The Department of Redundancy Department

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Jive Dadson

The Department of Redundancy Department

Unread post by Jive Dadson » 2014-05-26, 05:48

Jive Dadson

Re: The Department of Redundancy Department

Unread post by Jive Dadson » 2014-05-26, 05:57

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-05-26, 06:11

This issue is best outlined here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4651

EDIT: Ok, sorry. I am not sure how to take this thread. Is it to convey and actual issue or just for fun. Because I am down for either. In all seriousness I kinda see your point. Moonchild reimplementing the caption title would have it display in it's entirety. Which is %title% - %appname%. I am not sure if he would make a conditional in the code to omit the %apptitle% part of it when viewed with no menu bar it would seem to do as such would add an unnecessary complication to code. Truth be told this doesn't bother me and some people collapse the app menu to an icon with an addon or userChrome trick.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-26, 07:40

The nondescript department of nondescriptness when making nondescript threads with just images.

If it really bothers you, you can always use the classic menu bar, as well ;)
classicmenu.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Jive Dadson

Unread post by Jive Dadson » 2014-05-26, 07:52

Fair enough. But Firefox somehow manages not to show the redundant label.

I was a software engineer for over 35 years. I think I developed chronic pickyitus.

I should say, I have fallen madly in love with Pale Moon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-26, 11:10

Firefox doesn't show the label because Firefox doesn't show the page title at all when it shows the AppMenu button. ;)

I've looked at the relevant code though, just to be sure, but it's not something that can easily be changed. The title is used by more than just the display title, and is tied in with the "can draw in title bar" state of the browser, language strings, private browsing mode and a few other things. I may remove it completely for all states, as on modern OS-es it has very little use anymore.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sowmoots

Unread post by Sowmoots » 2014-05-26, 18:32

I actually prefer the application name being in the title, since it's standard behavior for program windows to display it's name and the current opened document(tab) in it's title bar. If you don't want redundancy, you can style the Pale Moon button to display other text instead.

Code: Select all

#appmenu-button dropmarker:before {
    content: "Menu" !important;
    padding-right: 6px !important;
}
#appmenu-button > hbox > hbox > label {
    display: none !important;
}
#main-window::after {
    padding-left: 110px !important;
}

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-05-31, 00:03

Suddenly I see Arthur in the corridor again, avocados anyone? ;)

Maybe this could be a nice add-on for the Palemoon Commander, aka made Palemoon look like X version of FireFox so people can customize this small bits in the program.

tymyrick

Unread post by tymyrick » 2014-06-11, 17:31

One good reason to leave the program name in the title bar along with the page name is so the user can reference it when writing scripts on their computer. I use AutoHotKey to automate various actions. Some of those actions are program specific. Since it is standard on Windows to have the program name in the title bar, it is possible to write scripts that check for the program name on each window before activating.

I don't currently have any scripts that reference Pale Moon specifically, but if I would prefer to leave the name in the title bar, for that reason if no other.

Thank you.

Jive Dadson

Unread post by Jive Dadson » 2014-11-02, 06:30

Sowmoots wrote:I actually prefer the application name being in the title, since it's standard behavior for program windows to display it's name and the current opened document(tab) in it's title bar. If you don't want redundancy, you can style the Pale Moon button to display other text instead.

#appmenu-button dropmarker:before {
    content: "Menu" !important;
    padding-right: 6px !important;
}
#appmenu-button > hbox > hbox > label {
    display: none !important;
}
    padding-left: 110px !important;
}
Plus...

opacity: 0 !important 
}

MaxwellSmart

Unread post by MaxwellSmart » 2015-05-24, 20:07

I realize this is an old thread, but in response to
quote: "I may remove it completely for all states, as on modern OS-es it has very little use anymore." ~Moonchild
One very important use for the title bar, even when invisible, is that KeePass + KeeFox use the title bar to pick up either the hostname, url
or window title for each correlating password entry. Removing this would require KeePass users to enter window titles or whatever they use
to title their entries by hand. I easily have over 900 entries in KeepPass. Even though I occasionally have issues with the text in the title bar,
please don't actually remove it.
P.S. Even though this is my first post, I have been using and loving Pale Moon for at least 4 years. Stick to your guns, and thanks for the great work.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-05-31, 17:33

Tried the code above but it seems to remove all text from the title bar - not possible to only remove " - Pale Moon"?

(older thread on this)