Problems with some JPG image

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
andy80
Moonbather
Moonbather

Problems with some JPG image

Unread post by andy80 » 2015-01-04, 09:22

Hi all,

I am facing some problem with some JPG image. An example of this is with the "Flowering and fruiting branch..." image from the Pomelo page on wikipedia.
Essentially, I see it as purple and light-blue instead of the expected colors. How can I fix this problem?

Currently I am using Pale Moon 25.1.0 (x64) on my openSUSE 13.1 (x86_64) fully updated with kernel 3.11.10-25-desktop; if I try to access the page via firefox or opera, the image is shown correctly. Also gimp shows it correctly once downloaded.
I tried to check whether it is a problem with some extension, but I obtain the same effect when I run Pale Moon as a newly created user.
I have also tried on ubuntu 14.04 in VirtualBox with again the same effect.

Any hint?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Problems with some JPG image

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-04, 09:35

It's likely related to an incorrect ICC profile in the image and/or an incorrect color profile in your OS.
Try setting gfx.color_management.mode to 0 and see if that fixes your problem (restart of the browser is required).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andy80
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by andy80 » 2015-01-04, 10:03

Thanks for the very fast reply.

Setting the option to 0 has fixed the problem. Probably there is something wrong in the image, since almost all JPGs are shown correctly.

I wonder how the other programs are able to show it correctly anyway (gimp, viewnoir, display, ristretto, opera, firefox).
Moreover, if I open the image with gimp and I save it as JPG, then Pale Moon shows the new image correctly with the original gfx.color_management.mode = 2.

Thanks again.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-04, 10:40

Other programs will show it correctly if they don't support ICC color profiles, or possibly if they only support v2 color profiles (like Firefox) and not v4. Loading the file in an editor that doesn't support ICC and then saving it, will save it without the color profile - thereby eliminating the problem ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2015-01-04, 22:57

Moonchild wrote:It's likely related to an incorrect ICC profile in the image and/or an incorrect color profile in your OS.
Try setting gfx.color_management.mode to 0 and see if that fixes your problem (restart of the browser is required).
We've had a similar discussion before, but without, from what I can see, a suggested config change to deal with the issue in that thread?

@Moonchild
In reading over this thread ===> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5419 ... I guess the downside to setting 'gfx.color_management.mode=0' is possible degradation of PM browser performance?

FWIW, I'm seeing this issue with the image linked by the OP above on three of my machines (all PM 25.1.0, 1-Win7 PM 32-bit, 2-Linux PM 64-bit), all with different hardware configs. None of which I have done any sort monitor config for color profiling.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-05, 10:29

martywd wrote:I guess the downside to setting 'gfx.color_management.mode=0' is possible degradation of PM browser performance?
No, it's not. It would ignore color profiles in images and always display them as standard (not color-corrected) RGB. It means for images with a proper ICC profile, you will not see the color-corrected version of the image - often reducing visually enhanced quality of e.g. photographs.
So the degradation would be visual (for ICC-tagged images) and not performance.
martywd wrote:FWIW, I'm seeing this issue with the image linked by the OP above on three of my machines (all PM 25.1.0, 1-Win7 PM 32-bit, 2-Linux PM 64-bit), all with different hardware configs. None of which I have done any sort monitor config for color profiling.
And I'm not seeing it - but then again, I have gone through the simple wizard in Windows 7 to profile my monitor, and as a result have been able to set the rendering intent to "Embedded color" without penalty (which would probably avoid the forced conversion issues you're seeing otherwise). Setting it to "embedded color" on a non-profiled monitor will very likely cause other display issues.

(By the way, the wizard can be found under Control Panel -> Display, the link "Calibrate color" on the left-hand side - requires Admin rights)

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2015-01-05, 15:57

martywd wrote:I guess the downside to setting 'gfx.color_management.mode=0' is possible degradation of PM browser performance?
Moonchild wrote:No, it's not.
OK? <== marty's skeptical...
martywd wrote:FWIW, I'm seeing this issue with the image linked by the OP above on three of my machines (all PM 25.1.0, 1-Win7 PM 32-bit, 2-Linux PM 64-bit), all with different hardware configs. None of which I have done any sort monitor config for color profiling.
Moonchild wrote:And I'm not seeing it - but then again, I have gone through the simple wizard in Windows 7 to profile my monitor, and as a result have been able to set the rendering intent to "Embedded color" without penalty (which would probably avoid the forced conversion issues you're seeing otherwise). Setting it to "embedded color" on a non-profiled monitor will very likely cause other display issues.

(By the way, the wizard can be found under Control Panel -> Display, the link "Calibrate color" on the left-hand side - requires Admin rights)
Alright. Went through the Windows 'wizard' as suggested. And.... It worked! ==> Note: After running the Windows 'wizard' and after successful completion of the wizard, you must _restart_ Pale Moon inorder to see the 'correct' color rendition in the image example linked by the OP.

Now I have to figure out how to do this re-calibration in Linux Mint 17.1? .... Thanks very much Moonchild.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-05, 16:04

re: Skeptical "OK"

Not applying color correction and conversion is actually faster - so switching it off would certainly not have a performance trade-off in Pale Moon ;)

Glad to hear the calibration solved it -- it's something I tend to always do first thing when I get a new card or monitor, and Windows will oftentimes not have a pre-baked monitor/card profile for your display - what it ends up with may be really "off" as a result.

I don't know how to do this profile creation and calibration in Linux, maybe some of our Linux users can provide some pointers!

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2015-01-05, 18:29

martywd wrote:Now I have to figure out how to do this re-calibration in Linux Mint 17.1? .... Thanks very much Moonchild.
Moonchild wrote:I don't know how to do this profile creation and calibration in Linux, maybe some of our Linux users can provide some pointers!
Unfortunate sentence construction on my part. I didn't expect you, Moonchild, to 'fix' Linux for me! I should have just typed 'Thanks...' and left it at that.

FWIW, a duckduckgo search gives links dating back years regarding display calibration in Linux.

One graphical utility called 'lprof' looks to be the most promising for a non-technical user? Unfortunately 'lprof' is not available in a .deb and thus far attempts by me to compile same from source have only yielded errors which inputed into duckduckgo get me no further clues to how proceed.

At this point in Linux, it's ignore this issue altogether since it's a rarity as is, or reconfigure the "gfx.color_management.mode' setting, imo.

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-01-06, 00:46

You could have a look at this article on the Archlinux wiki. (The info isn't specific to Arch.)