Pale Moon 7 public beta feedback thread

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Pale Moon 7 public beta feedback thread

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-09-21, 13:48

If you have feedback on the public beta of Pale Moon 7, please use this thread if you are not part of the beta testing team.
Beta testers: please stick to the beta forum.

EDIT:
Please note:
  • The beta r3 does not include Sync (included in r4)
  • The beta r3 does not include safebrowsing (included in r4)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jumba

Re: Pale Moon 7 public beta feedback thread

Unread post by jumba » 2011-09-21, 18:20

Flash crashes the latest beta..
Tried tried both stable and beta releases of adobe flash.

Edit: Uninstalled 6.02 and reinstalled beta and now it works..
Last edited by jumba on 2011-09-22, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-09-21, 18:44

jumba wrote:Flash crashes the latest beta..
Tried tried both stable and beta releases of adobe flash.
Where exactly do you stumble into this problem?

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2011-09-21, 19:24

Well obviously on sites with flash elements, like youtube and the start up page of pale moon.

Don't know if the problem is on my side. Tried to reinstall flash and deleted pale moon profile but it still freezes with flash elements, videos etc..

reverted back to 6.02 and flash works on it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-09-21, 20:04

Please be specific: does it freeze the browser, does it crash the browser, does the plugin crash or does it simply not play the video?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-09-21, 21:50

Using the Stable version of Flash, I can't seem to reproduce your issue. Also, I did a server load by opening many flash videos on tabs (merely just stressing my hardware) and the tabs worked as usual. I notice a little freeze simply because my CPU and RAM maxed out, temporary. Is there someone else that has stumbled into this problem? Could it be your extensions?

It's too much to bother you with but just throwing it out there, I can recommend that you check out Event Viewer and see if anything shows up about Firefox.

Of course, I am not merely here to say that it works for me(it's more like "It can be universal"), we need more users to feedback, though.

Another solution, just one of a few last resorts: Some remnants from Flash might still be messing with your computer, try to uninstall it with RevoUninstaller with "Advanced Uninstall" and reinstall Flash.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2011-09-22, 05:31

Sorry for not being specific enough. All I noticed that any flash element, youtube videos, startup page of palemoon and even the adobe flash site freezes the browser and i had to close it by ctrl+alt+del. I really do believe it's problem in my side, so i deleted pale moon profile and tried to reinstall flash and install different version of it. But as i said I don't have this problem with 6.02 version.

I have windows 7 32bit and video card which supports hardware acceleration(hd5870). Event Viewer doesn't have anything about it.

I'll try to clean flash with those uninstallers (revo free didn't find any leftovers) and install it again, hopefully it works as the beta was much faster! :)

diNovoM

Unread post by diNovoM » 2011-09-22, 11:56

How exactly did you install 7.0 beta? Beside 6.02, did you update, or un- and clean- installed? Are you using different profiles? You should always use Adobe uninstaller (the normal for 10.x and for 11 rc1 you installed that version) before installing a different version meaning: uninstall flash from software, reboot and use (both) uninstallers. (and in my pm i already wrote you to be more specific ;))

And if you use any add-ons you might want to try safe mode - see: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... p=393#p365 - but don't simply try to use safe mode but disable add-ons f.e. as in default safe mode you won't be able to use flash ;)

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2011-09-22, 13:22

Just uninstalled pale moon 6.02 and then installed the beta and now it works.. maybe something went wrong on upgrade installation as I installed it over 6.02.

Sorry for too early conclusions, everything works now wonderfully with all my extensions enabled, even those which aren't supported officially.

One question though, why does the installer prompt for system reboot?

diNovoM

Unread post by diNovoM » 2011-09-22, 19:06

Yeah, i believe if you update from 4.X to 5.x or 6.x it wouldn't be such a problem, but in 7.x they made a few important changes. Also 4.x was a big release, and you shouldn't upgrade from 3.x. But anyway - it's better to always do a clean update on major releases. Also you shouldn't use the same profile due to changes/new functions so as you recognized yourself this leads into problems. You can export settings from FF Add-Ons and use Sync to get FF-Settings too.

You got a prompt for system reboot? You sure that was pale moon? Cause i didn't get one.

But one question: anyone else misses Weave/Sync?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-09-22, 19:09

One question though, why does the installer prompt for system reboot?
It prompts for a reboot if it can't overwrite certain files, meaning they were locked/in use when you tried to install it.
If it fails to update some crucial files because of that, even with the reboot (Windows can be a little stubborn like that on occasion) then you could run into issues running the browser afterwards.

flyinglucid

Unread post by flyinglucid » 2011-09-26, 22:53

I noticed that the Panorama button had been included by default in the UI of the latest beta. That's fine with me, but when I tried to remove or move it by using Right Click -> Customize, I could not drag it anywhere else or get rid of it.
I'm just wondering if in the final release of Pale Moon 7, would users be able to remove this button if they never use this feature?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-09-28, 01:08

flyinglucid wrote:I noticed that the Panorama button had been included by default in the UI of the latest beta. That's fine with me, but when I tried to remove or move it by using Right Click -> Customize, I could not drag it anywhere else or get rid of it.
I'm just wondering if in the final release of Pale Moon 7, would users be able to remove this button if they never use this feature?
Drag into into that prompt box and it's out of the UI.

flyinglucid

Unread post by flyinglucid » 2011-09-28, 09:22

That's the really weird thing...I've tried dragging it into the box but once I let go, it doesn't go anywhere. I've been able to get rid of other buttons (back/forward, new tab button, home page button, etc) through this method, but the Panorama button refuses to go anywhere.
I also created a completely new profile just to test if I could remove it on a clean Pale Moon but that also was unsuccessful.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-09-29, 07:42

I've tried dragging it into the box but once I let go, it doesn't go anywhere.
You're absolutely right, and I've fixed that for the final release.
Forgot to add a parameter to the control to allow it to be moved/removed :oops: