Updating to version 25.0.2

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MGA74

Updating to version 25.0.2

Unread post by MGA74 » 2014-10-30, 13:28

Hello,

My Linux Mint 17 Atom machine is currently running version 24.7.2 (x86).

I would like to move to version 25 but I am unsure how to do it. Could you please confirm that (based on the SourceForge wiki),
I should:
1. Delete my existing installation - but how? Installed via the pminstaller. Do I simply delete /opt/palemoon?
2. Download the latest pminstaller
3. Execute tar -xvf <palemoon_archive> -C /opt

Thank you.

access2godzilla

Re: Updating to version 25.0.2

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-30, 13:40

You just need to run pminstaller on your system. You do not have to worry about anything else.

The other steps are entirely meant for a manual installation.

MGA74

Unread post by MGA74 » 2014-10-30, 15:47

Thank you for your very prompt reply.

I'm sorry but that has not worked!

Double clicked on pminstaller.sh and was greeted by an error message:

"Pluma has been unable to check the character encoding. Please check you are not trying to open a binary file. Select a character encoding from the menu and try again" (It is set to 'Character encoding - Automatically detected')

What have I done wrong?

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-30, 16:13

Some file managers are in the habit of seeing executable shell scripts as text files and try to open them as such. That's what you are seeing here.

You need to run it from the terminal. For details, please read the README file bundled in the installer archive.

MGA74

Unread post by MGA74 » 2014-10-30, 17:55

Sorry, still having problems. (Please be patient with me...!)

I have ensured that pminstaller-0.1.6.tar.bz2 is in my home directory. When I go to the Terminal and type pminstaller.sh at the prompt I am told 'command not found'.

Help!

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-10-30, 18:03

Are you logged in as admin/root? If yes try

Code: Select all

sudo bash pminstaller.sh
or

sudo ./pminstaller.sh
That works at least on Ubuntu Trusty, should be similar to Mint 17.

EDIT: You are using Mint Mate? That uses Caja as a file manager and Caja is a fork of Nautilus which is the default in Ubuntu and that one has problems identifying the script as an executable, so maybe the forked that problem as well :crazy: . I had a similar problem until I switched to Nemo.

MGA74

Unread post by MGA74 » 2014-10-30, 18:22

SvenG - That solved my problem, very many thanks. Pale Moon 25.0.2 up and running. Yes, running Mint Mate.

Thanks also to access2godzilla for pointing me in the right direction.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-31, 07:10

For the record, you don't even have to run it with sudo/su. Just execute the script with "./pminstaller.sh"; it will automatically ask for elevation.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-10-31, 08:39

access2godzilla wrote:Just execute the script with "./pminstaller.sh"; it will automatically ask for elevation.
Doing that from my admin account in Trusty that results in:

/usr/bin/sudo
No protocol specified

(yad:13798): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
The installer only pops up when you sudo it.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-31, 09:40

This should not be happening... I'll have to look into this.

You are using the latest version of the installer, I'd assume?

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2014-10-31, 15:14

SvenG wrote:Doing that from my admin account in Trusty that results in:

/usr/bin/sudo
No protocol specified

(yad:13798): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
The installer only pops up when you sudo it.
Doing that from my admin account in Trusty...
So does this mean you are running './pminstaller.sh' logged into X as 'root' or in a x-terminal window sudo'd to 'root'? If so, that could explain why you see that error when running './pminstaller.sh'?

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-10-31, 15:44

Damn, yeah, sure. So used to su into my admin account in the terminal to do all kinds of things console. Haven't opened the actual account for six month now :geek:

Still no need for two quotes :D

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-31, 16:59

SvenG, if you could answer my previous question it might help me to fix this bug.

Does the password prompt appear for you?

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-10-31, 17:16

access2godzilla wrote:SvenG, if you could answer my previous question it might help me to fix this bug.
I would have answered if I would have seen it, sorry. Yes, I used the latest version.

Anyway, it appears to be not a bug cause it needs the sudo when su'ing into the admin account from a normal account in the console instead of running it directly in the admin account when doing that you don't need the sudo.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-31, 17:26

I seem to have not made it sufficiently clear: if you run it as a non-admin (without sudo/su), does it ask for the password?

The expected behaviour is that it should ask for the password.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-10-31, 17:32

access2godzilla wrote:I seem to have not made it sufficiently clear: if you run it as a non-admin (without sudo/su), does it ask for the password?

Yes, it does but can't do anything cause it doesn't have the respective rights.

OLee_

Unread post by OLee_ » 2014-11-02, 04:22

SvenG wrote:
access2godzilla wrote:I seem to have not made it sufficiently clear: if you run it as a non-admin (without sudo/su), does it ask for the password?

Yes, it does but can't do anything cause it doesn't have the respective rights.
On Linux Mint 17, I downloaded the installer and expanded it into my Home directory and did a double-click on pminstaller.sh to run the script. I was asked for my password and then I was able to quickly install Pale Moon. There was no issue of rights, maybe because I was in my Home directory and didn't need any additional rights there. Just a thought...

OLee