Pale Moon installation under Ubuntu 14.04 x86-64 fails

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
freefrog

Pale Moon installation under Ubuntu 14.04 x86-64 fails

Unread post by freefrog » 2014-10-16, 04:58

Hi,

installation under Ubuntu 14.04 x86-64 fails with the following error:
an error occurred during extraction of the archive, possible because it was corrupted.
Tried it several times, as normal user, as root, no success. Seems like the installer (pminstaller-0.1.5) downloads verson 25.0.0.

Operating system: Ubuntu 14.04
Browser version: not yet installed
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64 bit
Problem URL: -
Theme: -
Installed add-ons: -
Installed plugins: (about:plugins) -

Any ideas?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon installation under Ubuntu 14.04 x86-64 fails

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-16, 11:39

Since the installer doesn't work for you and if you want it installed, instead of using the pminstaller, did you try installing v25 using the command lines in the Terminal?

On a sidenote. Did you know you can run linux Pale Moon without it being installed? Since Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu, the comments below should work for Ubuntu.

I run Pale Moon from it's executable file in linux Mint 17, but doing so in this way means Pale Moon is "not" installed so there is no Menu entry or Launcher icons. But, I don't need a Menu entry for Pale Moon since I made the Pale Moon Launcher icons for both Desktop and Panel taskbar from using gui windows in Mint 17.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-16, 11:42

Mint is based on Debian which != ubuntu.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-16, 14:41

Uh, it's a little bit more complicated.
At start Mint was only Ubuntu based, but then they also launched a Debian-based version. Not sure what's the situation right now.

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2014-10-16, 14:54

Matt A Tobin wrote:Mint is based on Debian which != ubuntu.
With all due respect, Matt, while Ubuntu is a Debian variant, Linux Mint Cinnamon, MATE, KDE, Xfce _is_ based on Ubuntu's deb packages. In my case with LM 17 MATE (64-bit) my 'Base' respository is: http://mirrors.liquidweb.com/ubuntu . Drill down into the 'dist' directory and you will find past, present, and future releases of Ubuntu release names.

Another of Linux Mint's offering, LMDE, on thee other hand does pull packages directly from Debian's repositories.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-16, 14:56

Off-topic:
@Supernova

Mint comes in 5 "flavors" at this time. Debian, Cinnamon, Mate, KDE and XFCE.

I run linux Pale Moon, not installed, in both Mint (Xfce) and SolydX (XFCE). SolydX (right now) is based on debian testing. In or after November, SolydX will split into two separate flavors. SolydX BE (Business Edition) and it will be based on debian stable and the old SolydX will become Enthusiast Edition which will still be based on debian testing.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Buzzy62

Unread post by Buzzy62 » 2014-10-17, 07:18

FWIW, I get the same error - also running the same version of Ubuntu (14.04 x64). I would LOVE to get PM installed, but it's not looking promising.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-17, 12:22

@Buzzy62

Have you tried running linux Pale Moon from it's executable file "without installing Pale Moon"? This is called "extract and run".

If Pale Moon runs from the executable file, you should be able to install it via the Terminal if the PMinstaller doesn't work for you.

freefrog

Unread post by freefrog » 2014-10-17, 15:42

1.) Where can I find information on how to install pale moon on command line?

2.) Are you not interested in fixing the problem? Most users will never post in this forum and just throw it away after installation failed.

Edit: found the manual installation guide: http://sourceforge.net/p/pm4linux/wiki/ ... tallation/

Edit 2: Managed to install Pale Moon on Ubuntu by doing:
1. start a root shell (sudo su)
2. mkdir /opt
3. start a bash when using a different default shell
4. run ./pminstaller.sh

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-17, 16:30

Fixed: https://github.com/access2godzilla/PM4L ... cf9aced2a7

New copies of the installer should become available once Moonchild/cyansmoker choose to build and upload the new installers.

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2014-10-17, 18:14

access2godzilla wrote:Fixed: https://github.com/access2godzilla/PM4L ... cf9aced2a7

New copies of the installer should become available once Moonchild/cyansmoker choose to build and upload the new installers.
Coding some sort of check for the '/opt' directory is definitely a good idea. The addition of an '-f' switch in the 'mkdir' command might be a good idea as well?

With that typed I've been using Linux since 2001 and cannot _ever_ recall a missing '/opt' directory in the Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntu, Linux Mint OS' I've installed and used? I.e., the '/opt' directory _was_always_ created by default during OS install. Hmmmmm?