Can we freely discuss the new Palemoon direction?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mikeysc

Re: Can we freely discuss the new Palemoon direction?

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-10-15, 22:49

Sariel wrote:I assume we should use a similar format as the Compatibility thread :

Name:
Type: Extension or Theme
Version:
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon_url (strip locale part from url like the /en-US/ part and put it in a url tag so it isn't truncated)

*Version just to make sure people know which one works in case of updates that break their functionality
*Maybe divide the type categories further into Extensions: Alerts and Updates, Download Management, Feed News and Blogging, Privacy & Security, Search Tools, Web Development and Themes: Modern and Personas/Lightweight
Let's keep it simple, one line entry, plain text:
name, ver #, link*, category**

* stripping locale not necessary, users can manage
** optional

I meant for this to be for extensions. EDIT: per Tobin's comment below, let's leave out themes.
Last edited by mikeysc on 2014-10-15, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-15, 22:50

Themes are irrelevant (for compat reasons). All themes will eventually be forked.

brushy

Unread post by brushy » 2014-10-15, 22:59

Ok just to clarify something. When someone attack me or my ass its not a problem. But when someone ask for help, thing i think i have had my part, when the same person make an error, which it can happens to all, error i kindly point by posting a link and even a screenshot, and when this person delete my post, in silence correct the error without any explanation and not even a thank you, i tell you its not polite. Avoir son orgueil mal placé c'est une chose, mais là c'est vilain.

Riversky

Unread post by Riversky » 2014-10-16, 00:36

Be warned folks, TL;DR coming :P

Ok first I'd like to thank the PM team for the very existence of this browser. I've been using it since Australis was about to be released and some kind soul on the www directed me to it.

It is true that at first I was a little bit "wtf oO" following the update (atom in my case, I'm on an eee pc) then I proceeded to read threads and FAQ entries and I got almost everything working as it was before the update.

After reading the reasons behind the new GUID I am thankful for the direction taken. Provided that PM doesn't pull a Mozilla some day, because I mean, um... we all witnessed where it went, ha. I hope that devs will follow. I see PM's mentality as akin to Android custom ROMs etc. In the end the user is free from the claws of big corporations without having to give up on quality. Besides there's always a way to cook some special things to improve and/or customize the environment, be it core or gadget features. Again, I am grateful for the mentality.

I haven't been here before today so I didn't witness the discussions going in circles but I understand the frustration and being tired of having to deal with everyone's personal views. I feel you guys. ALTHOUGH, from the point of view of a user who hasn't been here before, as I said, it gives a bad feeling to read the way some answers are given. I am far from being an idiot but in all honesty I didn't read the release notes and for a very simple reason: I usually only do when I don't really trust the dev on the validity and content of an update, or when I realize a major version is here and I'm curious as to what goodies it brings with it. I should have read, 100% correct! But I also understand some posts I've read.

Also I don't know you Brushy but wow you seem to have issues with you communication skills! Maybe it is the PR manager in me haha, but it won't hurt anyone if you express your thoughts less aggressively. Quite the opposite, actually. As another frenchie I think part of it may be due to our eternal attitude de râleurs haha, but I think you might want to reflect on this a little bit if you want your message to have some reach and not sound like a rage-y 14 y/o.

Anyway. I don't develop nor do I know a lot about Mozilla's direction since Australis as I simply kicked FF to the curb but I have always been an open source enthusiastic cheerleader *shaking the pom poms* and I suddenly feel kind of reinvigorated to see that even regular people are starting to hear about PM's existence and are interested in it as a viable alternative. It's like the initial intention of the community (with FF) is still alive despite Mozilla crossing to the dark side. And for keeping the spirit alive after many years I applaud all your efforts guys!

brushy

Unread post by brushy » 2014-10-16, 01:51

Ah also you think you. You should consider the bon côté, i am not so aggressive compared to portableapps or mozillazine etc etc hornets though.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2014-10-16, 01:54

Can we agree to disagree!? Lol! Sorry, had to say that! :D
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

brushy

Unread post by brushy » 2014-10-16, 02:16

Of course you can disagree, unfortunately it is not me who have this kind of reputation d'orgueil démesuré.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-16, 02:26

I removed your post buggy not as a slight against you or anything like that but because it was largely off-topic.. I did however correct the entry and thank you very much for letting me know.. That thread is purged regularly either by deletes or moves into the general topic. Sorry you took offense.

Peace.

brushy

Unread post by brushy » 2014-10-16, 02:36

Ok Matt i accept your excuses, please accept mine for the off-topic. Maybe if i am stressed also its because my President of the Republic as just stolen my Mercredi matin, now my wife works instead to be in bed with me. Fucking Hollande.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-10-16, 03:09

I think that there are some topics that must be addressed in this point. Talking about the original post of this thread:
Why we moved in this direction?
Short Answer: Because Mozilla made us take this direction.

Long Answer: Mozilla future is not Firefox BROWSER is Firefox OS, so they use something that they had already at hand for made their new baby. So why Firefox browser ditched toolbars, change options and have Australis UI. They forced this even in the ESR versions, so there is no escape no Plan B. So unless we ended with a "phone-like" browser we needed to act. Some years back, when Mozilla showed Asutralis, I saw clearly the "divorce" between them and Pale Moon. The point was "when will happen"? It happened now.
Why users didn't knew of this change of direction?
Short Answer: Look the forum and you will see posts of this trouble since some years ago.

Long Answer: Users only noticed the change when add-ons are broken. Is not a trouble of the browser per-se but how people see things over technology. Few people are aware if they carry a phone Android 4.0.2 or Android 4.0.3... unless a program complain of the version installed in their phones and people want a magical and instant fix. Since there was a lot of posts about Australis and the like, few users notice them because the browser was perfect working under the umbrella of Firefox compatible. Now that Mozilla took back the umbrella, then they complain like in my example. Just this will happen always with tech stuff not just with Pale Moon.
How you address this trouble in the v25 version?
Answer: Giving support in the area we can, some making new updates/patches; others giving support in forums; other testing the browser ;etc.. (not all exclusive). We are the same disappointed than you for not have a proper and terse version change as we would like. But is just matter of time for the add-ons authors get noticed PM or users install patches.

So far Is what I can explain for your concerns from my side as beta tester and moderator. If you have more questions please made them.

Greetings,
Lobocursor

superA

Unread post by superA » 2014-10-16, 06:52

The direction of Palemoon browser is actually where its author want to go.
As like any other software, you use it only if you trust it.
Untill this moment,i supported it,installed it to as much clients of mine,as i could and suggested people to use it and thats what i will continue to do.
For me, is firstly a secure browser,very very stable,very fast,with a lot of privacy settings (don t have to change the whole about:config..just to use it),with no crap,no unneccesary services calling home and mostly...never lie to me.
If PM,stops to be what is it now,i will stop to use it.Simple as that.
I am far from being a fanboy and never gonna be,trust noone and nothing but from my point of view, MC create a project,maybe one of the top three free softwares out there and i apreciate it for this.

So,..the direction part.
Im curius too,but have faith and trust for the author and for sure i ll be here and post if the direction will be not to my liking.
Till then,i ll enjoy a fine product and i will suggest just a little patience from all.

Sorry for my bad english,
greetings,
superA.

Jonguy30

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-10-16, 09:10

I think Pale Moon is the most private browser there is. And many things that have been "added" to firefox by Google have either been disabled/removed or not implemented at all. Google is a privacy invader.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-16, 14:53

While I like very much that all calling home features were disabled/removed in Pale Moon ; "the most private browser there is" is still Tor Browser imho (even with rogue nodes) ; but it's its purpose at 100% so that's kind of expected.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-10-16, 15:17

Depends on what you mean by private. Tor is now a target for spies. And last update I tried would not run without crashing. A knowledgeable user can have better privacy with a regular browser properly configured.

Which brings me to another point. As far as free discussion goes, -edit- I'm in favor of it!

Have a nice day folks, get outside, in the real world - the weather is beautiful here.
Last edited by mikeysc on 2014-10-17, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

brushy

Unread post by brushy » 2014-10-16, 19:17

Yes, and why not a specific browser for power users and another one for novices i can have nothing to do.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-16, 22:10

That would be redundant. If you want a browser that Just Works(TM) without any thought or consideration use chrome ;)
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2014-10-17, 00:00, edited 2 times in total.

postbuz

Unread post by postbuz » 2014-10-16, 22:52

Just wanted to let you know I agree with the way PM is going. I've been using PM for 2 years now, love it & see FF becoming more & more like half-baked Chrome.
I've had some extension not working in 25, butnow see that some developers (NewsFox, my favorite RSS reader) are now bringing out updates for 25.
It'll be a challenging time, with setbacks along the way, but it's the way to go.
Thanks, PM team, for all your work :thumbup:

postbuz

Unread post by postbuz » 2014-10-16, 22:54

Matt A Tobin wrote:That would be redundant. If you want a browser for idiots use chrome ;)
:thumbup: or the current FF.

brushy

Unread post by brushy » 2014-10-16, 23:33

Maybe Chrome is for idiots as you said but it is the only browser which can open certain links. One of the reasons i never use discrimination personally.