[Closed] Pale Moon 12.1 Public Beta 3

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

[Closed] Pale Moon 12.1 Public Beta 3

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-14, 10:05

This thread is locked because this beta was too unstable - and has been superseded by beta 4.

With the change of development schedule and actually setting out to implement desired changes on the v12 base build that is now released, some decent progress is made in terms of version 12.1 - with the code fairly stable, I've decided to make Beta 3 a public beta for the curious and daring, to have a preview of what is to come.

Notable changes in this version compared to 12.0 release:
  • Some changes to memory handling which potentially keep memory use better within bounds, and disabled a redundant library with hazardous code
  • Additional often-requested options in the Option window under the Tabs category to reduce the need for about:config editing (Insert related tabs next to current tab, and closing the window with the last tab in a window or not)
  • A drop-down choice in the same screen to configure what to show in a new tab: a blank tab, the Pale Moon start page or the "QuickDial" page.
  • Dynamic smooth scrolling algorithm for mouse wheel, arrow keys, PgUp/PgDn/Space, etc.
  • Smooth scrolling enabled by default
  • Some color back in the navigation controls - People have enjoyed color monitors for decades, so this whole move to grey-on-grey UI elements is odd and makes things rather drab. Having some indicative color on controls also improves their intuitiveness, so hopefully a well-received improvement.
  • Update to the status bar code to fix pop-up status not switching sides on mouse-over, as well as using a safer allocation/destruction mechanism for controls (potentially preventing memory leaks)
This thread on the forum will be used to record feedback to this public beta only; please keep generic support requests out of this thread and in the appropriate other boards/topics. Feedback is appreciated on the changes listed above and any beta-specific issues not found in 12.0-release or any other version.

Any posts specific to this beta posted elsewhere on the forum are likely not going to be taken into account. Please do help keep things organized.

You can download the beta from the work-in-progress page on the Pale Moon website.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Re: Pale Moon 12.1 Public Beta 3

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-05-14, 17:00

I download the install and the zip (I will just testing the install version) and check the checksumm.
Maybe confirm this:
<palemoon-12.1b3.en-US.win32.installer.exe>
MD5 : 0AEDE87000F2B7E11B5EB4B7F9B628BF
SHA1 : 347EF0BFAB126B10D2742AFE102EAEC62A2F124B

<palemoon-12.1b3.en-US.win32.zip>
MD5 : 50CFE3EBA2C8969C658F711B9B169226
SHA1 : 5377BE7560260B028395AAB20A09088CEBA427B6

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-14, 17:08

dark_moon wrote:I download the install and the zip (I will just testing the install version) and check the checksumm.
Maybe confirm this:
<palemoon-12.1b3.en-US.win32.installer.exe>
MD5 : 0AEDE87000F2B7E11B5EB4B7F9B628BF
SHA1 : 347EF0BFAB126B10D2742AFE102EAEC62A2F124B

<palemoon-12.1b3.en-US.win32.zip>
MD5 : 50CFE3EBA2C8969C658F711B9B169226
SHA1 : 5377BE7560260B028395AAB20A09088CEBA427B6
Why, do you have corrupt downloads or something?
The hashes match for both files.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-14, 18:07

I have a forum I moderate (BSF) but clicking a post I wish to edit the content of brings up an empty box.

Clearing the Web Developer Error Console first then clicking the "Edit post" button under the member's post brings up nothing in the console screen, although returning to the forum brings up a lot of stuff.

I have no problems with PM 12.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-05-14, 19:11

Due to a possible problem with some forum software, I suggest that regular users of forums do NOT use this version until we've had time to investigate further.

For general browsing, it still looks good so far.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-14, 20:34

satrow wrote: For general browsing, it still looks good so far.
Yeah, thanks. I used it for quite a number of hours and it worked fine, seemed a little faster too but I have reverted to PM12 - for now. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-14, 20:52

Rohugh wrote:I have a forum I moderate (BSF) but clicking a post I wish to edit the content of brings up an empty box.

Clearing the Web Developer Error Console first then clicking the "Edit post" button under the member's post brings up nothing in the console screen, although returning to the forum brings up a lot of stuff.

I have no problems with PM 12.
It's possible the error console doesn't bring up anything when clicking the button if all it does is unhide the already mis-rendered box. Getting a full error list from one page load would help tremendously in pinpointing this issue, but if you have already reverted, we'll see if we can get more info ourselves.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-14, 20:59

I still have the beta on a separate profile - how do I copy the long list from the error console - I can (seemingly) only do one report at a time?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-14, 22:18

Rohugh wrote:I still have the beta on a separate profile - how do I copy the long list from the error console - I can (seemingly) only do one report at a time?
If it's a long list then yes, it's really annoying.

Use this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/console%C2%B2/

I suggest if it's really a long list that you use the [ hide ] tag available on this forum to keep the post tidy.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-14, 23:17

I took the easy way out and linked a screenshot.

Error report after loading one forum page. (I tried it with one thread and it generated about 250 reports. :( )

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-14, 23:40

Thanks - those are just css errors generated by having it "cross browser compatible", looks like.
I had a quick look at the forum page source and it seems the problem on BSF as well as vBulletin that causes issues at the moment are AJAX/XHR requests; I'll have to have a closer look at what causes it.
Rohugh: what security software do you use on your system? AV, firewall, misc. other? Just so I can compare with other testers for any similarities.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-14, 23:55

AV is MSE, firewall is the standard win 7 one (no changes to it) . Nothing else runs in the background, use Malwarebytes but only as a weekly scan.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-15, 08:09

Thanks for that. No coincidences there with the beta tester running into similar, and I've confirmed it's an issue on a clean XP as well - it seems to be a specific build/link problem of the javascript library and currently looks like an MSVC compiler bug (one of many). Javascript is not stable in beta3, I'll work on fixing it one way or another before release.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-05-15, 09:28

I notice the side bar can be dragged to a narrower width on the beta, 200 px for 12 but 165 px for the beta. Not complaining :) as I like the lesser width, just a note.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-05-15, 16:11

Moonchild wrote:Why, do you have corrupt downloads or something?
The hashes match for both files.
No i just ask. I check much files with checksumms. Just for checking if the files are ok.