Toolbar Problem

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Invictus

Toolbar Problem

Unread post by Invictus » 2012-05-26, 11:38

When I create a custom toolbar in Pale Moon 12 and add items to it, the toolbar disappears leaving me with only the default bookmarks toolbar.

I've restarted Pale Moon in safe mode and selecting reset toolbars option, I've also deleted my localstore.rdf and re-created the custom toolbar, but still for some reason it will not save.

Another related problem is sometimes when I start Pale Moon it will only show me some of the bookmarks that are on my bookmarks toolbar instead of all of them. If you go to organize bookmarks they're all there but it just does not display them all on the toolbar for some reason. If I click on Restore Down to make the Pale Moon window smaller it will suddenly show all the bookmarks on the bookmarks toolbar, but once I restart Pale Moon the problem is back again and I have to click Restore Down to display all my bookmarks.

I'm running Windows 7 32 Bit
Browser Version is Pale Moon 12
Theme: Simple Style Fox - Black
  • Adblock Plus
  • Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
  • Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
  • English (Australia Dictionary)
  • FEBE
  • Forcastfox
  • FoxClocks
  • Ghostery
  • Greasefire
  • GreaseMonkey
  • Https-Everywhere
  • Imgur Uploader
  • Linkification
  • Net Usage Item
  • Password Exporter
  • Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar
  • Search Image Everywhere
  • StumbleUpon
  • WorldIP
  • WOT
  • Xmarks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Toolbar Problem

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-26, 11:59

These actually are two separate issues. The first is a "ghost in the machine" bug that has been plaguing Firefox since v1.5 - It's confirmed and plenty of duplicates filed, but there hasn't been any progress on a solution since the issue seems to randomly resolve itself and not return. See bug #319196 which is marked critical, but no resolution for it.

The second may be due to:
  • Theme: Simple Style Fox - Black
Of which the add-on is the more likely candidate. I don't think the other items would interfere. Please check if using a default theme or removing the add-on fixed your second issue. If not, it may also be a layering issue (commonly happens on some especially integrated/laptop video chips) which may be solved by updating your video drivers or disabling hardware acceleration.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Micster

Unread post by Micster » 2012-05-26, 20:09

Regarding the second issue, and the second candidate "Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar", it's been reported by other users of this add-on that they had problems with disappearing bookmarks.
Reviews

by missylo on May 25, 2012
1.3.6 fixed the disappearing bookmarks problem after i upgraded to ff 12.0

by thisdaydreamer on May 24, 2012
I also had the issue of disappearing bookmarks, but they all reappeared today, much to my relief.
Source: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s-toolbar/

Invictus

Unread post by Invictus » 2012-05-27, 09:14

Moonchild wrote:These actually are two separate issues. The first is a "ghost in the machine" bug that has been plaguing Firefox since v1.5 - It's confirmed and plenty of duplicates filed, but there hasn't been any progress on a solution since the issue seems to randomly resolve itself and not return. See bug #319196 which is marked critical, but no resolution for it.

The second may be due to:
  • Theme: Simple Style Fox - Black
Of which the add-on is the more likely candidate. I don't think the other items would interfere. Please check if using a default theme or removing the add-on fixed your second issue. If not, it may also be a layering issue (commonly happens on some especially integrated/laptop video chips) which may be solved by updating your video drivers or disabling hardware acceleration.
I forgot to mention that I restarted Pale Moon in Safe Mode created a custom toolbar and then restarted Pale Moon again and the toolbar had disappeared. ATM in order to have two toolbars, I have to use the default bookmarks toolbar and make stumbleupon use a toolbar and add what ever custom items I need to that.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-27, 09:30

Unfortunately the vanishing toolbar problem won't be fixed in Safe Mode, since it's core functionality that behaves oddly. It's a known problem but extremely hard to reproduce, as said, and will regularly "solve itself" over time. It's vague, I know, but it's a very elusive bug that never shows clearly.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

marcus

Unread post by marcus » 2012-06-14, 20:43

Can someone please tell me if this issue has been resolved with build 12.2? Because I had the exact same problem and had to go back to 9.01 in order to get my bookmarks back.

Thanks!

marcus

Unread post by marcus » 2012-06-14, 21:00

Well to answer my own question, it is somewhat solved now, all I had to do was turning toolbars on/off a couple of times and my bookmark toolbars re-appeared. Hope they won't vanish again! :D

marcus

Unread post by marcus » 2012-06-14, 21:18

Update: Nope, it isn't really solved. :( Every time I close and re-open Palemoon 12.2 my toolbars are gone again.

O well, back to 9.01 for the time being. :?