General discussion and chat (archived)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Somebody shoot Norton AV...

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-01, 23:10

...and their "sucpicious.cloud.*" false positives. :evil:

Please?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Greenboyb1

Re: Somebody shoot Norton AV...

Unread post by Greenboyb1 » 2012-05-01, 23:29

Will do with JOY! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-05-02, 03:28

I had one Norton as my AV when I bought my newest computer. Norton did okay with Pale Moon up with versions 4 through 7. Starting with version 8, Norton treated the update to version 8 as a "heuristic virus". Being computer illiterate, I had to get my neighbor to help me out because Norton killed my PM. Before I updated to version 9, I saw on here someone else who had Norton had the exact same thing happen to him with version 9.

Luckily for me, my neighbor was helping me out with installing three hard drives for my two computers so I didn't run into the "heuristic virus" syndrome Norton keeps giving Pale Moon.

This is when I kicked Norton to the curb where it belongs. :twisted: Downloaded Avast Free and haven't had any problems with Avast and Pale Moon starting with version 9. They both play well together. Since Avast Free doesn't include a firewall, I did online research and heard good things about the Comodo Firewall with it's Defense + HIPPS program that automatically comes with the firewall. CF plays well with Pale Moon too.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2012-05-03, 19:46

I use Norton and would like to know if it's ok to update to version 12 without worrying about Norton shutting it down or whatever, I've not had a prob with any other version and Norton! ......If not I'll just stick with 11 until Norton gets it sorted :)

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-05-03, 21:48

Avast have the same trouble, Commodo as well, I needed to turn off the clouds options for get some peace from nasty popups. It seems that everybody want to come back the "Mainframe V2.0: The cloud revenge that watch you all day" (Tron soundtrack in the background music)

RamBurner

Unread post by RamBurner » 2012-05-16, 02:44

Too bad Malwarebytes doesn't flag Norton as Malware or PUP [Possible Unwanted Program] lol and have it checked for removal.
But folks on my Windows machines I use Microsoft Security Essentials and it is lightweight, causes zero problems, and I don't get viruses. Oh and it works fine with PaleMoon :)

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-05-16, 03:43

RamBurner wrote:Too bad Malwarebytes doesn't flag Norton as Malware or PUP [Possible Unwanted Program] lol and have it checked for removal.
But folks on my Windows machines I use Microsoft Security Essentials and it is lightweight, causes zero problems, and I don't get viruses. Oh and it works fine with PaleMoon :)
Microsoft Security Essentials is for users with legal Windows licenses. :angel: It doesn't work with bootleg or "Starter" versions of the OS. :twisted:

dv8cowboy

Unread post by dv8cowboy » 2012-05-31, 19:42

I use Avast! 7 Home Pro,privatefirewall,Microsoft Security Essentials,Malwarebytes,Threatfire,Superantimalware and WinPatrol PLUS on both PM 12.1 and PM 12.1 64bit with absolutely no conflicts or problems and pretty light on resourses.My integrated seurity layered defense serves me nicely.I haven't had any viruses or Malware problems.I also turned off UAC on my Windows 7 Home Premium because it was the biggest pain I had (Microsoft doesn't come up with any answers to any problems anyway) The only gripe I do have is that it takes a bloody long time to do a full system scan with MSE! Nortons can''t be found within 100 KM of my system either... ;-)

-Cowboy
Last edited by dv8cowboy on 2012-06-01, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-05-31, 20:13

I have the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system on my main computer (with 16 GB of memory) and using the free version of Avast, it takes 38 minutes to do a "full" scan.

On my backup Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit computer (with only 1 GB of memory), it takes 1 hour and 45 minutes to do a "full" scan using the same free version of Avast.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox