DRM in HTML5...

General discussion and chat (archived)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

DRM in HTML5...

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-14, 20:31

An interesting read, at least: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... y-doctorow

In short, a Mozilla deal with Adobe to provide a closed-source, DMCA-protected DRM module to automatically be downloaded and run in a sandbox to decrypt HTML5 video. The sandbox has to conform to very specific restrictions that the Adobe module will check (through unspecified means) to prevent altered sandboxes from bypassing the "do not save to disk" restriction required for DRM. Basically, building DRM into Firefox, albeit indirectly.

I'm not happy about this - the main question is: why does this have to be in the browser for a very small percentage of DRM-protected video? Why can't Netflix users use a Netflix decryption plugin instead, if DRM is that much of a deal?

Why do I feel this is a close parallel to Adobe having its fingers in Chrome (integrated Flash)...? :think:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Re: DRM in HTML5...

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-05-15, 01:41

Small piece you miss bro: Firefox OS. This makes sense in their Android competition OS (now in shiny 1.5 version!).

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-05-15, 05:44

While I'm very much opposed to DRM as it is just a form of "security by obscurity" and is only protected by legal means, now that the W3C has standardised it, browsers have to implement it. Although, if this is the way it's going to be implemented (to get the binary blobs, you have to sign contracts with Adobe) would take away the ability of other less known browsers to implement the HTML5 DRM scheme.

However, I don't really understand how this is better than using DRM in plugins like Flash. This also involves binary components, and probably shares the same problems as plugins. And, wow, Adobe is implementing this? A new payload delivery mechanism, or atleast useful for that heap spray ...
Moonchild wrote:prevent altered sandboxes from bypassing the "do not save to disk" restriction
They don't want to save to disk? Because things can be copied only from the disk, right? Wrong.
Moonchild wrote:why does this have to be in the browser for a very small percentage of DRM-protected video?
Well, don't they have to employ programmers for this purpose? That'll cost them so much, and they're already strapped of cash due to piracy. How could you be so insensitive?

(Apart from the fact that just a single one month, a few determined and skilled people, lots of coffee, and copies of a debugger are required for this DRM to fall apart. In a few months, Joe will be able to circumvent the DRM.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-15, 11:07

access2godzilla wrote:However, I don't really understand how this is better than using DRM in plugins like Flash.
Appearances. They want to appear to be "plugin-free". Following the "HTML5 video doesn't need plugins" so "the browser can natively decode the video" - while under the hood, it's still using a plugin... But the dumb user won't know this.

Note: plugin downloaded on the fly at that... since the sandbox won't allow permanent disk storage it means it has to be downloaded every time... opening up a whole can of worms on its own by having to rely on yet another server providing data to be able to view something, and at the same time letting those third-party Adobe servers know that you're about to view DRM protected video.... Thank you privacy-aware Mozilla? How is the privacy policy covering this personally identifiable connection?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2014-05-15, 11:17

What is this "privacy" you are talking about? Get over it...

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2014-05-15, 11:53

Haven't they learned that these types of measures generally do not work, at least not for long.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-05-15, 12:19

What is especially ridiculous is that for videos, when you watch it you get all the content. As long as you can record your screen, it's gg wp, not even having to dig in how the "blackbox" works.
So in the end, the only move to make this not absolutely ridiculous is to have no control on anything for the user, with an OS which let you only minimal interacting rights and run only "approved" softwares, with remote control of what is authorized or not. It ends pretty crazy.
See this good article : https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

juren99

Will new versions of PM have DRM?

Unread post by juren99 » 2014-05-15, 20:14

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-15, 20:33

"...this new implementation contains the same deep flaws as the old system. It doesn’t strike the correct balance between protecting individual people and protecting digital content." -- Then why implement it, Mozilla?

DRM is all about punishing the people who play by the book. It doesn't help anyone except overpaid lawyers and in general the people who already have droves of cash by squeezing artists (I know first hand from my experience with the music industry).

I'm not likely to implement DRM in future versions of Pale Moon, especially since it requires the inclusion of closed-source components that you're not even allowed to look at. If that means I'm being "nonconformist" with the big players, then so be it. Even if the W3C capitulates and makes it a recommendation, there's no requirement for me to include it in my product.

Eevee1010

Unread post by Eevee1010 » 2014-05-15, 20:55

I am not very well versed in technology in general so forgive if this sounds stupid.I know DRM stops you from sharing and copying stuff but isn't DRM also the thing that deletes books,music, and movies off my devices that I already paid for legally but the big companies no longer have rights to the product so I basically pay for something I never own in the eyes on the law?

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2014-05-16, 11:28

From Why Brendan Eich had to go:
Eich stood firmly in the way of Mozilla incorporating DRM into Firefox. Now that he's gone, and his technological authority with him, Mozilla immediately caved to Hollywood interests. It's also interesting to note that the justification for Mozilla making this change is given as fear that users will abandon them. That demonstrates that the campaign to #uninstallfirefox was based on a sound principle, even if it was not quite as successful as I would have liked it to be.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-16, 12:20

Off-topic:
Interesting, from that same article:
As of yesterday, Firefox still represents 21 percent of the traffic here at VP, although it is down from 34 percent historically. But at least 8 percent of the overall traffic, (and nearly a quarter of the former Mozilla traffic), now uses Pale Moon.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-05-16, 12:41

Off-topic:
It's an american christian blog (I looked a little bit), so I guess that since Eich's story this started to move away from mozilla, ending to that unusually high value. But... Interesting yeah for sure.