Lost Downloader Helper with Update

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
JoelAustralia

Lost Downloader Helper with Update

Unread post by JoelAustralia » 2021-05-18, 01:00

Is there a Download Helper Version Compatible with the latest Pale Moon. This always proves to be an issue so much so I have disabled auto update but I get caught every time I get notified of an update while im typing and its defaulted to accept when it pops up so it updates me simply because im typeing when I really didnt want to be updated. Got caught with this again last night and in turn lost my downloader helper as a result. If one is not available is there any way to go back to the older version of Pale Moon without loosing all my settings addons and bookmarks? Thanks

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Lost Downloader Helper with Update

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 03:24

Want to explain what you are talking about?

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-05-18, 03:32

JoelAustralia wrote:
2021-05-18, 01:00
Is there a Download Helper Version Compatible with the latest Pale Moon.
You mean something to download files faster or in place of a specific addon?

Depending on your response, someone could help you...

It was hard to follow what you said at first.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 05:07

Well I wanted THEM to answer not have you stick your nose into it. I suspect they want Video Download Helper and are trying to avoid me calling them a criminal.

JoelAustralia

Unread post by JoelAustralia » 2021-05-18, 14:11

WiseWolf wrote:
2021-05-18, 03:32
JoelAustralia wrote:
2021-05-18, 01:00
Is there a Download Helper Version Compatible with the latest Pale Moon.
You mean something to download files faster or in place of a specific addon?

Depending on your response, someone could help you...

It was hard to follow what you said at first.
Its actually is a specific addon called "Downloader Helper". I had version 6.3.1 installed with the previous version of Pale Moon but its now currently disabled stating it is incompatible with the current version.

Part of the issue is that I didnt really want to update Pale Moon as things like this tend occur but if you are typing something when the update popup window appears it takes your typing as an acceptance of the update with no option to cancel. So you get updated without actually wanting too. Unfortunately the latest accidental update then subsequently disabled the version of Downloader Helper that I have. Hence was asking if there was one that would work with the current version of Pale Moon. Thanks for any assistance.

JoelAustralia

Unread post by JoelAustralia » 2021-05-18, 14:24

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-18, 05:07
Well I wanted THEM to answer not have you stick your nose into it. I suspect they want Video Download Helper and are trying to avoid me calling them a criminal.
Im sorry im not sure I understand?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-18, 14:55

JoelAustralia wrote:
2021-05-18, 14:24
He thought you meant Video Download Helper, which is used mainly to illegally download Youtube videos and were deliberately leaving out the 'Video' from the name to avoid getting flamed.

If you want a download manager, there's GetEmAll, forked from DownThemAll, which used to be the most popular download manager on Firefox in its time.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

JoelAustralia

Unread post by JoelAustralia » 2021-05-18, 15:26

moonbat wrote:
2021-05-18, 14:55
JoelAustralia wrote:
2021-05-18, 14:24
He thought you meant Video Download Helper, which is used mainly to illegally download Youtube videos and were deliberately leaving out the 'Video' from the name to avoid getting flamed.

If you want a download manager, there's GetEmAll, forked from DownThemAll, which used to be the most popular download manager on Firefox in its time.
It is the addon that I meant but I didnt know there were legality issues in using it? It was just an addon that I found on Firefox own addon page back in the day and found it useful. When they gave their Browser a more Chrome look I discovered Pale Moon had the much nicer classic style that I can understand better with my limited computer skills so I switched and that addon was compatible up till now. Download Helper just facilitated the download of videos from forums that I use from friends that have posted. I always found it useful in eradicating perspective issues with videos posted through some mobile phone aps. It always worked in a very simplistic way that I understood. Before posting I even saw other discussions for earlier versions so there was no suggestion it was a taboo subject. If its use somehow will generate some animosity by some then it was not my intent. I just found it a useful tool and thought I would keep using it. I apologize for posting then, as I had no idea it was even remotely a divisive product up till now.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 16:11

So Video Download Helper as I suspected, criminal.

JoelAustralia

Unread post by JoelAustralia » 2021-05-18, 16:16

That other problem aside, Im guessing also that reverting back to an older version of Pale Moon like my previous 28.17.0 is something that creates complications? For Example Will the save profile backup tool allow restoration on an older version or is it only forward compatible? Thanks again, sorry for my utter lack of knowledge on these things.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 16:22

http://developer.palemoon.org/docs/profile-migration/

Though, I have a tough time accepting that you are going to corrupt your profile and use an old and insecure version merely to be a thief. Of course you already deceptively omitted PART of the extension's name in a futile effort to obscure what you KNEW was a problem extension and subject on this forum in the hope someone would give you what you want. The ability to steal more intellectual property. So deceptive AND a thief.. Though you're rather dim aren't you?

JoelAustralia

Unread post by JoelAustralia » 2021-05-18, 17:16

2021-05-18, 16:22
http://developer.palemoon.org/docs/profile-migration/

Though, I have a tough time accepting that you are going to corrupt your profile and use an old and insecure version merely to be a thief. Of course you already deceptively omitted PART of the extension's name in a futile effort to obscure what you KNEW was a problem extension and subject on this forum in the hope someone would give you what you want. The ability to steal more intellectual property. So deceptive AND a thief.. Though you're rather dim aren't you?
Your accusations are both false and nasty. I certainly don't have need to copy cat videos or the likes from that site for which you seem to assume. I dont even visit youtube much at all or whatever site you are referring. One wouldnt even need to copy things from them as they are there to always view unless im missing something about them? My use of the tool is for the simplicity of seeing videos directed at me people have asked me to comment on while fixing their classic cars etc or show me things on their cars if I have a question. Im sorry if not a bit bewildered you get offended by the way in which I am comfortable in viewing those explanatory videos with an addon which Firefox themselves adds to their lineup. Incidentally the older version of PM worked with Ebays zoom feature another tool I found useful but that too stopped working with an update which I thought would be nice to have back. I thought this was a forum to seek help in the spirit of community but in almost every thread I have read you badger or insult people. That seems in total opposition to the generous concepts on which Pale Moon was founded. Having risen to your bait I will leave permanently which was probably your intent but Im guessing im not the first but just another notch on your wall you have driven away.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 17:28

JoelAustralia wrote:
2021-05-18, 17:16
Incidentally the older version of PM worked with Ebays zoom feature another tool I found useful but that too stopped working with an update which I thought would be nice to have back.
Well that is just patently false as Ebay changed something and even SeaMonkey is affected and they are using a newer Mozilla codebase than what UXP was orginally forked from and it happened mid-stream between releases. So much for that false accusation.

If a website or service wanted you to be allowed to easily download videos they would OFFER some sort of link or download button for the video. So unless you have explicit rights granted for whatever it is you are making copies of then you simply not entitled to do it. So quit lying. You're a thief, embrace it. Others have. Seems the only one here that is really offended is you. I am simply calling you out for what and who you are. A criminal and a liar.. and a not very smart one at that.

Regardless, you made a choice to come here begging for tools to grab content you don't own and save it to your hard drive and/or redistribute it and specifically omitted the full name of the extension. On top of that you couldn't even post in the correct board AFTER the entire forum structure was greatly simplified. Actions sometimes have consequences. Sometimes.

As an aside, there is this interesting thing called paragraphs. I suggest you use them.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-05-19, 05:27

2021-05-18, 05:07
I actually didn't reply to you directly, but that aside, I apologize for sticking my nose in it. I thought it would be helpful to get the person to respond in a way that made sense. Thus I tried to clarify...

It seems you were right in your response here though.