What do you guys think of Google Chrome?

General discussion and chat (archived)
Pnume

What do you guys think of Google Chrome?

Unread post by Pnume » 2012-05-19, 10:45

It saddens me that everyone is switching from Firefox to Google Chrome because "Chrome is newer and better". Whenever I've used it, I've had nothing but problems with it. It may be faster than Firefox, but it's unstable and the add-ons available for it are mostly inferior to Firefox's.

Does it work like shit for anyone else here?

Rohugh

Re: What do you guys think of Google Chrome?

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-19, 10:51

Google Chrome is with no doubt a good browser, it works well and is fast, I had no problems with it when I used it for a while. But everyone has their own preferences (and opinions) and I guess at the moment it is the "in thing". I like a sidebar as I have a lot of bookmarks that I want available on screen all the time and Chrome can't offer that.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-05-19, 11:46

I've never used and/or installed Google Chrome in either of my two computers. I've used a very similar Chrome type browser called Comodo Dragon which looks exactly like Chrome in my opinion. Dragon was okay, but Pale Moon is faster for some reason on both of my computers than Dragon is. Also, where the extensions were similar for both Pale Moon and Dragon, I liked where the extensions were placed in Pale Moon and Firefox better. For instance, for an IE Tab extension in Dragon, this extension placed another small toolbar below the Address Bar. Not cool for me. I want more viewing area, not less because some extensions create more toolbars. Other extensions in Dragon placed their icons in the Address Bar which is a place I don't want them to be.

Also, Dragon's option to increase the View didn't have incremental options as the NoSquint extension which increases the View in 5% increments and works with both Pale Moon and Firefox.

I also don't like Google Chrome's "silent update" feature which can't be disabled. Sometimes browser developers (power users) put "new" features in which I don't like and when they do, this is when I don't update to the latest and newest version. The SeaMonkey browser developers did this when they put in their new Data Manager starting with v2.1 (which is now up to v2.9) and it's absolutely horrible for a non technical person like me to work with. This new and so called "improved" Data Manager made me do lots of UNNECESSARY mouse clicks which I didn't have to do with the last good version of SeaMonkey which in my opinion for a non technical person was v2.0.14 which I reverted back to with a new profile and which I still have on both of my Windows 7 computers. I know about the security arguments, but I've got a good antivirus program in Avast and a good firewall program with a HIPPS feature called Defense + (Plus) in the Comodo Firewall which keeps me safe so the security argument is a moot point with me. But, I've been going to the same sites I've been going to for the last 9 years and I haven't had any problems with some hacker hacking into these sites trying to attack my computers or trying to take over my computers and turn them into BOTs.

For these and other reasons which I won't go into, I uninstalled Dragon.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-05-19, 14:16

installed it and didnt like it at all. uninstalled it.

its the newest in thing though, if statistics are anything to go by.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2012-05-19, 14:24

Tried it, within an hour uninstalled it. I don't like the simplicity of it; I like to customise my browser. I also don't like how Google tracks you at every possible instance using this or the Google updater (which stays installed after removing the offending program, at least in my experience). The add-ons for it are limited, and they must have icons placed on the toolbar, removing space for the rest of the toolbar items. Themes are not themes at all, in fact they're basically Firefox/Pale Moon Personas, an image behind the UI; nowhere near as huge a conversion as Firefox themes are. Toolbar items can't be moved around, either, so if something's in a place you don't like you can't change that.

Chrome may be fast, but that's about all it can do. It's basically a no-frills browser meant purely for browsing the web and nothing else, apart from that ridiculous "Web app" store they have, which basically forces you to pay to access a particular web page.

It probably has a high amount of users due to a lot of freeware programs bundling it in the installer, Flash included.

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2012-05-19, 15:53

Lootyhoof wrote:It probably has a high amount of users due to a lot of freeware programs bundling it in the installer, Flash included.
Yeah, and Google has been advertising Chrome on their home page for a while now. If you click on the x the ad goes away but re-appears whenever you clear your cookies.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-05-19, 16:05

I dont use Chrome.

No need for a browser, what send all my data to google. And in Chrome i have no NoScript and no AdblockPlus, so i dont need this browser.

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2012-05-19, 17:54

dark_moon wrote:I dont use Chrome.

No need for a browser, what send all my data to google. And in Chrome i have no NoScript and no AdblockPlus, so i dont need this browser.
There are versions of those add-ons for Chrome, but they're feeble in comparison to the Firefox versions. AdBlock Plus doesn't even truly block ads in Chrome; it merely hides them (and it doesn't even do that good of a job of hiding them; from time to time you see ads for a second or so before they become hidden). So ads still end up wasting bandwidth.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-19, 18:10

I am OK with some ads showing, like on here where they are not obtrusive or annoying pop ups. If it helps the site then all well and good, but when they are "in your face" and/or on sites I rarely visit then Ad Block stays enabled.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-19, 18:19

Lootyhoof wrote:It probably has a high amount of users due to a lot of freeware programs bundling it in the installer, Flash included.
I was kind of dismayed learning that initially neutral software vendors like Avast! also try to force Google Chrome upon its users when downloading (and if you're not paying close attention it will be installed including the Google Update service which can be notoriously difficult to get rid of again). And that's not just the free version I'm talking about, I saw it when installing a trial of their Pro version which is payware.

Seriously, it's about the most aggressive pushing of a particular piece of software I've seen in a long time. And no, it doesn't make me want to use Chrome any more than before, quite the opposite.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tallpaultn

Unread post by Tallpaultn » 2012-05-20, 03:59

I used Google Chrome Browser for a long time, but stopped using it & now use Comodo Dragon & SRWare Iron Browsers which are similar to Google Chrome except suit my needs much better. Both browsers are as fast, if not faster than Google Chrome Browser, are updated regularly, have less privacy issues, smaller footprint, etc. I highly recommend both of the above Browsers. Using them along with Pale Moon Browser, I am able to accomplish all my browsing needs with ease... :thumbup:

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-05-20, 05:41

I just dislike the idea that every click, every page, every image, every keystroke... is evaluated in the mean ad machine of google and for just use the browser I accept that they grind all my preferences for show me ads and things that I don't want. That's enough for me for never use Chrome.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-20, 08:14

Tallpaultn wrote:...Using them along with Pale Moon Browser, I am able to accomplish all my browsing needs with ease... :thumbup:
So in what way can't you use Pale Moon for all your browsing needs? I haven't really seen a reason to ever use a second or third browser for anything (apart from some old sites that will ONLY work in MSIE, those are thankfully very rare though)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tallpaultn

Unread post by Tallpaultn » 2012-05-20, 15:57

I think that I could likely use Pale Moon browser for all my browsing needs, but I sometimes enjoy using Google Chrome type browsers also. I haven't tried to access any sites recently that Pale Moon wouldn't open.

I use Windows Mail & use 'send a link by e-mail' quite often. There are several random sites on which I want to 'send a link by e-mail' that will not work in Google Chrome, SRWare Iron or Comodo Dragon Browsers for whatever reason, but can do so with Pale Moon Browser without any issues.

I like being able to use different browsers from time to time & sometimes if I have trouble accessing a site on one browser, switching to another browser will allow me to access the site(s). Also, if a browser is down for some reason, I like being able to use another browser. As you said, thankfully, sites that will only open in MSIE are pretty rare these days...

dv8cowboy

Unread post by dv8cowboy » 2012-05-20, 16:05

Comodo Dragon is much better,without all the 'fluf'...

-Cowboy
(still can't compare with Pale Moon 64bit!)

Trala

Unread post by Trala » 2012-05-28, 18:48

Even Corel and their multi-hundreds of dollars suites was pushing Google toolbar and browser with one of their recent PSP downloads. It is one thing if a small freeware app is doing this (however averse to that I still am), but for huge companies to be doing this with installers used for (paid) activation is downright appalling. My 'policy' toward applications to either include adware or have ridiculous activation methods (such as Corel does) is that I simply leave them in the dust.

Jillian

Unread post by Jillian » 2012-06-06, 19:30

Chrome is an excellent browser. Love Chrome.

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2012-06-07, 00:22

Jillian wrote:Love Chrome.
. . . but not as much as Firefox/Pale Moon. Right?

Thrawn

Unread post by Thrawn » 2012-06-07, 00:26

Jillian wrote:Chrome is an excellent browser. Love Chrome.
As an out-of-the-box browser, probably it is good, yes. I'm sure the real thing is better than the imitation that Mozilla is creating.

However, Chrome's addon support is much more limited than in Firefox. NoScript and Adblock Plus, as mentioned earlier, are excellent examples and I can strongly recommend them, but they're just the beginning. Addons allow you to turn Firefox (or Pale Moon) into whatever kind of browser you want it to be, whether it's for security, social networking, shopping, gaming, communication, etc. It's your choice. The choices on Chrome are much more limited.

Just as Mozilla's vision of Firefox is a pale imitation of Chrome, Chrome's addon support is a pale imitation of Firefox.

However, Chrome's addon support is improving, and Mozilla is actually taking steps that marginalise their addon community. Once a fully-featured NoScript for Chrome appears, then I'll be really interested. Although I'd likely go for Chromium rather than actual Chrome. Google knows enough about me already, thanks.

vayth

Unread post by vayth » 2012-06-17, 04:53

I'm using both Chrome and Palemoon. As for now, Chrome is my default browser since Adblock Plus available in Chrome (yeah, that's the only critical add-on, and while other Firefox add-ons are cool, I can live without them). So far, Chrome is faster, and better at html5 things (I compared a HTML5 game, unfortunately I forgot the url, which it runs smoothly on Chrome and very laggy on Palemoon/Firefox). Chrome also better at 80k particles webGL, although Palemoon isn't fall behind too much.
I also like Chrome's tabs better than Firefox's endless-scrolling tabs (not Palemoon's fault of course)

Well, it's not affect most task I usually do with browser, that's why I still keep Palemoon up-to-date. And since I don't like Google's stalker policy, I'm still waiting the day it gets better than Chrome.