Issue with Controlling Window in Palemoon 29.4.0

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Sparky72

Issue with Controlling Window in Palemoon 29.4.0

Unread post by Sparky72 » 2021-08-18, 11:24

Hi, recently I have inadvertently opened a second 'controlling Window' in Palemoon and seem unable to close it

I use FEBE for daily session backups, but this won't work as it's telling me that it can only work from the othe window!

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Palemoon and restored from a much earlier backup, all to no avail.

Is there an easy way to close one of these windows?

Is there a setting in About:config that would correct this?

Kind Regards

Bob

bolekb
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: Issue with Controlling Window in Palemoon 29.4.0

Unread post by bolekb » 2021-08-18, 13:10

I use FEBE as well. During the investigation mentioned in https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27261#p219237, I have noticed that the same error is reported for FEBE as well ("Application is not defined").

bolekb
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by bolekb » 2021-08-18, 19:37

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-08-18, 14:18
THIS IS AN AUTHORITATIVE ANSWER TO ISSUES AT HAND. PLEASE REFERENCE IT IN OTHER THREADS!

We have identified that this and any other busted extension that cites Application as not being defined this release was because we removed the ancient first generation Mozilla attempt, called FUEL, to make extensions "easier" to code. While we have had a deprecation message emitted for any consumers for some time.. Obviously some did not get the message.

The reason it isn't defined in extension code nor the browser core is because FUEL was defined globally by its self in a way rarely seen that did NOT need initialization directly like most XPCOM JS Components. As a consequence of this, we missed a few aberrant uses in the browser core as well. As such we are going to to make an out-of-band release which will restore the FUEL component for the time being. However, extension developers should take notice and start work on updating their extensions to standard toolkit methods because the restoration will be short lived.

Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Quorx » 2021-08-23, 08:46

There is a FEBE forum still alive, with an subdivision dedicated to Palemoon ...which is actually the most crowded area there. ;)
http://www.customsoftwareconsult.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-08-23, 11:56

Quorx wrote:
2021-08-23, 08:46
FEBE forum still alive
No, it's on a read-only basis. It's not possible to register or make new posts.

Someone did report the issue with FEBE / FUEL removal on his alternate forum (Mozillazine).
He replied that he does not plan to fix this because he has retired from maintaining his extensions due to medical reasons, and suggested that it should be forked.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-23, 12:08

Forking it isn't gonna be a simple fork and run situation as there are other changes eventually coming down the pipeline that will additionally affect this extension.