problem goes away.
Last edited by riiis on 2015-03-09, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-03-08, 18:15

@Joel Cairo: Please let us know if riis's solution worked for you!

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-03-08, 18:32

Antonius32 wrote:@Joel Cairo: Please let us know if riis's solution worked for you!
Jeez, I just posted my response to riis, saw yours, got the suggestion that I might want to review my post in light of yours coming meantime, thought 'no, no real need', clicked the back button to see the thread and found my post had been disappeared!

Okay, here we go again!

Well, I'll leave out the preliminary efforts and just go to the last one. I created a new default profile, so no add-ons, no configuration changes. I installed AIOS (reboot), then BML. Still the same behaviour. I didn't even make my usual AIOS config changes, just left it default. From about:addons BML prefs work; from the sidebar there's just a tiny vertical rectangle, which can be dragged out to show an empty window with minimize, maximise, and close buttons but nothing else.

Obviously, I'm open to further suggestions.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-03-08, 19:01

Joel Cairo wrote:From about:addons BML prefs work; from the sidebar there's just a tiny vertical rectangle, which can be dragged out to show an empty window with minimize, maximise, and close buttons but nothing else.
As it turns out, this issue can easily be resolved by having AIOS not display about:addons in the Sidebar. I will contact the AIOS developer nonetheless, to see if I can make BML 100% compatible with the AIOS extension, but I think it's actually up to him/her, not me, to come up with a permanent solution.

In other words: this is not a Blue Moon Linux issue, it's an All-in-One Sidebar issue.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-03-08, 20:35

I tried using OmniSidebar version 1.4.7. This add-on includes the same sidebars as AIOS, plus a couple more. OmniSidebar showed the same behavior as AIOS. That is, when add-ons are shown in the sidebar, BML's preference button, in the sidebar, doesn't work. For all other add-ons in the sidebar, their preference buttons do work. So this issue does not relate only to AIOS, if at all. So I uninstalled then reinstalled AIOS. AIOS showed the same behavior experienced by the OP and the same behavior as in OmniSidebar.

Note that the sidebar in Firefox and Pale Moon is a separate browser within a browser. Communication between the sidebar and the main browser is somewhat more limited than communication within the main browser. BML may be breaking some of this sidebar-to-main-browser communications, when the add-ons manager is moved from a tab in the main browser to the sidebar.
Last edited by riiis on 2015-03-09, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-03-08, 20:59

riiis wrote:So this issue does not relate only to AIOS, if at all.
It seems AIOS has a problem with BML's bootstrap mechanism. I have contacted the developer about this - will keep you posted.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-03-09, 16:36

I'm working on a solution, please bear with me!

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-03-11, 13:16

The issue will be fixed in Blue Moon Linux 2.1. :)