youtube.com lag, and a few other video sites, odysee.com too ... but it could just be me

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
synthesizer_joe
Moongazer
Moongazer

youtube.com lag, and a few other video sites, odysee.com too ... but it could just be me

Unread post by synthesizer_joe » 2021-05-02, 10:08

Moderator note: Moved to Linux support since system hangs are more likely systemic.

Getting a lot of lag using youtube, especially loading comments, adding videos to the queue, opening any page lags for 20 seconds causing a near-total system-wide freeze and I've had a one or two total crashes. It's not just the page taking time to load, it lags my entire computer.
Using linux, lubuntu, I'm not running anything too weird add-on's wise; only ublock origin.
Also experiencing similar, but less, lag using odysee but palemoon works fine with bitchute and dailymotion and firefox doesn't lag anywhere near as badly on the same sites.

My computer is pretty old but it can still hold it's own and handle most things I want to do with it so while I could definitely benefit from a newer machine, it was fine untill a week or two ago. Tried updating palemoon, no joy.
Any insights on this?

WiseWolf

Re: youtube.com lag, and a few other video sites, odysee.com too ... but it could just be me

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-05-02, 15:11

I am actually curious, but how old is your computer?

What gen intel or amd processor?
how much ram does your laptop have?
And what year was it from?

I have a 2008 laptop x200 libreboot that works with palemoon and even basilisk-browser or that bloated firefox.

So I imagine, your laptop might be even older or not have a dual core, etc...

Aka, info helps!

synthesizer_joe
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: youtube.com lag, and a few other video sites, odysee.com too ... but it could just be me

Unread post by synthesizer_joe » 2021-05-02, 15:29

Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz
Memory : 3957MB (678MB used)
Operating System : Ubuntu 16.X.X
I think it's from 2007.
It's not a laptop, it's an old tower I scavenged from my work. Used to be a computer used in industrial electronics, but it's not a rack mounted thing, it's a standard tower PC, just specialized for industry.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-02, 17:04

Old Laptops suffer from thermal damage over time as a sort of built in obsolescence. Even a three year old laptop won't run as efficiently or correctly even if no other factors like insane amounts of javascript or hundreds of DOM reevaluations a second had changed.

Laptops like tablets and cellular telephones are throwaway elecronics and have been since the mid 2000s. That and the world we live in demands current year shit at the outside.

Desktops with properly selected components and decent ventilation plus cleaning have a optimum service life of no more than five years. Then the hardware starts showing its age. However prebuilt OEM ones are more like 2 years.

Still too long for the You as a Service industry. Which in part helps to explains why proper computers are on the decline.

synthesizer_joe
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by synthesizer_joe » 2021-05-02, 17:35

thought I posted a reply but it didn't seem to get through

Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz
Memory : 3957MB (710MB used)
Operating System : Ubuntu 16.x.x

I think it's from 2007 and it's a tower PC not a laptop, I scavenged it from work, it is intended for use in industrial electronics.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-05-03, 03:01

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=26762
I noticed YouTube problems appearing recently too, and not only with Pale Moon.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

smoki

Unread post by smoki » 2021-05-04, 13:16

opening any page lags for 20 seconds causing a near-total system-wide freeze
I got exactly that too, couple months ago, but then i started a new profile. I actually deleted ".moonchild productions" folder, started new and such issue disappeared... one CPU core was constantly occupied for about even 30 seconds everytime.
Not sure what triggered that slowdown, i guess something screwed it up on update or something :coffee:

But in general, that old YT interface was much faster. New one seems just more laggy anyway... and they could change something even without notice there, so :lol:

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-05-04, 14:46

I use puppy linux which uses a layered filing system and i too was suffering with system wide freezes on some sites and i cured it by changing the location of the palemoon folder to the mnt/home location.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

synthesizer_joe
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by synthesizer_joe » 2021-05-05, 15:59

smoki wrote:
2021-05-04, 13:16
started a new profile. I actually deleted ".moonchild productions" folder, started new
Tried that, made no difference, explain your procedure so I know if I got it right.
Moonraker wrote:
2021-05-04, 14:46
cured it by changing the location of the palemoon folder to the mnt/home location.
Haven't tried this yet, will I need to do anything else or can I just move the palemoon folder there? I assume certain file paths might break?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-05-05, 16:49

synthesizer_joe wrote:
2021-05-05, 15:59
smoki wrote:
2021-05-04, 13:16
started a new profile. I actually deleted ".moonchild productions" folder, started new
Tried that, made no difference, explain your procedure so I know if I got it right.
Moonraker wrote:
2021-05-04, 14:46
cured it by changing the location of the palemoon folder to the mnt/home location.
Haven't tried this yet, will I need to do anything else or can I just move the palemoon folder there? I assume certain file paths might break?
not sure it will work with ubuntu.I was giving an example of a method i used to cure it.puppy runs at the root level itself but i run palemoon as "spot" which is a non root file layer.,.i have to run the browser at a different layer than the filesystem.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

synthesizer_joe
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by synthesizer_joe » 2021-05-05, 17:00

ah got ya, thanks. how would one check what level a program is running at?