[RESOLVED]UI issues (possibly hardware Acceleration related)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Kushan

[RESOLVED]UI issues (possibly hardware Acceleration related)

Unread post by Kushan » 2012-06-09, 08:30

Hello all,

Recently, my PM has started to display a little oddly, particularly with the UI elements rather than sites themselves. Fonts seem to be blurry and the task buttons (minimise, maximise and close) aren't rendering at all:
Pale Moon at startup
Pale Moon at startup
UI1.png (64.61 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
However, If I go into options and switch HWA off, it fixes itself:
After Hardware accel is disabled
After Hardware accel is disabled
UI2.png (56.57 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
Particularly note that the fonts and UI change quite a bit and look much cleaner (The greasemonkey and Android icons are really evident of this). The interesting thing, however, is that if I then ENable HWA again everything remains fixed until the next time I close and open PM. I got this issue on PM 12.1 and it persists after upgrading to 12.2. Furthermore, I have firefox installed side by side and it doesn't have the issue. I tested it on a brand new, empty profile and had the same thing.

One more thing, which might be of interest, is that the "blurry fonts" seem present even in the profile manager. Compare PM's and Firefox's:
PM is "blurry" whereas Firefox isn't?
PM is "blurry" whereas Firefox isn't?
Now this all started happening after I upgraded my video card driver to Nvidia's 301.42 so I suspect it's somewhat related. I apologise that I haven't had the time to rollback the installation to confirm this, but for whatever reason PM and Firefox seem to be acting differently. I've checked my (Nvidia) control panel and there's no firefox or PM specific settings being applied or anything like that and that's as far as I've got.

EDIT: The cause is FXAA, a setting that can be disabled in the nvidia Control panel
Last edited by Kushan on 2012-06-09, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

stravinsky

Re: UI issues (possibly hardware Acceleration related).

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-06-09, 14:01

try these two options :

1. enable triple buffering from the Nvidia control panel if its disabled.
If its disabled, enable it.

and/or

2. disable FXAA from the Nvidia control panel . ( i am not sure if this option will be there in your system. AFAIK, its only available in GTx5xx and GTX6xx).

DrTeeth

Unread post by DrTeeth » 2012-06-09, 14:49

The disabling of FXAA fixed it for me - I set up a profile for PM rather than disabling it globally.

It was driving me nuts for ages.

DrT

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-06-09, 16:05

DrTeeth wrote:The disabling of FXAA fixed it for me - I set up a profile for PM rather than disabling it globally.

It was driving me nuts for ages.

DrT
If you are a gamer, you will not be affected at all by disabling that feature, anyways, just like the AMD drivers and disabling "Morphological Filtering."

Kushan

Unread post by Kushan » 2012-06-09, 17:14

Ah yes, it does appear to have been the FXAA that caused it. Thank you, good sir!

I guess the driver must have a hardcoded thing for Firefox built into it or something?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-06-09, 17:35

Kushan wrote:Ah yes, it does appear to have been the FXAA that caused it. Thank you, good sir!

I guess the driver must have a hardcoded thing for Firefox built into it or something?
It is a new feature that needs to be adapted to, so that pretty much covers it.

stravinsky

Re: [RESOLVED]UI issues (possibly hardware Acceleration rela

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-06-10, 02:39

whats strange is that FF is not affected by FXAA. Only PM.

DrTeeth

Unread post by DrTeeth » 2012-06-12, 19:37

stravinsky wrote:whats strange is that FF is not affected by FXAA. Only PM.
What is even stranger...

I multiboot, and I have on the same PC (amongst other things) Win 7 x64, Vista x64 and Win XP x86. All the nVidia drivers are the same release number...the latest non-beta. I run PM 32-bit on XP and PM x64 on the other windows. Only PM-x64 was affected on only Win 7 x64. All the other combinations were okay as were all the FF 32-bit versions running on all three OSs.

DrT

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-12, 20:44

DrTeeth wrote:
stravinsky wrote:whats strange is that FF is not affected by FXAA. Only PM.
What is even stranger...

I multiboot, and I have on the same PC (amongst other things) Win 7 x64, Vista x64 and Win XP x86. All the nVidia drivers are the same release number...the latest non-beta. I run PM 32-bit on XP and PM x64 on the other windows. Only PM-x64 was affected on only Win 7 x64. All the other combinations were okay as were all the FF 32-bit versions running on all three OSs.

DrT
That's not so strange.

You have to realize that you will be using different drivers on XP and Windows 7. It may be the same driver package, but the factually used drivers are different.
The same goes for 32-bit and 64-bit drivers.
So one driver package will have 4 individual drivers for each class/generation of card: XPx86, XPx64, Win7x86, Win7x64 - and you only saw the problem on the Win7x64 driver.
Yay for "unified drivers" to make things "simpler". Now you know why the driver packages are so ridiculously large.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

DrTeeth

Unread post by DrTeeth » 2012-06-12, 21:14

Moonchild wrote: That's not so strange.

You have to realize that you will be using different drivers on XP and Windows 7. It may be the same driver package, but the factually used drivers are different.
The same goes for 32-bit and 64-bit drivers.
So one driver package will have 4 individual drivers for each class/generation of card: XPx86, XPx64, Win7x86, Win7x64 - and you only saw the problem on the Win7x64 driver.
Yay for "unified drivers" to make things "simpler". Now you know why the driver packages are so ridiculously large.
What about the Vista-x64 and the Win7-x64 comparison? The same driver package is downloaded for these two OSs and the one for 32-bit XP is a different package. I am just asking as I am curious and genuinely want to know. To my untrained eye, it does not look as if separate files are installed for the different x64 OSs.

With kind regards

DrT

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-12, 22:41

I don't know if the driver files for Vista and Win7 are different, quite possibly they are. compare exact files sizes of the driver files that get installed, if they differ, then they are different drivers.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

DrTeeth

Unread post by DrTeeth » 2012-06-14, 18:35

Moonchild wrote:I don't know if the driver files for Vista and Win7 are different, quite possibly they are. compare exact files sizes of the driver files that get installed, if they differ, then they are different drivers.
Hi

I have just checked and it is the same driver for both Vista and Win 7 x64s. There is only one set of files included in the package for Vista (x64) and Win 7 (x64).

Cheers

DrT