PM4Linux - Windows-style app menu button (screenshots)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SvenG

Re: PM4Linux - Windows-style app menu button (screenshots)

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-01-17, 11:52

The way it would be implemented with this code, it interferes somehow with Movable Firefox Button, making the appMenu button unnecessarily large and somehow ugly
1.png
1.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
instead of slim and unobtrusive
2.png
2.png (7.21 KiB) Viewed 2160 times

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-01-17, 12:01

I don't understand: if you use Movable Firefox Button, why would you want to install Blue Moon Linux as well? My suggestion would be to simply uninstall it..

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-01-17, 12:07

But if it would be integrated into the core (see the post before mine by the master himself) I can't uninstall it. Nothing against your addon, it's fine for those who like it, but as a core feature it would cause problems for others (at least with the current code).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-17, 12:20

SvenG wrote:But if it would be integrated into the core (see the post before mine by the master himself) I can't uninstall it. Nothing against your addon, it's fine for those who like it, but as a core feature it would cause problems for others (at least with the current code).
The fact that something is in the core doesn't mean it's also always in use... :crazy:
I guess it's too difficult of a concept for people to understand...

But, since people are panicking, just keep it an extension then, Antonius. Saves me work, and if it works this way, then that's fine.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-01-17, 12:25

Moonchild wrote:
SvenG wrote:But if it would be integrated into the core (see the post before mine by the master himself) I can't uninstall it. Nothing against your addon, it's fine for those who like it, but as a core feature it would cause problems for others (at least with the current code).
The fact that something is in the core doesn't mean it's also always in use... :crazy:
I guess it's too difficult of a concept for people to understand...

But, since people are panicking, just keep it an extension then, Antonius. Saves me work, and if it works this way, then that's fine.
I am not panicking. I just said that the way it is implemented in the extension it would break things with other extensions, if it is possible to work around that, I wouldn't mind at all about the feature.... Okay?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-17, 12:33

Well at the very least giving a lot of resistance "but then I can't uninstall it" and "it will cause problems". I also did say "people", not you in particular.

The way a core feature works is very straightforward:
  • If it is optional (behind a pref or menu choice), you don't have to use it.
  • If it's not used, it will not interfere with extensions.
  • If it's CSS styling related, extensions will override core rules.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-01-17, 12:47

Moonchild, sometimes you think too much as a developer. If you can (and, yes, I am aware that it can be done) and would (and the letter is something only you can know) implement it in a way, that it wont interfere in any way with my current setup, I wouldn't care at all about this feature.

Apologies, for giving my uneducated opinion, I promise to never do it again.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-17, 13:00

Jeez.
Sorry for stepping on your toes by trying to explain. I guess I'll just stay in my "developer clique" from now on and don't say anything in public. How's that? Would that satisfy your need for "non-dev" communication? :P

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-01-17, 13:05

SvenG wrote: If you can (and, yes, I am aware that it can be done) and would (and the letter is something only you can know) implement it in a way, that it wont interfere in any way with my current setup, I wouldn't care at all about this feature.
Then why make a fuzz about it? Did you actually think a new feature would be added to the browser core overnight?

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-01-17, 13:15

Forget it, guys. Okay, simply forget it..... :silent:

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-01-17, 13:20

@Tobin: I would like to know how I would go about submitting my extension, Blue Moon Linux, to the Pale Moon add-ons site. If, for some reason, you don't want to help me with that, please just let me know, so I can look at alternative ways to share it.
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2015-01-18, 04:32, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-01-17, 15:20

Antonius32 wrote:@Tobin: I would like to know how I would go about submitting my extension, Blue Moon Linux, to the Pale Moon add-ons site. If, for some reason, you don't want to help me with that, please just let me know, so I can look at alternative ways to share it.
Is this what your deleted PMs were about? It doesn't help that I had no idea what they were about. Also it is lucky I tend to glance at every last post on the forum. This could have been easily missed. Get at me in PM about it.

One suggestion is to make sure this can ONLY be installed on a linux ABI because of course it MAY conflict with Windows versions.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-01-17, 15:27

Don't worry, it can only be installed on Linux.

About the pm's: I deleted them, because not too long ago, you specifically mentioned to me that you preferred not to be contacted by pm. That's why I'm asking here, on the forum.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-01-17, 15:38

Antonius32 wrote:Don't worry, it can only be installed on Linux.

About the pm's: I deleted them, because not too long ago, you specifically mentioned to me that you preferred not to be contacted by pm. That's why I'm asking here, on the forum.
I believe what I said was not using Private Messages as a back and forth Instant Messaging manor. Obviously for official things it can be used. Though as I said at the time for extended conversations I prefer traditional IM or the little known IRC channel on MozNet.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-01-17, 15:40

A new pm is on its way. I look forward to receiving your reply.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-01-17, 16:00

@Tobin: Will you please stop blocking my pm's?

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-01-17, 17:18

:thumbup:

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-01-17, 19:01

@Tobin: I have one more question, with regard to the add-on description: could you please change the description on the add-ons site,

Adds Windows style AppMenu on Linux
to:
Themes the Pale Moon button on Linux, to match the look on Windows
so it matches the description in the Add-ons Manager?

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-01-20, 21:58

Thank you for updating the description, Tobin.