Migrating from Firefox Portable to Pale Moon Portable

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Daedalon

Migrating from Firefox Portable to Pale Moon Portable

Unread post by Daedalon » 2012-04-25, 23:19

What are the steps to migrate my profile from Firefox Portable to Pale Moon Portable?

Greenboyb1

Re: Migrating from Firefox Portable to Pale Moon Portable

Unread post by Greenboyb1 » 2012-04-26, 16:12

Here is the link that Dark Moon was trying to post: Pale Moon profile migration tool

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-26, 17:53

The migration tool won't help when you copy from a portable, it's designed for use on desktop installations only.
What you should do is look where Firefox portable stores its user profile, and copy the contents of it to the \user\Palemoon\profiles\default folder under Pale Moon Portable's root folder.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Daedalon

Unread post by Daedalon » 2012-04-26, 19:44

Thanks for all the replies. If I remember correctly, I did do just that (copy). Since the directory structures of Firefox Portable and Pale Moon Portable were different, I had to start PMP once to see where it would create a profile. However, despite copying a new one and deleting the one PMP created didn't work.

I'll recheck when I'm in the same environment where I need to use the portable to verify the exact steps. If in the meanwhile someone has exact steps that are verified to work, that would save the trouble.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-26, 20:24

Giving exact steps is difficult if you don't know the structure of whichever version of Firefox portable you use (there are a bunch of different ones out there, each with their own individual setup and locations).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Daedalon

Unread post by Daedalon » 2012-04-26, 22:14

The one in use was downloaded from here: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

The version might not be the newest at the moment, but can be updated before migration if it makes a difference.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-26, 22:56

I had a quick look, and it seems the profile is stored under FirefoxPortable\Data\profile in the Firefox Portable by PortableApps.

What you need to do is select everything in that folder, and copy it to \user\Palemoon\profiles\default of Pale Moon portable, overwriting the files of the same name that are there.

Daedalon

Unread post by Daedalon » 2012-04-27, 00:02

I'll try that the next time. Thanks!

Daedalon

Unread post by Daedalon » 2012-04-30, 07:03

That worked. Thanks!

A quick recap of the steps done for successful migration from PortableApps Firefox Portable to Pale Moon Portable:
  1. Installing Pale Moon Portable.
  2. Starting Pale Moon Portable executable once and closing it after the start page had loaded.
  3. Copying all data from Firefox Portable's folder Data\profile to Pale Moon Portable's folder User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default, overwriting all existing data.
Only parent.lock could not be copied since it was used by a process that couldn't be ended for some reason, but this isn't likely a normal scenario. Skipping that file didn't seem to cause any issues and I'm now writing this text in Pale Moon Portable.