Starchild's checklist; Switching the Fx29 user to Pale Moon.

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
Starchild

Starchild's checklist; Switching the Fx29 user to Pale Moon.

Unread post by Starchild » 2014-05-16, 03:14

There are different things that people do to their browser. Lots of it isn't very unique, but some changes done in Firefox can pose issues after the switch. A move should be as simple as moving the Firefox profile over to where Pale Moon will pick up on it, but it isn't that easy considering we're talking about two similar browsers with mostly the same functionality. Most of these issues can be avoided by doing the following within and outside Firefox and Pale Moon;
□; Mandatory / Suggested, ◌; Optional / If applicable

Code: Select all

□ Ensure Java is up to date (and even then PM will complain, don't mind it)
□ Ensure Flash is up to date
◌ Memorize and remove (*NOT DELETE*) buttons made with Custom Buttons / Custom Buttons² from Firefox's interface (paranoia check, optional)
└──◌ Install Classic Theme Restorer only if you suspect buttons are hidden in the addon bar
◌ Disable all *interface* user styles for Stylish users (If applicable, you don't know what code does which)
◌ Disable all *interface* scripts for Greasemonkey users (Same reasoning)
◌ Disable / Delete any extensions with the word "Classic" in their title (If applicable)
└──□  if Classic Theme Restorer, delete localstore.rdf in profile
□ Go to about:support on Firefox 29 and copy into a document its text
□ Install and launch an instance of Pale Moon so the birthday launch creates a blank profile
□ Open Pale Moon's blocklist.xml file and begin comparing plugin IDs
□ Delete in Firefox any extensions found in Pale Moon's blocklist
└──◌ Uninstall programs related to "Unpopular" extensions and plugins if applicable
   └──□ Run an antivirus if an extension installed is known to be bad and irremovable through conventional means
□ Delete blocklist.xml in the Firefox profile to be transferred
□ Compare userchrome.css in the Firefox and Pale Moon profiles to see if they had been modified
└──□ If modified, move userchrome.css elsewhere for testing later
□ Copy / Move contents of the profile in Firefox's appdata into the profile in Pale Moon's appdata
◌ Copy profile name in Firefox's profile appdata, and rename default profile (Optional)
└──□ If done, copy profiles.ini from Firefox's appdata into Pale Moon's appdata, modify as necessary
◌ Install checkCompatiblity addon if there are necessary, albeit outdated extensions
└──□ Better yet, find up-to-date alternatives / derivative extensions and explain later
   └──◌ Install keyconfig (from mozillazine or AMO) and modify key commands as necessary for replacement extensions
□ Confirm everything works before letting the user be seated to use the browser, make adjustments as necessary
├──□ Rename default userchrome.css in transferred profile, move old userchrome.css in for testing
├──□ Re-enable / Restore any disabled Stylish styles, Greasemonkey scripts and buttons made with Custom Buttons / Custom Buttons²
└──□ Reinstall plugins if they refuse to function in Pale Moon (There should be a better way to prevent this, help appreciated)
Off-topic:
Sorry for so many changes, I am trying to be as thorough and make this as exhaustive a checklist as I can. Contribute what you'd do as part of a transfer protocol that should be in this list!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Starchild's checklist; Switching the Fx29 user to Pale M

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-16, 07:24

Thanks for this, I'm sure it will be a valuable resource for people :)

One note: "Delete in Firefox any extensions found in Pale Moon's blocklist" - I'll be updating the profile migration tool soon-ish to take care of this, or at least for the one pertinent one that matters (status-4-evar) to avoid conflicts.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Starchild

Unread post by Starchild » 2014-05-16, 14:05

Thanks for the compliment MC. There's a reason I say some of the stuff I'm suggesting;
- Classic Theme Restorer merely reverts Firefox users to an older interface, and it adds its own browser button and such so it's really, really unnecessary to permit in Pale Moon
- The extension author for CTR said something about needing to delete localstore.rdf for the interface change (away from Australis) to go smoothly, so I assume the inverse is true, too.
- Pale Moon has a blocklist of its own so it shouldn't be transferred over to supersede it (and in turn prevent the blocklist in Pale Moon functioning as you specified)

Other than that the rest of the list explains itself.

Ideally for the profile migration tool, both CTR and localstore.rdf (and if Pale Moon provides its own version of this file, localstore-safe.rdf [which exists for reasons I don't know]) should be skipped over in one fell swoop.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-16, 14:40

Good point about CTR, as well. I'll have a look at making special cases for that as well. (If CTR is found, then don't migrate localstore, etc. - I don't want to just skip localstore blindly because classic UI Firefox users will have their UI customizations stored in that.)

Do you know the extension ID for CTR? Never mind, I found it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2014-05-16, 16:13

Do you need to do that through the Profile Migration Tool or shouldn't it be done simply through normal extension checking? The latter would take care of all those situations where people copy the profile from Firefox to Pale Moon for whatever reason (Profile Migration tool doesn't work because it's a secondary profile, or it's backup restauration, etc.)

I remember when I converted from FF 22 or 23 to Pale Moon. I simply copied the profile from one place to the other, then wondered why Status-4-Evar was automatically turned off (the extension is incompatible – content is already included – but there was no explanation message). What about simply having a standard paragraph on the initial landing page (the one that appears after Pale Moon first run) that would say something like, for example:
Have any of your extensions been disabled? Here is why:
– The following extensions were disabled because they are not appropriate for Pale Moon: Classic Theme Restorer,
– The following extensions were disabled because they already are included within Pale Moon: Status-4-Evar,...

About localstore.rdf
I converted a few computers from FF28 to FF29 and installed Classic Theme Restorer. I never deleted localstore.rdf and never had any problems. I had to redo some customization anyway because FF "upgrade" moved many things around, but still, about 30% was left. So would it work when one upgrades from FF28 or 29 (with or without CTR) to Pale Moon 24? It might be worth a try.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Starchild

Unread post by Starchild » 2014-05-16, 16:35

This, from the extension's information page:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer wrote:It is recommended to switch to a new clean profile (or at least delete 'localstore.rdf' from profile folder) to avoid UI issues after upgrading from Firefox 28 (and older) to Firefox 29 (and newer).
Note: Hitting "Restore Defaults" in customizing mode (Fx29+) is (almost) equal to deleting 'localstore.rdf' and easier to perform
That's why I default to performing that. Nonetheless doing so was a good time to clean things up anyway.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-16, 19:13

mgagnonlv wrote:Do you need to do that through the Profile Migration Tool or shouldn't it be done simply through normal extension checking?
The migration tool is the right place to do this. It's easy enough to perform a profile check and remove unwanted files after the fact. Including a message about status-4-evar when it's found after removing it, pointing people to the correct place to configure Pale Moon after migration.
mgagnonlv wrote:About localstore.rdf
I converted a few computers from FF28 to FF29 and installed Classic Theme Restorer. I never deleted localstore.rdf and never had any problems. I had to redo some customization anyway because FF "upgrade" moved many things around, but still, about 30% was left. So would it work when one upgrades from FF28 or 29 (with or without CTR) to Pale Moon 24? It might be worth a try.
It seems a good idea that when CTR is found, to remove CTR+localstore.rdf, because it's likely that downgrading will leave unnecessary (and potentially UI breaking) data in it, considering the already hard-coded "upgrade" done through Australis + the additional changes from CTR. It's necessary house cleaning to go from that situation.

Starchild

Unread post by Starchild » 2014-05-16, 20:03

I wouldn't necessarily say remove. It might be much more "Efficient" to gather necessary routine data first (Check extension IDs, plugin file names etc), copy the profile folder name from Firefox and make a new profile folder inside Pale Moon using that information, then copying over what's necessary, skipping things as stuff is done (Don't copy these extensions, don't copy this pref file, copy profiles.ini etc).

zohaa

Unread post by zohaa » 2014-09-16, 09:05

Last edited by zohaa on 2014-09-30, 11:05, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-16, 10:51

zohaa wrote:is there anyway to retain the lighter Tabs available with the default theme whilst using a Persona?
It'll be one of the things I'm hoping to improve in v25