Adobe reader plugin NOT there

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
occam

Adobe reader plugin NOT there

Unread post by occam » 2014-09-03, 09:20

Hi

I am running Palemoon x64 portable latest version (under Win 8.1).

I need to access pdf forms online via Adobe Reader (Don't ask why, I have no option, for reasons best known to the client who funds me).

I have installed Adobe reader XI, however when I access the client's site, the app there says "Adobe reader not detected, can't edit these forms online"

What I have already done:
under Options > options > applications the 'PDF file' is set to 'Use Adobe Reader'

The problem I think is that under 'plugins' I cannot see the adobe plugin. Why was this not installed automatically for Palemoon when Reader XI installed? More important, how can I install it manually?

Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Adobe reader plugin NOT there

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-03, 11:21

All of this is already stated on the Pale Moon x64 page but I guess it needs repeating again.

You are likely not having a 64-bit adobe reader plugin. Plugins need to be the same architecture as the browser (since they are binary components). 32-bit plugins do not work in 64-bit browsers. It's a drawback for 64-bit browser use since the number of 64-bit plugins is limited.

I'm not sure if Adobe publishes a 64-bit version of their plugin. If not, you need to switch to the 32-bit browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-03, 20:35

While there is no 64bit plugin for acrobat reader. You can still just "Open" them where they get downloaded to a temporary location and then opened up in the standalone acrobat reader software. This is very trivial when compared to the plugin except it won't open in a tab.

occam

Unread post by occam » 2014-09-04, 08:00

Thank you both. No Adobe x64 plugin explains the mystery. Matt's response gives a possible 'fix' while we await for a 64-bit plugin for Reader.

Moonchild - When I logged into the Forum, I had the choice of going into 'Palemon x64' or 'Portable Pale Moon' section. I guess I made the wrong choice in this case, as I run a 64-bit portable Pale moon browser ;-)