problems in PM in Linux Lite 2.0

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
erksutton

problems in PM in Linux Lite 2.0

Unread post by erksutton » 2014-10-28, 10:11

I have 2 problems
1) I cannot delete the bookmarks toolbar.
2) When I logon to my bank it says "unsupported browser"

I do not get these problems in 64 bit PM on Windows7

I have to say that PaleMoon has always impressed me with it speed and reliabily .
It also allows many changes that the latest FireFoxes do not eg text in icons,downloads window,etc.

TF_BS

Re: problems in PM in Linux Lite 2.0

Unread post by TF_BS » 2014-10-28, 12:04

Hi,
I have no idea, why the bookmarks-toolbar can not be switched off. Normally it shoud work with [View] -> [Toolbars] and unckeck the appropriate checkbox.
You have to override the pale moon's useragent for your bank url . If you do not know how to do this, there should be an instruction in this forum. (I up to now only found the German one ;-( )
Regards
TF

hitokage
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hitokage » 2014-10-28, 14:43

erksutton - Regarding your second question - what version are you running? 25.0 and 25.0.1 do not have Firefox compatibility mode for the UserAgent string turned on by default - 25.0.2 does (the update was just released for Linux today). The other possibility if you have 25.0.2 already, would be from SSL 3 being disabled, and your bank's website not negotiating security properly.

erksutton

Unread post by erksutton » 2014-10-29, 10:25

hitokage wrote:erksutton - Regarding your second question - what version are you running? 25.0 and 25.0.1 do not have Firefox compatibility mode for the UserAgent string turned on by default - 25.0.2 does (the update was just released for Linux today). The other possibility if you have 25.0.2 already, would be from SSL 3 being disabled, and your bank's website not negotiating security properly.
I have PM version 25.01.
Eric Sutton

hitokage
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hitokage » 2014-10-29, 12:37

You'll want to grab 25.0.2 then, since it turns Firefox compatibility mode on by default (for the UserAgent string), disables SSL 3 by default to resolve the POODLE vulnerability, and other things.

erksutton

Unread post by erksutton » 2014-11-13, 15:56

1)Thanks! updating to PM 25.02 fixed the problem with the bank website.
2) Removing the Bookmarks toolbar in the bookmarks menu.
I tried the view toolbars menu uncheck and it did not do anything.
I note that FFox 33 suffers the same problem,so it could be as PM uses the code as FF the problem is with them.

Please help to sort this .
Eric Sutton

TF_BS wrote:Hi,
I have no idea, why the bookmarks-toolbar can not be switched off. Normally it shoud work with [View] -> [Toolbars] and unckeck the appropriate checkbox.
You have to override the pale moon's useragent for your bank url . If you do not know how to do this, there should be an instruction in this forum. (I up to now only found the German one ;-( )
Regards
TF

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-11-13, 16:12

Did you copy your profile from Firefox or does it happen on a blank profile? If the first is the case you might want to try this
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... -not-saved
Just make sure that you backup your profile, just in case it doesn't work.

erksutton

Unread post by erksutton » 2014-11-14, 10:42

SvenG wrote:Did you copy your profile from Firefox or does it happen on a blank profile? If the first is the case you might want to try this
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... -not-saved
Just make sure that you backup your profile, just in case it doesn't work.
No I did not the profile from firefox.
Eric Sutton

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-11-14, 18:07

So it happens independently in Firefox and Pale Moon? That's weird. Maybe an issue with your user account or the Linux distro. I am not very familiar with it, it is based on Ubuntu with an Xfce desktop both is not that uncommon, also searching for similar issues led to no useful results. You could try what is described in the link anyway.

You could also try to alter localstore.rdf directly. That is actually not recommended since you could easily break things (so make a backup of your profile before trying at least if it contains anything that is of value for you). The respective entry should look like this

Code: Select all

<RDF:Description RDF:about="chrome://browser/content/browser.xul#PersonalToolbar"
                   currentset="personal-bookmarks"
                   collapsed="true" />
for a closed bookmarks toolbar. localstore.rdf is in your profile directory if you don't know where that is type about:support in your address bar and hit enter, not too much down the page you will find a button to open your profile directory in your file manager, look for localstore.rdf and open it in your texteditor (IIRC Xfce comes with Leafpad, that should work). Most likely you will have to close Pale Moon, alter localstore.rdf and then reopen Pale Moon. I haven't tried it, so it might or might not work.

erksutton

Unread post by erksutton » 2014-11-15, 11:39

SvenG wrote:So it happens independently in Firefox and Pale Moon? That's weird. Maybe an issue with your user account or the Linux distro. I am not very familiar with it, it is based on Ubuntu with an Xfce desktop both is not that uncommon, also searching for similar issues led to no useful results. You could try what is described in the link anyway.

You could also try to alter localstore.rdf directly. That is actually not recommended since you could easily break things (so make a backup of your profile before trying at least if it contains anything that is of value for you). The respective entry should look like this

Code: Select all

<RDF:Description RDF:about="chrome://browser/content/browser.xul#PersonalToolbar"
                   currentset="personal-bookmarks"
                   collapsed="true" />
for a closed bookmarks toolbar. localstore.rdf is in your profile directory if you don't know where that is type about:support in your address bar and hit enter, not too much down the page you will find a button to open your profile directory in your file manager, look for localstore.rdf and open it in your texteditor (IIRC Xfce comes with Leafpad, that should work). Most likely you will have to close Pale Moon, alter localstore.rdf and then reopen Pale Moon. I haven't tried it, so it might or might not work.
This sounds a bit tricky,and if you have not tried it then i will not either.
Note that Firefox 31.2 in Mageia 3 and Windows suffers the problem
All the versions of FF from 1 on Win XP it was problem to delete the bookmarks toolbar .This was one of the the reasons
I liked PM so much.Prior to PM25 you could delete the bookmarks easy in show all bookmarks of the bookmarks menu.
What to do now??
Eric Sutton

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-11-16, 21:47

This starts getting confusing :crazy: Really don't understand what exactly you want.
1. you cannot delete the Bookmarks toolbar and I have no idea when it was ever possible to do that. The only thing you can do is disable it, if you don't want it. To disable it further you would need an addon such as Menu Wizard or some userChrome.css, that wouldn't actually remove it but make it invisible.
2. you can delete every entry in the bookmarks toolbar from the library (edit bookmarks) or from the bookmarks menu.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-17, 14:51

If the problem is that widespread for you, it sounds to me like it's something that is commonly used on all your systems. Please try and find a commonality between all affected browsers/OSes in your care. Is there something you always do to a browser installation or OS installation that is not default?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

erksutton

Re: Deleting bookmarks toolbar in Bookmarks menu

Unread post by erksutton » 2014-11-18, 11:14

The view toolbars bookmark toolbars does not work!
Note that Firefox 31.2 in Mageia 3 and Windows suffers the problem
All the versions of FF from 1 on Win XP it was problem to delete the bookmarks toolbar .This was one of the the reasons
I liked PM so much.Prior to PM25 you could delete the bookmarks easy in show all bookmarks of the bookmarks menu.
What to do now??
Eric Sutton

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-18, 13:25

Repeating what you said before won't help.
Please check my previous post on this thread.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

erksutton

Unread post by erksutton » 2014-11-20, 18:31

Moonchild wrote:If the problem is that widespread for you, it sounds to me like it's something that is commonly used on all your systems. Please try and find a commonality between all affected browsers/OSes in your care. Is there something you always do to a browser installation or OS installation that is not default?
Are you saying that you have never had this problem before?
Please check it now.
What happens when you untick the view/toolbars/bookmarkstoolbar?
eric sutton

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-20, 20:35

If I untick "bookmarks toolbar" in View or the AppMenu, it hides the bookmarks toolbar. Ticking it again shows it.
This is basic functionality that has always worked on all OSes I have run Pale Moon in. So no, I have never run into your problem, neither in Pale Moon nor previously in Firefox.

erksutton

Unread post by erksutton » 2014-11-21, 09:59

Moonchild wrote:If I untick "bookmarks toolbar" in View or the AppMenu, it hides the bookmarks toolbar. Ticking it again shows it.
This is basic functionality that has always worked on all OSes I have run Pale Moon in. So no, I have never run into your problem, neither in Pale Moon nor previously in Firefox.
How very very odd!!
I have had this problem forever even at work.
The only way that i have found to fix it is to modify userchrome.css.
It worked well in Win XP,but in 64bit W7 and ALL types of Linux I have used it does not keep the userchrome in the same place
and it does not work.
I will try menu wizard and see if that works.
eric sutton

erksutton

Unread post by erksutton » 2014-11-22, 15:47

erksutton wrote:
Moonchild wrote:If I untick "bookmarks toolbar" in View or the AppMenu, it hides the bookmarks toolbar. Ticking it again shows it.
How very very odd!!
I have had this problem forever even at work.
The only way that i have found to fix it is to modify userchrome.css.
It worked well in Win XP,but in 64bit W7 and ALL types of Linux I have used it does not keep the userchrome in the same place
and it does not work.
I will try menu wizard and see if that works.
eric sutton
I tried menu wizard and it work well in Firefox & Palemoon
ES