Quicklist

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
vayth

Quicklist

Unread post by vayth » 2014-02-12, 00:50

First of all, thanks to a2g for bringing MC's masterpiece to linux :thumbup:

I just want to say, that I can't find the quicklist (or whatever it's name; right click on panel icon to show open new tab, new private tab, etc). Not on cairo-dock at least, while the firefox quicklist work nicely as usual.
Is there something I miss / bug?

Thanks before :D
Attachments
firefox_quicklist.png
firefox_quicklist.png (18.84 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
palemoon_quicklist.png
palemoon_quicklist.png (14.64 KiB) Viewed 3674 times

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Quicklist

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-02-12, 01:17

If I'm understanding you correctly (and I may not be) the quicklist as you call it where the "new tab, new window, new private window" is located under File in the Menu Bar. The blue colored Pale Button in Windows isn't available in linux Pale Moon (at least it isn't on my linux Mint 16 XFCE and SolydX operating systems).

Now that I see your attachments, I think you and I are not on the same page.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

vayth

Unread post by vayth » 2014-02-12, 02:01

Palemoon blue button? I got it there at it's normal place, although like firefox, it's colorless. If I remember correctly (or maybe just didn't notice, but I can't reproduce it any longer anyway), the button didn't appear when I first remove Navigation Bar, but it did appear when I went to Tabs on Top. I usually move the button to the left end, though, like G.Chrome, with Moveable Firefox Button addons.

The quicklist I mean is the right click menu that appear when you right click the icon on Windows' taskbar or Ubuntu Unity's launcher. I tried the default program list on Cinnamon default panel, but it seems that it doesn't support quicklist. Not sure about XFCE.
Attachments
pmlinux.jpg
pmlinux.jpg (16.13 KiB) Viewed 3669 times

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-02-12, 02:22

I don't use the Cinnamon (in Mint) or the Unity (in Ubuntu) desktop environments. I remember I had the Pale Moon colorless button "one" time in both Mint and SolydX when I first installed linux Pale Moon, but like you, it disappeared. This happened when I enabled the Menu Bar. If I disable the Menu Bar, the colorless Pale Moon button doesn't come back. BTW, I do have Tabs on Top.

I don't have the Pale Moon launcher on the Taskbar of either Mint or SolydX. I open Pale Moon via the executable file from the extracted tarball.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-02-12, 05:32

@vayth, please attach /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop . Ubuntu seems to be shipping its own copy that enables the quicklist.

vayth

Unread post by vayth » 2014-02-12, 23:56

Here it is.
Attachments
firefox.desktop.tar.gz
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-02-13, 03:51

Save this as /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Pale Moon Web Browser
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
GenericName=Web Browser
Keywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer
Exec=palemoon %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=/opt/palemoon/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/chrome;video/webm;application/x-xpinstall;
StartupNotify=true
Actions=NewWindow;NewPrivateWindow;

[Desktop Action NewWindow]
Name=Open a New Window
Exec=palemoon -new-window
OnlyShowIn=Unity;

[Desktop Action NewPrivateWindow]
Name=Open a New Private Window
Exec=palemoon -private-window
OnlyShowIn=Unity; 

vayth

Unread post by vayth » 2014-04-03, 16:46

sorry for reviving this thread again, but somehow the quicklist disappears again...

I was having a problem with PM ( http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 478#p23478 ), but after using a new profile, it's solved.
But I just realized that the quicklist is gone, the .desktop file is reverted back to normal.

Well, actually, I didn't create a new profile. I deleted all files except the folders in my profile folder. I didn't really remember what happened next, but I remember having opened Firefox, and then PM, then suddenly a notification appeared saying that firefox wanted to install/fix something in PM. After that PM was back to the fresh state, like a new profile, leaving only bookmarks and Lastpass extension (other extensions are gone).

But after I edited the .desktop files, the quicklist doesn't appear this time.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-04, 05:52

vayth wrote:Well, actually, I didn't create a new profile. I deleted all files except the folders in my profile folder.
What did you exactly do?
If you removed the profiles.ini file in ~/.moonchild productions then PM will create a new profile.
I didn't really remember what happened next, but I remember having opened Firefox, and then PM, then suddenly a notification appeared saying that firefox wanted to install/fix something in PM.
Please give some details. And why would FF ask for modifying things in PM? Unless you can post screenshots or other evidence, I cannot help you.
But after I edited the .desktop files, the quicklist doesn't appear this time.
Please restart your system and see if it appears. Also, if cairo-dock caches the quicklist in some file/folder try deleting it.

vayth

Unread post by vayth » 2014-04-04, 09:08

access2godzilla wrote: What did you exactly do?
If you removed the profiles.ini file in ~/.moonchild productions then PM will create a new profile.
No, I removed the profile folder, not the .ini file because I forgot how to create a new profile. That gave error, of course, so I restored the folder, then just delete all file inside it except the folders (chrome, extensions, icons,indexedDB, etc.). No avail, I guess that's expected. But I really didn't do anything to the .ini file.
I then opened Firefox to look for how to create new profile, or reset firefox. Still at homepage ( I hadn't browsed anything), I opened PM.

This is where I'm not sure since PM and FF look alike. But if I remember correctly, FF suddenly asked me to install something, some kind of add-on. And after that, I remember I got a confirmation on PM. I remembered it asking me with FF logo, but the text was about Palemoon.

After that, PM was reset, or new profile, I'm not sure. But my bookmarks and one add-on, LastPass, stay at the new profile. Other extensions are removed, but it seems that their configuration stay (the whitelist sites in NoScript and ABP filter stay like before). I looked at the profile folder, it's still the same, so I think this is the same old profile that just got reset. I think the configuration stays because I didn't remove extensions folder.

Sorry if that sounds weird... :roll:
access2godzilla wrote: Please give some details. And why would FF ask for modifying things in PM? Unless you can post screenshots or other evidence, I cannot help you.
Sorry, I didn't get to screenshot it, because I thought everything was fine.. :roll:
access2godzilla wrote: Please restart your system and see if it appears. Also, if cairo-dock caches the quicklist in some file/folder try deleting it.
I've tried it, restarted my DE, restarted my laptop, quit/reinstall cairo, but still haven't succeed.

Hmm.. Or is it just my laptop messed up? A little off topic, but yesterday (the first time after this PM "incident") I can't update my repository. Today I still haven't managed to update it (today I got Has Sum Mismatch, I don't remember yesterday's error, but it's different). I didn't do anything that change my settings, since I need to work on Windows lately and haven't logged on Linux for a while. I doubt this has anything to do with the PM problem, but I'll just say it just in case.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-04, 10:30

vayth wrote:No, I removed the profile folder, not the .ini file because I forgot how to create a new profile. That gave error, of course, so I restored the folder, then just delete all file inside it except the folders (chrome, extensions, icons,indexedDB, etc.).
No wonder PM is behaving so erratically. I suggest that you remove the whole "~/.moonchild productions" directory and begin afresh. Deleting files like that isn't the best idea.

For Lastpass to appear on fresh profiles is normal as it is installed as a globally for all users.
access2godzilla wrote:I've tried it, restarted my DE, restarted my laptop, quit/reinstall cairo, but still haven't succeed.
Try saving the above posted code to PM's .desktop file once more. BTW, the disappearance of the quicklist is not related to any issues with the profiles.
I can't update my repository.
It's unrelated with the issue being discussed in this thread. If you want to discuss this, a Linux board is more appropriate, although you can post in the "General discussion" board if you want to do so.

vayth

Unread post by vayth » 2014-04-04, 11:58

access2godzilla wrote: No wonder PM is behaving so erratically. I suggest that you remove the whole "~/.moonchild productions" directory and begin afresh. Deleting files like that isn't the best idea.
I see.. It's working without trouble now, but I guess I'll do that just to be sure.
access2godzilla wrote:Try saving the above posted code to PM's .desktop file once more. BTW, the disappearance of the quicklist is not related to any issues with the profiles.
I've done that, and it's still not there. Is there any place that control .desktop or quicklist that might be conflicting/overiding with /usr/share/applications?
access2godzilla wrote: It's unrelated with the issue being discussed in this thread. If you want to discuss this, a Linux board is more appropriate, although you can post in the "General discussion" board if you want to do so.
I know, that's why I said it just in case. Don't worry, I won't discuss about it here, just wanted to give you any information which I'm not sure whether it's related or not :)

Actually, I'm not really worried since I'll do a fresh install when Ubuntu Trusty comes out this month. I'm sure everything will be working nicely again then, especially about that broken apt-get. I just want to know what might possibly caused this, so I can fix it if, by any chance, I experience it again after that fresh install.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-04, 12:41

vayth wrote:I've done that, and it's still not there. Is there any place that control .desktop or quicklist that might be conflicting/overiding with /usr/share/applications?
There's ~/.local/share/applications, but I really doubt you have anything there.
Note: If you have set PM to be the default browser you'll find a file named "userapp-Pale Moon-(random characters).desktop", but this is only to create the file and protocol associations, and it does not interfere with the quicklist.
I won't discuss about it here, just wanted to give you any information which I'm not sure whether it's related or not :)
I was just pointing out that this particular board was not appropriate for this. I have no problems if you ask Linux questions not related to PM over private messages or the "General discussion board" :)