No precompiled builds for "old" Linux64 CPUs?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
tonymec

No precompiled builds for "old" Linux64 CPUs?

Unread post by tonymec » 2014-08-03, 03:47

I'm running openSUSE Linux on Intel Pentium 4 HT (x86_64) CPU. IIUC this means much too old for AVX, which in turn means no 64-bit Palemoon available (unless I want to compile it myself, and I don't think I'm ready for that). Right?

I have posted my /proc/cpuinfo online.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: No precompiled builds for "old" Linux64 CPUs?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-03, 10:01

You don't need AVX for the Linux builds. AVX builds are a separate project :)
SSE2 would suffice! Any P4 should support SSE2.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tonymec

Unread post by tonymec » 2014-08-03, 14:33

Moonchild wrote:You don't need AVX for the Linux builds. AVX builds are a separate project :)
SSE2 would suffice! Any P4 should support SSE2.
And does "any P4" support x86_64, or are they only i686 32-bit builds, which will run on 64-bit systems with the proper 32-bit libraries installed, but not take advantage of the 64-bit architecture?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-03, 15:02

If your cpu supports the 64-bit instruction set, then you can run Pale Moon x64. If it doesn't, then you can't. If you are using 64-bit linux, your processor obviously supports 64-bit.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cyansmoker

Unread post by cyansmoker » 2014-08-05, 08:17

Tonymec,

have you tried running Pale Moon? On paper, it looks like your system should support it.