Pale Moon 25 beta for Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mapurite

Re: Pale Moon 25 beta for Linux

Unread post by mapurite » 2014-10-13, 02:55

there should be more feedback between windows, mac and linux.. not release one version if not the 3 versions all together, that expected by others is not right, is supposed you are a team :thumbup:

Privacy

Unread post by Privacy » 2014-10-13, 17:49

When will released palemoon 25 for linux? after 1 month or after 3 months??

are you despise linux? the palemoon update politics is irresponsible and total negligence!

for linux user it is very dangerous to use palemoon. if in future this negligence update politics won't change, i must consider to switch to other browser. maybe Seamonkey or Iceweasel.

Too bad...

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-10-13, 18:45

Pale Moon is first of all a Windows project, the Linux build is a 3rd party contribution. It usually takes some time. Everybody participating in that part of the project is just volunteering. If you cannot live with that you might be better off with another browser... that will have other problems or new ones...

And somebody should write the wise advice from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in nice and friendly letters on top of the Linux forum:
DON'T PANIC

mapurite

Unread post by mapurite » 2014-10-13, 21:55

SvenG wrote:Pale Moon is first of all a Windows project, the Linux build is a 3rd party contribution. It usually takes some time. Everybody participating in that part of the project is just volunteering. If you cannot live with that you might be better off with another browser... that will have other problems or new ones...

And somebody should write the wise advice from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in nice and friendly letters on top of the Linux forum:
DON'T PANIC
yeah is a windows project, like firefox or chrome.. that does not mean giving preferences only for windows

3 versions released in the same time

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#2.29.1

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

That is what we need.. if we are not a priority, Why should we use pale moon as priority browser?

it's sad, I think I'll have to return firefox, best of luck with your Windows project

edit; It's a shame.. I use it for months thinking it was lighter and faster

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-13, 22:56

There aren't exactly the same number of developpers/staff behind firefox or even sea monkey, and pale moon, and that's the whole point.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-10-13, 23:04

Sometimes I get the feeling that people do not have the slightest idea, what Pale Moon is and where it came from... or they just don't give a damn about it. But it's always nice to read a little rant.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-14, 03:54

*Goes off to open peacekeeper in PM and about:blank in FF and then compare the resource consumption*

Some people also seem to use products without judging their needs. And there are people who like to compare different products and say they're not the same...

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-14, 11:31

With all the turmoil going on with Windows Pale Moon 25, the people complaining about not having a linux PM 25 or a OS X 25 and with the same problems as Windows Pale Moon 25 now, they'll be complaining to the top of their lungs on here.

And if they go back to Firefox, fine. I hope they do because if they do, "from the grapevine" they'll find out later on today the non Australis FF 24 ESR series is supposed to be discontinued (if there isn't a last minute reprieve). Then that'll leave Australis FF 31 ESR and the stable Australis Firefox 33 as their only options for Firefox.

If they want to have the old classic looking Firefox back, they'll have to install the "Classic Theme Restorer" and even that doesn't bring it all the back since it has some limitations too from the people I know who use it with Australis Firefox.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

mapurite

Unread post by mapurite » 2014-10-14, 21:33

Night Wing wrote: If they want to have the old classic looking Firefox back, they'll have to install the "Classic Theme Restorer" and even that doesn't bring it all the back since it has some limitations too from the people I know who use it with Australis Firefox.
since yesterday

http://i.imgur.com/oXwL8Do.png

Privacy

Unread post by Privacy » 2014-10-15, 00:29

Why you ban me for 24 hours? Can you not tolerate criticism??

Mapurite has switched again to Firefox and has leave the dangerous Palemoon browser. And also i switched to other browser and have leave Palemoon. I switched to Seamonkey.

As i see is the stupid update to palemoon 25 for linux user still not released. Are the linux users not important?

The very dangerous security vulnerable in RSA Signature Forgery in NSS is since 20 days known. The update with the dangerous security fix is come for just 4 days for windows users. 16 days after the known security vulnerable!!!

And we, linux users, have still no a security update to close the security vulnerable. This update politics is very negligence!!!

SvenG mentioned that palemoon is windows project. Fine, but also for windows users the update comes much too late.
Firefox and Seamonkey released the security fix immediately for windows, linux and mac os (24.September 2014)!!

I recommend all linux user to switch to a alternative, because this palemoon browser is too dangerous, because of the to slow security updates. It is like a suicide to stay by palemoon.
Additionally if we (linux user) are no a priority, why should we use this browser!?

greets
Last edited by Privacy on 2014-10-15, 00:36, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-15, 00:32

You could always build it your self.. Which is arguably simpler on linux than it is on windows.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-15, 01:50

Privacy wrote:Why you ban me for 24 hours? Can you not tolerate criticism??

Mapurite has switched again to Firefox and has leave the dangerous Palemoon browser. And also i switched to other browser and have leave Palemoon. I switched to Seamonkey.
I'm glad to see you two have switched to another linux browser.
Privacy wrote:As i see is the stupid update to palemoon 25 for linux user still not released. Are the linux users not important?

The very dangerous security vulnerable in RSA Signature Forgery in NSS is since 20 days known. The update with the dangerous security fix is come for just 4 days for windows users. 16 days after the known security vulnerable!!!

And we, linux users, have still no a security update to close the security vulnerable. This update politics is very negligence!!!
Harping on it is not going to get it done any faster. This is one lesson your types never learn.
Privacy wrote:SvenG mentioned that palemoon is windows project. Fine, but also for windows users the update comes much too late.
Firefox and Seamonkey released the security fix immediately for windows, linux and mac os (24.September 2014)!!
The Pale Moon project is smaller than Firefox or SeaMonkey. Also, you conveniently forgot to mention this concerning SeaMonkey. SeaMonkey went from version 2.26 to 2.29. SeaMonkey "SKIPPED" two versions which means there were no 2.27 and 2.28 versions of SeaMonkey. They developers of SeaMonkey had technical problems which they could not solve in time to release versions 2.27 and (2.28). So, before 2.29 was released, 2.26 had a run of 18 weeks which is 4 1/2 months and I didn't hear of anyone having any security issues or getting attacked who used this browser version for the length of time mentioned.
Privacy wrote:I recommend all linux user to switch to a alternative, because this palemoon browser is too dangerous, because of the to slow security updates. It is like a suicide to stay by palemoon.
Additionally if we (linux user) are no a priority, why should we use this browser!?
I'm not going to take your recommendation. In fact, I prefer to avoid any of your recommendations.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2014-10-15, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-15, 01:56

If staying some time with software with security holes was suicide, we would be all dead. Well, at least our computers ? Especially when we come to think that SSL has plenty of them.