Can we freely discuss the new Palemoon direction?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cooperb21

Re: Can we freely discuss the new Palemoon direction?

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2014-10-25, 03:17

Night Wing wrote:
cooperb21 wrote:But i do know thats most people i know use chrome follow by ie then firefox.
Most of my friends use Pale Moon, not Chrome. Yet, in the small town I live in, there are many elderly people and they are computer illiterate. Do you know what browser they use? They use IE since it came with Windows 7.

How do I know this? Because the computer shop where I help out at, I have to clean the viruses off their Windows 7 computers and/or re-install Windows 7 on their computers. When I look at their installed programs in "Programs and Features", there is no listing for Google Chrome. I always ask them what browser do they use. It's always IE.

So I think Net Market Share is a good source for what desktop market share IE, Chrome and Firefox actually have.
Usually people who send there pc to a computer shop dont know much about them or are not smart users thats why it got infected in first place. So of course all the pc's there have IE on them. Not really a good comparison.

Also i think the main reason that Chrome is higher in some is they include mobile data. Chrome gets large chunk from that most Android phones have it install.

IE has 0% of mobile market.

NorrinRadd

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2014-10-25, 04:33

Trippynet wrote:It depends where you look to be honest.

On the other hand, netmarketshare shows that Firefox declined from 18.5% to 16.8% (a 1.7% drop) between November 2013 and May 2014 (7 months), but then declined from 16.8% to 14.1% (a 2.7% drop) between May and September (5 months). So the acceleration of decline since Australis is certainly reflected by those stats.
Can't... fight... pedantic... urges...

Technically, it's a drop of 2.7 percentage points, but a 16.1% drop: (14.1-16.8)/16.8 = -0.1607 = -16.7%

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2014-10-25, 06:54

My pedantic urge is ... :mrgreen:

I want Palemoon to prosper even if we are a niche and Moonchild and Tobin can stay sane during the process. :coffee: and :thumbup:
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-25, 06:55

01d[hook wrote:My pedantic urge is ... :mrgreen:

I want Palemoon to prosper even if we are a niche and Moonchild and Tobin can stay sane during the process. :coffee: and :thumbup:
Sanity isn't a problem here :crazy: :thumbup:

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2014-10-25, 07:48

Not even an occasional twitch ??? :lol:
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-25, 12:29

cooperb21 wrote:Usually people who send there pc to a computer shop dont know much about them or are not smart users thats why it got infected in first place. So of course all the pc's there have IE on them. Not really a good comparison.

Also i think the main reason that Chrome is higher in some is they include mobile data. Chrome gets large chunk from that most Android phones have it install.

Remember the link I put up in my previous post? That link explicitly states it is for "desktop market share". For me, desktop market share means, "laptops and desktops".

As for mobile browser share, Safari, Chrome (Android) are big in mobile (and tablet).

http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-m ... pcustomb=1
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

cooperb21

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2014-10-25, 13:46

Night Wing wrote:
cooperb21 wrote:Usually people who send there pc to a computer shop dont know much about them or are not smart users thats why it got infected in first place. So of course all the pc's there have IE on them. Not really a good comparison.

Remember the link I put up in my previous post? That link explicitly states it is for "desktop market share". For me, desktop market share means, "laptops and desktops".

As for mobile browser share, Safari, Chrome (Android) are big in mobile (and tablet).

http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-m ... pcustomb=1
Not possible if 85% of phones are Android and 11% ios.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone- ... -share.jsp

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-25, 13:56

cooperb21 wrote:Not possible if 85% of phones are Android and 11% ios.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone- ... -share.jsp
In smartphones, Android and iOS are the main players, with Android having the lion's share by quite a lot over iOS.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox