Latest Pale Moon won't install Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MoonPower

Latest Pale Moon won't install

Unread post by MoonPower » 2021-11-22, 08:22

I've been having trouble getting Bitchute to download videos for the last week or so. Previous to that I'd been using Bitchute with PM without issues. Bitchute works fine on Firefox, so I thought maybe something was messed up with PM on my computer (PM still worked okay with everything else). Just to check, I tried downloading the latest version of PM (which I thought I was already using). The download went well, but when I attempted to install the browser I got a pop-up that it couldn't be installed because I "need Windows 7". I HAVE Windows 7 already, with all the latest service packs. I've been using it for years. Waddup widdis?

Many thanx.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Latest Pale Moon won't install

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-22, 08:30

Your user agent's system info when posting on the forum states that you are on Windows NT 5.1 -- That's Windows XP, not 7.
If you are -actually- on Windows 7 and haven't spoofed the user agent, then there's something very wrong with your O.S. :?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

MoonPower

Unread post by MoonPower » 2021-11-23, 01:14

I don't even have XP on this computer. Windows 7 Professional is the only OS that this computer has ever used.
Everything--including Pale Moon updates--was working fine until about a week ago. Everything but PM still does. The only reason I tried downloading the latest PM update at all was because the browser stopped working with Bitchute. How in the world would the "user agent's system" get the idea that I'm using XP?

Again, many thanx with helping me untangle this.

UPDATE! On a hunch, I tried downloading the 64-bit PM installer instead of the 32-bit. (I'd thought this system was operating at 32 bit.) That download and installation went fine. BUT... Bitchute still won't work with PM anymore. Firefox and the Tor browsers both load Bitchute w/ no problems.

So, I'm back to square one.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-11-23, 01:54

MoonPower wrote:
2021-11-23, 01:14
Bitchute...
See this thread.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-23, 04:48

MoonPower wrote:
Everything--including Pale Moon updates--was working fine until about a week ago.
So what did you do a week ago?

I'm just reporting that, by the looks of it, your system is reporting a Windows XP kernel version to the browser (and that gets passed on in the user agent string (browser identification) to websites you visit. And apparently that same thing happens when you run the installer since it does an operating system version check to make sure it's not installed on an incompatible system.

Did you perhaps enable and change application compatibility mode in the program's properties? If you directly launched the installer from the browser then that might have inherited the compatibility environment, too.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

MoonPower

Unread post by MoonPower » 2021-11-27, 10:13

Moonchild wrote:
2021-11-23, 04:48
MoonPower wrote:
Everything--including Pale Moon updates--was working fine until about a week ago.
So what did you do a week ago?
Nothing. That's my point. No changes were made at that time.
I'm just reporting that, by the looks of it, your system is reporting a Windows XP kernel version to the browser (and that gets passed on in the user agent string (browser identification) to websites you visit. And apparently that same thing happens when you run the installer since it does an operating system version check to make sure it's not installed on an incompatible system.
I got around the PM browser issue by downloading and installing the 64-bit version of PM. That's no longer an issue. PM working with Bitchute is the issue. Would a Windows XP kernel version work with a 64-bit browser? (Just asking.)

Whatever it is, the Bitchute problem occurs with Pale Moon only. IE, Firefox, and (now that I've downloaded it) Brave work with Bitchute just fine. I'll try that link that coffeebreak gave.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-27, 12:43

MoonPower wrote:
2021-11-27, 10:13
Nothing. That's my point. No changes were made at that time.
Computers and software are very predictable machines when they work as they should. Nothing "just happens".
I'm just chalking this up for now to setting wrong compatibility, either directly or indirectly, as that would be the only thing I can think of that -might- cause something like this, whether it was done deliberately or by accident or through some other software launching programs...

I don't know what else to yell you about the installation/ID issue. We've not seen this before and it's not a known or predictable problem, and if you can't reproduce it, then... :|
If it's solved then it's solved.

Please go to the other thread to discuss bitchute problems.