Pale Moon 25 beta for Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
access2godzilla

Pale Moon 25 beta for Linux

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-09-21, 01:04

There seems to be no release of the PM 25 beta for Linux, so I compiled it for myself and am sharing the archives in the hope that it will be useful:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/trm1zgrf3dj2x/palemoon

I'm impressed with the release, and at present I am converting some of my extensions so that they can be used with Pale Moon. A minor complain though: it would be preferable to have bottom half of the logo exposed at the top right of pages like about:newtab, about:privatebrowsing etc. instead of having about:logopage (which does not serve any useful purpose IMO).

mapurite

Re: Pale Moon 25 beta for Linux

Unread post by mapurite » 2014-09-21, 03:09

thanks so much for compiled :thumbup:

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-09-21, 16:17

@access2godzilla: Thank you for sharing! My Linux system got messed up a while ago, but I will fix it this week, so I can do some testing with your build!

redbud

Unread post by redbud » 2014-09-22, 14:37

I just downloaded your build, all is well, all extensions were seen and used, all bookmarks are there.
It even seems to browse. :D

Thanks so much.

racorbin2010

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2014-09-23, 13:44

I also downloaded the code and replaced the /opt/palemoon folder with the 25 beta folder, but I ran into one problem. The icon for "Yes Script 2.0" disappeared. When I went back to 24.7.2(x64) version, the icon reappeared. Since I need that icon, I have to stay with 24.7.2(x64).

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-09-23, 15:00

Please understand that PM 25 uses a new GUID and may show incompatibilities with Firefox extensions.

You need to unpack extension XPIs and replace all instances of the Firefox GUID with Pale Moon's GUID and also possibly increment em:(max|min)version values for FF extensions to work.

mapurite

Unread post by mapurite » 2014-10-11, 01:19

access2godzilla please update linux version!! :thumbup:

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-11, 07:19

mapurite wrote:access2godzilla please update linux version!!
I'm not the maintainer of the Linux version! cyansmoker has taken it up for some time now. (A version should be released soon enough.)

Longstreet

Unread post by Longstreet » 2014-10-11, 16:44

I've been wondering about 25 for Linux. Happy to see this.

Does Sync work on your Beta?

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-11, 16:55

@Moonchild:
Maybe you can build this release if cyansmoker is unavailable for some reason?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-11, 18:54

With the irritations going on with Windows Pale Moon 25 and add-ons, the same irritations will likely be happening with linux Pale Moon 25 and add-ons. With that said, I see no hurry for a linux Pale Moon 25 at this time because this will be like "a battle being waged on two separate fronts" if you get my drift.

And I'm one who uses linux Pale Moon 24.7.2 who doesn't mind "waiting".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Privacy

Unread post by Privacy » 2014-10-11, 19:36

When is the palemoon 25 released for linux?

A big SECURITY Vulnerability is since 15 days known! I mean the nss issue!! It is negligence to let the Pale Moon browser for so long time with this BIG SECURITY VULNERABILITY. Since this time i dont logged in my ebanking-page and waiting for the security update. The updates for security fixes should be provided very faster.

Sorry for my total stupid english!

Please dont be angry for my criticism!

Thank you for your work!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-11, 21:40

access2godzilla wrote:@Moonchild:
Maybe you can build this release if cyansmoker is unavailable for some reason?
If there is no movement in a few days, I will. I have a lot on my plate already.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-10-12, 15:36

Night Wing wrote:With the irritations going on with Windows Pale Moon 25 and add-ons, the same irritations will likely be happening with linux Pale Moon 25 and add-ons. With that said, I see no hurry for a linux Pale Moon 25 at this time because this will be like "a battle being waged on two separate fronts" if you get my drift.

+1 Let the Windows guys have the trouble and we wait till everything has smoothed :)

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-10-12, 17:34

If it were Debian, we'd call this "oldstable" ;)

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2014-10-12, 17:55

Night Wing wrote: ...
As one who uses PM4Linux almost exclusively, I add my vote to the 'one who uses linux Pale Moon 24.7.2 who doesn't mind "waiting"' side of this issue.

I.e., there's several broken extensions on the list at the moment that I need to be working before the move to PM 25 at this point would be possible.

Privacy

Unread post by Privacy » 2014-10-12, 20:40

As i saw, that also today the update for linux is no released i have become a heart attack. when is the update there??

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-10-12, 22:44

Privacy wrote:when is the update there??
That question is easily answered: when it is done.

Privacy

Unread post by Privacy » 2014-10-12, 23:59

SvenG wrote: That question is easily answered: when it is done.
When it is done? A total dangerous security vulnerability is in palemoon 24.7.2!! I'm going to be sick!

Greets

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-13, 02:26

Privacy wrote:When it is done? A total dangerous security vulnerability is in palemoon 24.7.2!! I'm going to be sick!
If you absolutely can't wait for the linux security update, then you have two logical choices.

1) Use a second linux browser which is already patched for the vulnerability as a backup for linux Pale Moon.

2) To keep from getting a heart attack over this vulnerability you're fixated on, have a heart doctor prescribe a drug for you named, digitalis. ;)

As for me, I go to the same websites everyday and I seriously doubt they will be targeted by this vulnerability.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox