PaleMoon 25 coming to Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cyansmoker

PaleMoon 25 coming to Linux

Unread post by cyansmoker » 2014-10-15, 05:57

All apologies guys; got a bad injury about a month ago and somehow convinced myself that I had already released PM25.

I'll try to have it ready by tomorrow!

mapurite

Re: PaleMoon 25 coming to Linux

Unread post by mapurite » 2014-10-15, 07:32

dont worry bro, just do not forget us :thumbup:

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-10-15, 07:55

mapurite wrote:dont worry bro, just do not forget us :thumbup:
Yeah, others already made enough drama. :wtf:

No need to hurry cyansmoker... Hope you are okay, there are some things that are more important that software releases.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-15, 08:38

Just take your time and take care of your injury.

BTW, Windows Pale Moon is going to go to 25.0.1 because (I think) there is a security issue in version (25.0). If there is going to be a linux Pale Moon 25.0.1, then I will wait for this version.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

branwerks

Unread post by branwerks » 2014-11-02, 12:36

I posted on Facebook that not being able to get into my Amazon Music Library isn't a dealbreaker, and it isn't, but now I can't sign into my bank. Compatibility mode or not, I get this:

"The connection was interrupted

The connection to mybankname.com was interrupted while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Pale Moon is permitted to access the Web."

Running 25.0.2 on Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty. I'll keep an eye out on Sourceforge for 25.0.3 with more compatibility issues fixed, which hopefully will be soon.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-11-02, 14:07

branwerks wrote:Running 25.0.2 on Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty. I'll keep an eye out on Sourceforge for 25.0.3 with more compatibility issues fixed, which hopefully will be soon.
I'm not having any problems using linux 25.0.2 in (linux Mint 17) getting into my pharmacy account for my medications since I do all of them online. I do not have Firefox Compat mode enabled nor do I have User Agent Overrider enabled either.

I do not do online banking so I can not test 25.0.2 on my bank.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2014-11-02, 16:24

I don't have any problems signing into my credit union using 25.0.2 (x64) on SolydX.

Do some trouble shooting.

branwerks

Unread post by branwerks » 2014-11-02, 16:49

troypulk wrote:I don't have any problems signing into my credit union using 25.0.2 (x64) on SolydX.

Do some trouble shooting.
I forgot to mention, and apparently this needs mentioning - I'm new to this and trying to hang in there. Answers like "do some troubleshooting" without SOME detail or direction aren't really helping me out. Pale Moon "point" releases are fixes for site compatibility issues, which is exactly what I have going on. ALL other browsers I use or try aren't having any problems opening pages so I don't think the work nneding to be done is on my end.

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2014-11-02, 17:04

branwerks wrote:I posted on Facebook that not being able to get into my Amazon Music Library...
Have you tried turning on 'Firefox compatibility mode'? Doing so allows me to connect to amazon's Music Library in both Linux and Windows (PM 25.0.2). FAQ here: ==> viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6004&p=41312&hilit ... ility+mode
... I can't sign into my bank. Compatibility mode or not, I get this:

"The connection was interrupted

The connection to mybankname.com was interrupted while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Pale Moon is permitted to access the Web."

Running 25.0.2 on Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty. I'll keep an eye out on Sourceforge for 25.0.3 with more compatibility issues fixed, which hopefully will be soon.
This has nothing to do with 'Comatibility mode'. Your bank needs to upgrade their secure servers. FAQ here: ==> viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6262

branwerks

Unread post by branwerks » 2014-11-02, 19:11

I can't get into amazon music library. Moot point now.

Thank you for the suggested link, and from there:

"Thanks for the reply. You are absolutely correct. Reducing the min security to SSL 3.0 allowed the page to load. This is the site for my banking, so is strange that they are so behind the times. I have IE Tab extension installed, so will just use it for accessing this site and leave the security settings at TLS. I will talk to my bank about it.
Thanks again"

So it's not just me, but it's no consolation.My credit union strikes again, and talking with them will yield no results, I've been down that roas too many times. At any rate, I will go ahead and try the Pale Moon Commander Extension as I am on Linux and in a galaxy far,far away from ie tab or anyting of the like.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2014-11-03, 01:44

I forgot to mention, and apparently this needs mentioning - I'm new to this and trying to hang in there. Answers like "do some troubleshooting" without SOME detail or direction aren't really helping me out. Pale Moon "point" releases are fixes for site compatibility issues, which is exactly what I have going on. ALL other browsers I use or try aren't having any problems opening pages so I don't think the work nneding to be done is on my end.
Sorry, I was assuming you were not new. :mrgreen:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-03, 09:25

The secure connections issue is less of a problem in Firefox and Chrome because they employ a "last resort" fallback method by pretending to support a lower "highest protocol version" and simply do a dumb retry over and over at lower and lower security levels, without any sort of indication of this to the user.

I do understand that from a user point of view, it may seem that "Pale Moon has a problem" because the bottom line is that you can't connect with it and you can with other browsers, despite the fact that it's a server issue (other browsers work around this type of server configuration and never inform the user that there is a problem, so the problem never gets addressed by the server operators since it's usually not even known as a result of this "silent retrying").
Off-topic:
In fact, the IETF is currently working on a "workaround for this dumb retry workaround" in terms of SCSV, which should not at all be needed (and is a moot point, but that's very much off-topic for this thread so I won't elaborate).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite