Pale Moon for Android 24.7.1

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Pale Moon for Android 24.7.1

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-03, 11:37

Thanks to cyansmoker's time building this binary, here it is! Pale Moon 24.7.1 for Android.

Please note that sync is still non-functional, so you won't be able to sync with your desktop at this time.
The .apk is also signed and marked as a release version (as opposed to development).

You can download the .apk from ftp://publicandroid:get@ftp.palemoon.org/releases/
Google Play is still being stubborn like a mule because of the previous illegal publish of PM4A by BlueTechnologies which currently doesn't allow me to upload the .apk to the Google Play store because "the package name already exists". I'm poking Google about this - it's rather silly that I'd be forced to make changes to my app because someone else decided to wrongly publish my browser.
I'm also looking into what's needed for f-droid but submitting something to that repo seems needlessly convoluted and extremely backlogged.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cyansmoker

Re: Pale Moon for Android 24.7.1

Unread post by cyansmoker » 2014-08-03, 20:12

Let me know if you ever succeed in getting the old package name removed from their db. I know that in my experience I had to rename my own package :(

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-03, 21:09

It's kind of stupid, forcing a developer to make internal software changes because someone else decided to do something illegal. Just kill the db record already, it's not supposed to be there in the first place, right?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

cyansmoker

Unread post by cyansmoker » 2014-08-05, 08:22

Seems reasonable.

Among Android devs, it appears that the recommended course of action is that, as soon as you build a package locally, you should go to the play console and create an app using that package name. You do not need to upload anything or publish your app; it simply works as package "parking."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-05, 08:32

Well, I'll have to change the package name then, since someone else "parked" mine. Hell, they shouldn't even be allowed to park anything unless they can verify ownership of the domain name palemoon.org if they submit a package org.palemoon.* -- IMNSHO. Otherwise it's a wild scramble to park all logical names :P Google just needs to control it a bit better. they seem keen on doing that everywhere else, so why not in the play store?

EDIT: I see no way to "park" my intended future app package name. I must upload an APK with the intended name.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-08-05, 16:14

AFAICT org.palemoon.mobile has already been removed. I don't know if Google Play allows another APK with the same name. If they don't allow, you could speak to Google.

org.palemoon.android could be considered if they don't allow '.mobile'.

EDIT: best to send them a legal notice. They also published it on Appbrain.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-05, 17:44

I sent google a legal notice. I wrote to them directly as well, no response.
What is appbrain?

EDIT: found appbrain, it doesn't list pale moon.

cyansmoker

Unread post by cyansmoker » 2014-08-06, 05:21

Moonchild wrote:Well, I'll have to change the package name then, since someone else "parked" mine. Hell, they shouldn't even be allowed to park anything unless they can verify ownership of the domain name palemoon.org if they submit a package org.palemoon.* -- IMNSHO. Otherwise it's a wild scramble to park all logical names :P Google just needs to control it a bit better. they seem keen on doing that everywhere else, so why not in the play store?

EDIT: I see no way to "park" my intended future app package name. I must upload an APK with the intended name.
I stand corrected: you need to upload a bogus apk in order to reserve the package name. If you click "Add new application" > "Prepare my listing" there is no other way to enter your package name that by uploading that bogus apk.
Note that it is now in "Draft" state, meaning no one else can use this package name.

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2014-08-06, 15:36

Installed it on my S3. Seems to work fine..!! Thanks.

moritzthecat

Unread post by moritzthecat » 2014-08-08, 10:48

Please note that sync is still non-functional, so you won't be able to sync with your desktop at this time.
this prob. is related to a PaleMoon Sync Server.

I have successfully used sync with an owncloud sync server (Mozilla Sync 1.4 app) and even strong ciphers are now supported, which were limited to RC4 before. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5211&p=33290#p33290

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-08, 10:52

Pale Moon Sync is running at the moment though. I don't seem to have any problems with it at the moment, myself, since I made some changes to the server setup.

But yes, OwnCloud would work - I even looked at it as an alternative for Mozilla's Sync implementation but it can't be used for a public Sync service (requires OwnCloud accounts).

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-08-10, 03:19

Okay I will give a run to this version now. When I turn off Ad block plus the old beta version was more stable. But still do rare things like "dissapear" images that I download. Let's see what happens with this new pokemon.

Heartfelt

Unread post by Heartfelt » 2014-08-11, 05:39

Off-topic:
I just downloaded and installed 24.7.1. Holy crap! It feels really fast on the Nexus 5! Extensions install perfectly.

Thanks to everyone involved!

Heartfelt

Unread post by Heartfelt » 2014-08-15, 01:36

Off-topic:
I haven't seen anyone post this yet:

http://lifehacker.com/speed-optimized-b ... 1610070974

Also, I'm running Pale Moon on my Nexus 5 with no issues to report yet. Smooth sailing! I'm posting from it right now.

:thumbup:

Edit: sorry for the double-post. I forgot I had replied in this thread.
Last edited by Heartfelt on 2014-08-15, 19:06, edited 3 times in total.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-08-15, 06:09

Off-topic:
Haha nice, a xda forum post for palemoon. Need to write something there

Catman51

Unread post by Catman51 » 2014-08-18, 02:03

Impressed, this browser, except for syncing bookmarks is really great. Thank you!

MarkXS

Unread post by MarkXS » 2014-08-22, 19:32

Can the default sync be set by the user back to the Mozilla Sync 1.1 servers, for those of us still in a mixed PM/FF environment who have our Firefox, FF Beta, or Aurora FF still syncing the old way? I had long been successfully syncing across Moonchild Productions/Mozilla browsers with the old Firefox sync, and installed FF, FF beta, or Aurora on Android starting at the last version with old-sync. Since they are still running it, at least for now, and since there are sometimes still glitches with PM especially on Android, I'd like to keep syncing via the old method.

In PM desktop for Linux, I know where the changes go, and just did them in about:config. Though it was syncing to Mozilla servers anyway, despite having the sync.palemoon.net coded as the default and active in about:config. Will the same changes work in PM for Android?

This is especially important, because in my view, PM Android 24.7.1 "broke sync" (unavoidably, and yes it's really Mozilla's fault). 24.7.1 would not install over the 24.7b2 beta I had installed and had used as my main browser for a few weeks, due to a different signature. It started to install but failed throwing the error "a version with a different signature is already installed" at the end of the install process. The beta did sync with Mozilla servers on old-sync, so it had all my passwords, history, settings etc. I had to de-install 24.7b2 in order to install 24.7.1, which meant a fresh install, which meant no settings, and no sync to get them back.

If I can set 24.7.1 (and upcoming version) back to the mozilla sync while it still works, then I can reliably use PM for Android despite occasional glitches being part of the necessary development/test progress. But I've grown very accustomed to being able to share history, open tabs, send tabs, within the overall FF/PM infrastructure, and don't want to go without that on Android.

PM is working overall quite well on both my reasonably-powered Kobo Arc (original version) Android 4.1.1 tablet and my cheap, low-resources Blu Dash 4.0 Android 4.0.4 typical developing-nations cheap smartphone. And working marvelously of course on both Windows and on Linux Mint, my normal OS. So I do want to stay within the PM world, but need working sync, with some FF compatibility, at least for now. Thus, my hope that 24.7.1 can talk to the old sync servers while you work out the kinks with your own PM sync (or while I figure out if I feel like running something, which would be stretching my skill level some.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-22, 22:39

No, I won't set sync to the Mozilla servers when you set it up from your mobile device, since the Mozilla servers for sync 1.1 will be shut down on the short term, and FF sync 1.1 will completely cease to function when that happens.
You can set Sync to use the Mozilla servers as long as it still works by pairing your mobile device using the 12-character code with your Firefox sync; it will communicate which server to sync against as part of the process.

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-09-03, 13:11

My IP address (the one from which I'm posting this message) seems to have got blacklisted on ftp.palemoon.org/releases/, possibly due to my downloader thrashing the connection for some unknown reason (now fixed). Not a big problem so far since I've already got PM for Android 24.7.1, but likely be a problem when I want to download the next version.

Any change of getting it un-blacklisted, please?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-03, 13:23

Blocks due to connection abuse are temporary. It will resolve itself in a number of hours.