Java for PM 25.0.2 (x64) linux?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Zootal

Java for PM 25.0.2 (x64) linux?

Unread post by Zootal » 2014-11-05, 21:45

I'm running PM 25.0.2 (x64) on 64 bit linux. In about:plugins, I see "No installed plugins found".

If I run firefox, and look at about:plugins I see Java(TM) Plug-in 11.25.2. I added this to firefox by symlinking my java libnpjp2.so to /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins. There is also a skype plugin there, and firefox sees that also. Palemoon does not seem to recognize either.

So the question is, how do I get java working in PaleMoon?

access2godzilla

Re: Java for PM 25.0.2 (x64) linux?

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-11-06, 04:08

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2014-11-06, 15:23

I did use the search, and advising one to do so doesn't help any.

I finally realized that 64 bit PaleMoon was not looking in /usr/lib64 like you would expect a 64 bit app to do, but was looking in /usr/lib.

So the answer is that although on a 64 bit system FireFox looks in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins, 64 bit PaleMoon looks in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and you have to copy /usr/lib64/mozilla to /usr/lib/mozilla. Once I did that, PaleMoon recognized my plugins, and java seems to work. The java control panel won't run, it crashes, but that does not seem to be a PaleMoon problem. I'll have to get that resolved before I can resume PaleMoon testing, but for now the answer is to copy or symlink /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2014-11-06, 16:07

When I installed PM 24 I was happily surprised by the fact that I did not have to migrate the plugins (while I had to migrate addons and other prefs from ~/.mozilla/firefox/wynwa44x.default/to ~/.moonchild\ productions/pale\ moon/w5zr0qvy.default/ (actually did it with FEBE) ...

... in fact in my case both firefox and PM look for plugins in ~/.mozilla/plugins/ where I have a soft link
libnpjp2.so -> /usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so*
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2014-11-07, 14:31

[quote=
... in fact in my case both firefox and PM look for plugins in ~/.mozilla/plugins/ where I have a soft link
libnpjp2.so -> /usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so*[/quote]

I don't even have a ~/.mozilla/plugins/ - don't really want to customize plugins for each user, either, hence the usage of /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins. I just found it odd that 64 bit PM would look in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, where 64 bit firefox uses /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins.