Can we freely discuss the new Palemoon direction?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Can we freely discuss the new Palemoon direction?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-15, 20:03

Just to add a little thing about the major/minor updates: If you check the forum about this in the past, you will see that people have complained every single time a minor update was presented and pushed as a minor update. As a result I gave up in the end, and made every single update act as if it is a major update with all the extra info, dialogs and confirmations associated with it. This was a direct result of the community being unhappy about being served minor updates in a semi-automatic fashion (since there really is no reason, ever, to not install a minor point release) because apparently my judgement based on my knowledge about what I changed in the code and about what would be eligible for a hands-free installation was pulled in doubt.

You have only yourself to blame for the end result being no distinction between major and minor update processes ;-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-15, 20:23

Moonchild wrote:You have only yourself to blame for the end result being no distinction between major and minor update processes ;-)
This become a little hard to read such statements again and again. :cry:

I got another update popup, so I looked at it with more attention. Since I disabled auto-update anyway ; it was pretty much the same proposing to jump to v25.0.1 from 24.7.2 than to 24.7.2 from 24.7.1 ; the numbers of the new version taken apart. There is a true lack of a kind of small but obvious informative/warning text.
Of course I don't pretend this is main priority, but small things adding end into big things. :angel:

Otherwise ; will Palemoon addon site be populated with link to AMO page of addons tried and tested to work well with PM25 (based on a "known compatible addons list") ? It feels really empty atm.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-15, 20:32

Yes. A few are already there. Add-ons on the site that are tested and known working will be intermixed with our add-ons with a [AMO] tag beside it. I have been focusing on broken add-ons right now rather than working. Give it time.

Sariel

Unread post by Sariel » 2014-10-15, 20:40

So do we have a "Known Working Add-ons" thread, since the Compatibility one is for non-working add-ons?

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2014-10-15, 20:41

Off-topic:
Hey, brushy I've just realized you're buggy back here on the forum under a different guise, let's call a truce, welcome back.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-15, 20:42

Sariel wrote:So do we have a "Known Working Add-ons" thread, since the Compatibility one is for non-working add-ons?
This was indeed what I would have wanted to know with my question (well in part, the fact that it will be done is the other part of what I asked, and was clearly answered ^^), since this recquire a lot of user testing.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-15, 20:43

Sariel wrote:So do we have a "Known Working Add-ons" thread, since the Compatibility one is for non-working add-ons?
Assume they work until it is apparent they don't then report ones that do not

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-15, 20:43

Supernova wrote:
Moonchild wrote:You have only yourself to blame for the end result being no distinction between major and minor update processes ;-)
This become a little hard to read such statements again and again. :cry:
Well, it's the result of me having to read the same statement again and again about updates being "installed without explicit consent" and similar.
I got very tired of that dance whenever I dared to put "minor" for a minor point release where nobody would ever have any logical reason to skip it. There's only so much complaining I will contend with before choosing what I think is a poor choice but one the community apparently insists on... :|
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-15, 20:52

Matt A Tobin wrote:
Assume they work until it is apparent they don't then report ones that do not
But this don't help you for this :
Matt A Tobin wrote:Add-ons on the site that are tested and known working will be intermixed with our add-ons with a [AMO] tag beside it.
:?: :think:

Sariel

Unread post by Sariel » 2014-10-15, 20:54

Matt A Tobin wrote: Assume they work until it is apparent they don't then report ones that do not
Alright, I suppose its better to give some time for the actual add-on developers (or Pale Moon fork developers ;) ) to come around . . . plus it also gives you some time to manage the add-on site before caring about making a tested and proved compatible add-ons list.
Last edited by Sariel on 2014-10-15, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-15, 20:54

I have a whole thread of suggested add-ons for the site plus the whole thread about "what add-ons do you use" i got plenty of data for now regarding ones that could be added as working good ones ;)

Also, it won't be a list.. it will be add-ons on listed in the categories and via the search as add-ons with that little [AMO] tag to denote that you will be redirected to amo

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-15, 20:59

I do remember these threads, sure you have got a loooot of data to what to aim for. ^^
But - and sorry to insist, I don't want to annoy you, I just want to understand - couldn't the step "confirming that the addon indeed work with PM25, including some options burried in the dark" be launched now ?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-15, 21:07

Supernova wrote:I do remember these threads, sure you have got a loooot of data to what to aim for. ^^
But - and sorry to insist, I don't want to annoy you, I just want to understand - couldn't the step "confirming that the addon indeed work with PM25, including some options burried in the dark" be launched now ?
What are you talking about?

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-10-15, 21:09

Users could do a known good list ourselves and let Tobin focus on the higher priority stuff. I know some of us including me could post it on our own sites. (Or a special thread here as long as it doesn't get sidetracked but I don't know if that is realistic.)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-15, 21:17

Do it mikeysc.. You're in charge!

brushy

Unread post by brushy » 2014-10-15, 21:24

steviem1 wrote:
Off-topic:
Hey, brushy I've just realized you're buggy back here on the forum under a different guise, let's call a truce, welcome back.
Off-topic:
Its not me its my ass remember. Ah, and Scrapbook Plus works fine but as someone i know has removed my post which pointed the wrong assertion on the add-on page (not fully comp - WONTFIX) i go to bed.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-10-15, 21:28

I will try if others help. I'd like at least one person as a backup for when I might be away for awhile. Send them to me by PM for now, one per line (don't expect replies to every PM). Known good = no modifications required, works "out of the box".
Last edited by mikeysc on 2014-10-17, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.

Sariel

Unread post by Sariel » 2014-10-15, 22:13

I assume we should use a similar format as the Compatibility thread :

Name:
Type: Extension or Theme
Version:
AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon_url (strip locale part from url like the /en-US/ part and put it in a url tag so it isn't truncated)

*Version just to make sure people know which one works in case of updates that break their functionality
*Maybe divide the type categories further into Extensions: Alerts and Updates, Download Management, Feed News and Blogging, Privacy & Security, Search Tools, Web Development and Themes: Modern and Personas/Lightweight

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2014-10-15, 22:23

I've got a fair few add-ons that seem to function as their supposed to and a few to test that I'll write up. Put a link on this thread please, I'll post them tomorrow.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-15, 22:27

PM mikeysc