Using about:config to Block Websites From Seeing Installed Extensions

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Using about:config to Block Websites From Seeing Installed Extensions

Unread post by kla87 » 2021-07-30, 19:55

Is there a setting for this?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Using about:config to Block Websites From Seeing Installed Extensions

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-30, 21:27

Websites cannot enumerate or "see" what extensions you have installed. They can only guess based on observed behaviour.
Please provide more details about your situation and in what way you think websites can see what extensions you have installed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

kla87
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by kla87 » 2021-07-30, 21:52

I apologize. The last time I hardened a browser I came across an about:config setting that I was sure had to do with this. It seems I might have confused it with something similar. I did not mean to make a post that might grab some people's attention unrightly. Any mod, please feel free to delete the thread. Again, apologies.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-30, 22:38

We don't accomidate misinformed or otherwise ignorant privacy nutbars here. Please discontinue THESE types of time wasting and irrelevant posts at once.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-31, 10:41

If you don't know what you're doing and are just following "what someone posted on the internet to harden your browser" or are guessing what something does by the name of the preference, then you should not be doing anything in about:config to begin with.
Note the warning about dragons. It's there for a reason.
Off-topic:
Tobin: calm down. It was a legit question/concern from someone uninformed -- my answer informed them and they are more knowledgeable now as a result. Is that not what you want, also?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-07-31, 11:00

DO NOT fuck around with 'hardening' guides that are written for Firefox. Palemoon is not Firefox and you will only mess up your profile by applying settings that don't apply here.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX