Adblock does nothing anymore! Need help & alternative apps

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Warmower

Adblock does nothing anymore! Need help & alternative apps

Unread post by Warmower » 2014-10-10, 01:52

I've had Adblock for a few years and it's done a good job until now.

Suddenly there are ads everywhere in websites I visit, despite being ticked with "Disable everywhere"

Can anybody here help? Otherwise, please recommend better ad-killing apps than Adblock.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Adblock does nothing anymore! Need help & alternative ap

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-10, 03:12

Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-10-10, 04:43

To me "Disable everywhere" means you have adblocker turned off, rather than ads are disabled everywhere.

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2014-10-10, 07:07

mikeysc wrote:To me "Disable everywhere" means you have adblocker turned off, rather than ads are disabled everywhere.
That's absolutely correct.

@Warmower: Uncheck 'Disable Everywhere' and you will get no more ads.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-10, 07:08

As mikey said this is a matter of misunderstanding the option. The "disable on this site" and "disable everywhere" option means you are disabling the blocking functionality - in turn allowing ads again. Maybe the double negative is a little confusing :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Warmower

Unread post by Warmower » 2014-10-10, 15:20

You're right! Thanks guys. :clap: :clap:

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2014-10-10, 15:21

That's what I figured. My AdBlock Plus is working with v25.0

nana2

Unread post by nana2 » 2014-10-10, 15:29

Adblock Edge is working fine but icon not showing in v25 and assume same for ABP.

I've bookmarked this link: https://addons.palemoon.org/firefox/incompatible/

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-10, 15:30

JodyThornton wrote:That's what I figured. My AdBlock Plus is working with v25.0
Just curious since I don't use Adblock Plus, but Adblock Edge in (24.7.2).

Concerning Adblock Plus, do you have the menu or the icon in the statusbar/toolbar being displayed in v25? Also, are you running Windows 7?
Last edited by Night Wing on 2014-10-10, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-10, 15:31

Night Wing wrote:
JodyThornton wrote:That's what I figured. My AdBlock Plus is working with v25.0
Just curious since I don't use Adblock Plus, but Adblock Edge.

Concerning Adblock Plus, do you have the menu or the icon in the statusbar/toolbar being displayed in v25? Also, are you running Windows 7?
ABE and ABP share the same issues.. ABE only exsists because of the option added to ABP to allow "well behaved" ads through which isn't as bad as it sounds.. it also has the option to disable this and block all ads like it did before making ABE irrelevant, a farce, and outdated.

Freezing Moon

Unread post by Freezing Moon » 2014-10-10, 15:52

I cannot use PM 25 without fully functioning ABP. I can't manage filters (add,delete,edit..) since there is no GUI.
I cannot use Element Hiding Helper for ABP also (no menu item). Other add-ons are working fine although with some problems (Greasemonkey,Stylish).
I guess developers of those add-ons don't care about Pale Moon users.BTW,where is option to change user agent ? Some
userscripts are not working (Google page).
I guess I'll stay with version 24.7.2 for now.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-10-10, 16:59

Freezing Moon wrote:BTW,where is option to change user agent ? Some userscripts are not working (Google page).
Yes, check the detailed release notes in the forum.

Kumusta

Unread post by Kumusta » 2014-10-10, 17:17

Freezing Moon wrote:I cannot use PM 25 without fully functioning ABP. I can't manage filters (add,delete,edit..) since there is no GUI.
I cannot use Element Hiding Helper for ABP also (no menu item). Other add-ons are working fine although with some problems (Greasemonkey,Stylish).
I guess developers of those add-ons don't care about Pale Moon users.BTW,where is option to change user agent ? Some
userscripts are not working (Google page).
I guess I'll stay with version 24.7.2 for now.
I got Adblock Edge to work right by editing the bootstrap.js file and changing the Firefox GUID with the Pale Moon 25 GUID and it works.I tried it with ABP and it didn't work.When I tried to install ADP I got an error saying it couldn't install it because it appears to be corrupt.I will use Adblock edge until they get ABP fixed to work with Pale Moon 25.

Quorx

Unread post by Quorx » 2014-10-10, 17:29

Freezing Moon wrote: I guess I'll stay with version 24.7.2 for now.
So do I. I hate Firefox for killing AddOn functionality with every release.
Now Palemoon has the same issue. :thumbdown:

I'd hoped Palemoon would get a popular, user-friendly browser which I can recommend to everyone.
The need to patch internal program files (which the average user has never heard from) manually is no way out. Most people neither are able nor do they want to tweak their software.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-10, 18:53

Quorx wrote:So do I. I hate Firefox for killing AddOn functionality with every release.
Now Palemoon has the same issue. :thumbdown:
Please understand that this is a one-time issue. I will not change GUID again since Pale Moon has its own now (as opposed to previously).
Also, the information has been available for add-on developers for 2 months already and they have been contacted through whatever channel we could to have them update their software. Very few have unfortunately responded (even those that support obscure and discontinued products). If you don't know that context, it may reflect poorly on Pale Moon. If you do, it becomes clear quickly that it is the unwillingness or inability of add-on developers to make small changes to their add-ons to add Pale Moon 25 as a supported product (target application). This may be caused by having abandoned the extension ("developer fatigue" resulting from the same breakage every Firefox release) or simply not having the time to work on software. Keep in mind that extensions are, almost without exception, written by people in their spare time and absolutely free of charge.

It will likely just take some time. This is one of the biggest changes in terms of extension compatibility, we've had to push and it could not be delayed any longer because as many people have seen, being shoved on the pile of a now-discontinued Firefox-ESR browser was preventing Pale Moon from moving forward.

I understand the frustration of broken add-ons. Unlike Firefox, though, we are not going to have the habit of breaking compatibility in any sort of major way every release (or every 6 weeks). It is absolutely not the same as rapid release woes, although the "user fatigue" in that respect is understandable. With some patience and in some time, we will either have our Pale Moon specific versions of the extensions that stopped working or the original developers will have added support. As you can see 25.0 is rightfully a major release and will not have everything compatible overnight.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-10, 19:41

Kumusta wrote:I got Adblock Edge to work right by editing the bootstrap.js file and changing the Firefox GUID with the Pale Moon 25 GUID and it works.
I use Adblock Edge, but I'm not a power user either which means:

1) I don't know where the "bootstrap.js" file is located.
2) I don't know how to get to the "bootstrap.js" file.
3) I don't know the exact code to edit the Firefox GUID to the Pale Moon GUID.

If I could get some clear instructions on the above, I just might be tempted to try this on my experimental Windows hard drive in my laptop which I use for experimentation. Otherwise with no clear instructions, I'll just have to stay with 24.7.2 for awhile.

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2014-10-10, 20:07

This post from Tobin gives an example of modifying the chrome.manifest and details the FF GUID and PM GUID: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5435#p33883

I don't appear to have any addon that has a bootstrap.js, but it should be in your PM profile under %appdata% (if you're using Win7) alongside the install.rdf file.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-10, 20:25

Because jetpack based add-ons don't have any defined rules to make them work for Pale Moon it is fairly individual to the specific add-on it could be a GUID it could be the appname it could be that you have to stand on one foot and say "I like peaches" 12 times to fix it.. This is one of the problems with jetpack based add-ons and this half-baked technology.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2014-10-10, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-10, 20:25

eskaton023 wrote:I don't appear to have any addon that has a bootstrap.js, but it should be in your PM profile under %appdata% (if you're using Win7) alongside the install.rdf file.
Thanks for giving me the link to the code. But your comment above, looks like I'm going to have to give my power user next door neighbor a call and see if he understands the above because I don't which means my computer illiterate side is sure showing at this moment. :?

Kumusta

Unread post by Kumusta » 2014-10-10, 20:42

Night Wing wrote:
Kumusta wrote:I got Adblock Edge to work right by editing the bootstrap.js file and changing the Firefox GUID with the Pale Moon 25 GUID and it works.
I use Adblock Edge, but I'm not a power user either which means:

1) I don't know where the "bootstrap.js" file is located.
2) I don't know how to get to the "bootstrap.js" file.
3) I don't know the exact code to edit the Firefox GUID to the Pale Moon GUID.

If I could get some clear instructions on the above, I just might be tempted to try this on my experimental Windows hard drive in my laptop which I use for experimentation. Otherwise with no clear instructions, I'll just have to stay with 24.7.2 for awhile.
I opened the adblockedge-2.1.5.xpi file in Bandizip and right clicked on the bootstrap.js file and clicked on edit and it opened it in the text editor I use.Scroll down the file you will see the line with the browsers and GUIDS and change the Firefox GUID with the Pale Moon 25 GUID.This is the Firefox GUID ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384 and this is the Pale Moon GUID 8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4 I changed it and saved the file and closed the text editor and Bandizip asked me if I wanted to replace the file with the obne I edited and I clicked on yes and it replaced it.I closed Bandizip and i9nstalled it in Pale Moon 25 and it worked.I'm not a power user either.It's not hard to do.Some extensions don't have a bootstrap.js file so you will have to edit the chrome.manifest file.This only works on extensions that don't have the GUID hardcoded in it.I hope this helps you aqnd anyone else who wants to try it.I did this to some other extensions I use since I don't know if they will ever be fixed to work with Pale Moon 25.