Add Search Engines

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
Sherif Ayad

Add Search Engines

Unread post by Sherif Ayad » 2014-08-14, 00:10

Dear Pale Moon,
I would like to ask one small question which is how to add search engines to search bar I tried so many times but the browser refuses unlike firefox.
I am waiting for feedback and reply.
Best Regards,
Sherif Ayad
sherifayad2010@live.com

mikeysc

Re: Add Search Engines

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-08-14, 03:28

If you have the standalone Search box on a toolbar (not the search function inside the URL bar), then click the down arrow, then click Manage Search Engines. Near the bottom left just above the "Restore Defaults" button, click the link "Get More Search Engines". Then choose the one you want to install. Repeat as needed. If you done that and it doesn't work, explain more with specific error messages if any.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-08-14, 05:57

Hi Sherif, welcome to the forum!

mikeysc's reply is perfect. However, if you want to add a new search engine, which domain is not allowed to install add-ons…

then Pale Moon will ask you to allow that website —or not— to install an add-on/search engine/theme:

Is this what you're talkin'bout?

Sorry about the screenshots' texts — I have Pale Moon in Spanish. Hope you know who to reach Pale Moon's Options menu. :thumbup:

Best.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-08-14, 22:11

And here is a list with many search engines: http://mycroftproject.com

Sherif Ayad

Unread post by Sherif Ayad » 2014-08-21, 07:52

Hello Pale Moon Support,
Is there is a more simple extension to make adding search engines to the search box like the firefox way
I am waiting for feedback and reply
Best Regards,
Sherif Ayad
Moderator note: screaming formatting & e-mail address removed. Please don't post your e-mail address publicly unless you want spam.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-21, 09:22

Click the icon in the search box, then click "manage search engines", and "get more" in the dialog that pops up. very straightforward.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-08-22, 20:27

Sherif Ayad wrote:Is there is a more simple extension to make adding search engines to the search box like the firefox way
You could also try the Add to Search Bar add-on; it allows you to add any search engine you like to the search bar, with just a few clicks of your mouse.

Bifrost

Unread post by Bifrost » 2015-01-10, 07:31

I can't add a custom generated Startpage URL to the search engine drop-down box as I do with Firefox or it's forks. It also doesn't take the plugin from the Firefox when I request other search engines in the drop-down box. Pretty frustrating.

Bifrost

Unread post by Bifrost » 2015-01-11, 07:43

Thanks for the reply Matt. I downloaded and installed the extension, but I do not see how to add my custom generated Startpage URL nor does the "get more search engines" feature work. I am clueless, sorry. I usually use the about: config command and change the necessary values. Thanks for any further suggestions.

Sowmoots

Unread post by Sowmoots » 2015-01-23, 10:53

Hi Bifrost,
I use Startpage myself and was able to add a Startpage search URL with custom parameters generated from https://startpage.com/do/preferences.pl by:
1. Setting the preferred options on the settings page then clicking "Generate URL"
2. Copying the generated URL and opening it in a new tab.
3. Right-click the search bar and click on "Add to search bar..."(provided by the extension Matt A Tobin linked).

I believe you can also do the same by clicking on "Install Custom Plugin" next to "Generate URL" after the URL was generated, but the longer, manual method was what I'm used to from the old Opera. Your post actually reminded me to set up a new custom search plugin for Startpage, since the one I've used was generated a long time ago and they've added some new features since, so thank you. Also sorry for a very late reply, I don't browse the forum frequently.