Palemoon - the best browser for webgl content?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Palemoon - the best browser for webgl content?

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-01-27, 21:36

Palemoon is the only browser that consistently renders webgl content properly on app.logos.com. Logos is a website that makes scholarly biblical materials readable online, heavily using webgl for its e-reader functionality. I've tried every browser to try to get the material to consistently render properly, and only palemoon has been able to do it. Firefox rarely renders the materials at all, Brave and chromium fail about 25% of the time, and all webkit browsers fail 100% of the time. Palemoon not only renders the material properly, it brings the texts up more quickly and and scrolls smoothly without unduly stressing the cpu.

I appreciate all the amazing work, palemoon is a bright beacon of light and hope in an otherwise depressing desert of copycat browsers.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Palemoon - the best browser for webgl content?

Unread post by van p » 2022-01-30, 00:42

Maybe somebody who knows what 'webgl' is can discuss it in relation to Pale Moon and answer your question, but given that the website allows you to do absolutely nothing unless you have an account and are signed in, it may not be reasonable to expect a lot of responses to your post, hence, no responses yet.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-30, 02:35

van p wrote:
2022-01-30, 00:42
answer your question
What question? He's just praising Pale Moon for working well with WebGL on that website compared to other browsers. The subject notwithstanding.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-01-30, 03:11

van p wrote:
Maybe somebody who knows what 'webgl' is can discuss it in relation to Pale Moon and answer your question, but given that the website allows you to do absolutely nothing unless you have an account and are signed in, it may not be reasonable to expect a lot of responses to your post, hence, no responses yet.
It was just a rhetorical question. More of an observation. No need for anyone to sign up for an account and test it and respond. As far as I can tell, palemoon handles this type of content better than any other browser.

Works fantastic with Amazon's online Kindle reader too, even though Amazon tries to make it impossible to use Kindle reader with palemoon (which seems a bit evil) - but this is overcome by setting a Chrome or Firefox site-specific user agent with palemoon's User Agent Status add-on. Kindle doesn't seem to rely on webgl like Logos though, just javascript from what I can tell.

Really quite evil of Amazon to try to disallow palemoon from rendering it based simply on the user agent. If the browser is quite capable of rendering the content, which palemoon is, Amazon should not create any artificial barriers. I could see some enterprising young trial lawyer bringing a class action on behalf of palemoon and all the other non-chromium/firefox/safari browsers that Amazon is discriminating against based on user agents. That's got to be costing moonchild a little bit of money - Kindle online is a popular site.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-30, 04:05

andyprough wrote:
2022-01-30, 03:11
Really quite evil of Amazon to try to disallow palemoon from rendering it based simply on the user agent.
They're not deliberately targeting Pale Moon, it's just lazy relying on the user agent which isn't a reliable way to detect the browser. You can thank Google for the current situation where websites recognize nothing other than Chrome and ChromeZilla.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

juxwillx

Unread post by juxwillx » 2022-02-18, 06:22

van p wrote:
i disagree man. what's wrong if he says its the best with webgl, your point doesn't make sense.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-02-18, 06:42

juxwillx wrote:
2022-02-18, 06:22
your point doesn't make sense.
He's saying that a site that requires you to login with an account to use it isn't the best example when demonstrating great support for WebGL. Some other website that also uses it, doesn't need you to sign in and runs great would be a better example.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-02-18, 22:24

I don't see the point in this kind of nitpicking when someone just relays their positive experiences with a certain type of content (that you can find in many places elsewhere too, so if you want to see it for yourself, why don't you search for it?)

If you don't want to see that one particular example because it requires a log-in, then use your fav. search engine to find any of the many easily available WebGL demos out there, instead of complaining at the OP.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

victor11

Unread post by victor11 » 2022-03-02, 06:32

Exactly! People just have a problem with anything and everything