Manually moving firefox profile, plugins etc

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
famewolf

Manually moving firefox profile, plugins etc

Unread post by famewolf » 2014-04-30, 21:19

Obviously the migration tool (windows based) isn't gonna cut it....I manually copied over the profile, plugins etc but ended up with the quirky firefox menu I'm trying to get away from so my question is what parts of the profile should I NOT copy...is it just prefs.js? I'll use FEBE if I have to.....

MrsAngelD

Re: Manually moving firefox profile, plugins etc

Unread post by MrsAngelD » 2014-04-30, 22:03

I just used FEBE I installed it on firefox and did a selective backup with all items checked. Then installed it on Palemoon and re-installed my extensions & search plugins. Yes I had to set my toolbars up again, but it wasn't too difficult.

I use lastpass & xmarks for passwords & bookmarks but FEBE does backup bookmarks as well.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/febe/

famewolf

Unread post by famewolf » 2014-04-30, 23:24

Thanks for the reply...I did the febe selective backup and then manually restored each item but it still leaves several things undone...for example you are logged out of every page you normally visit....this is an issue if you use imacro's that assume you are logged in....

In a nutshell what I'd rather do is copy over the firefox profile then overlay the parts that give the pale moon ui.....I like having the "normal" icons and pulldown menu's instead of them all being under one........if anyone has any suggestions I'd be appreciative.

Thanks to the dev for making pale moon available for linux. I did run into one problem with pminstaller.sh...I had to run it as actual root...a sudo was not sufficient and resulted in: (yad:6742): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

This was on opensuse tumbleweed x86_64.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-30, 23:58

I think you may just want to copy everything across with the exception of localstore.rdf and any plugins (since those would be OS specific) - That way you would get all the standard toolbars and controls for the target OS.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

famewolf

Unread post by famewolf » 2014-05-01, 02:02

Moonchild wrote:I think you may just want to copy everything across with the exception of localstore.rdf and any plugins (since those would be OS specific) - That way you would get all the standard toolbars and controls for the target OS.

Thanks..that worked great. The plugins were not an issue since both the firefox and pale moon folders were under the same os.

HaroldA

Unread post by HaroldA » 2014-05-18, 19:29

Indeed; like famewolf, copying all but localstore.rdf seems to work just fine (Debian squeeze 32 bit). Thanks to you and the Linux build people for making it "just work".

(And work better than Firefox, and a LOT better than the disaster that is Firefox 29.0.1 for Linux.)

- Harold

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2014-09-14, 20:48

Would you mind posting the firefox and Pale Moon directory trees that you moved from and to? I'm a new Linux user and am still very unfamiliar with the file structure.
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2014-09-15, 01:50

gi_jimbo wrote:Would you mind posting the firefox and Pale Moon directory trees that you moved from and to? I'm a new Linux user and am still very unfamiliar with the file structure.
Probably the easiest way for you to identify the profile path in each browser would be to open a new Tab and enter 'about:support' (without the single quotes) in each browser's 'Search or enter address' box and press enter.

In the resulting 'Troubleshooting Information' tab, click on the button labelled: 'Open Directory' next to: 'Profile Directory'. This should result in you native file manager opening to the path of the profile directory for each of your browsers...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-15, 02:48

Direct profile migration will become more and more difficult as time goes by and the two diverge.. So do it while it is still fairly compatible :D

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2014-11-11, 04:15

martywd wrote:
gi_jimbo wrote:Would you mind posting the firefox and Pale Moon directory trees that you moved from and to? I'm a new Linux user and am still very unfamiliar with the file structure.
Probably the easiest way for you to identify the profile path in each browser would be to open a new Tab and enter 'about:support' (without the single quotes) in each browser's 'Search or enter address' box and press enter.

In the resulting 'Troubleshooting Information' tab, click on the button labelled: 'Open Directory' next to: 'Profile Directory'. This should result in you native file manager opening to the path of the profile directory for each of your browsers...

I know this is a bit late but thanks a ton! That worked like a charm.
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697