Browser Freezes Every Few Seconds For A Few Seconds No Idea Why

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
DJboutit
Banned user
Banned user

Browser Freezes Every Few Seconds For A Few Seconds No Idea Why

Unread post by DJboutit » 2021-05-03, 22:21

My browser freezes every 15 to 20 seconds for like 10 to 15 seconds this is so got dang annoying. I am using the newest version of the browser I normally have 36 to 40 tabs open and I am only running 2 addons currently Ublock and Greasemonkey. Anybody have any ideas how to keep my browser from freezing every few seconds I think it could be 1 or 2 tabs I have open could be causing the problem maybe Facebook??

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Browser Freezes Every Few Seconds For A Few Seconds No Idea Why

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-04, 00:15

"greasemonkey" can cause all sorts of issues depending on which scripts you are running so "only 2 addons" well.. one of them could be running all sorts of stuff ;-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-05-04, 00:17

Having 36 to 40 tabs open all the time will slow down a browser. Especially if one of the tabs is Facebook because Facebook has a lot of "stuff" running in the background.

Also, not having enough memory will also come into play with so many tabs open with each tab running who knows what in the background. Lets also mention having a slow processor speed. That will also come into play. And lets not forget having a slow internet speed from your ISP.

Make a long short. Many things in conjunction with one another will have an affect on any browser.

To give you an example. When I'm doing research, I usually have 4 tabs open. When I'm done, I close 3 of those tabs. This old desktop tower computer I'm using is now eleven years old. But it came with 64 bit Windows 7, an Intel i7 processor with a processor speed of 2.80 and it has 16 GB of memory in it.

My ISP is Comcast. Even though I live in a small rural town in southeast Texas, my Internet download speed is 324 Mbps. Not too shabby for living out in the piney woods. And I don't have any freezing problems running 64 bit linux Pale Moon 29.2.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 20.1 (Ulyssa) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2021-05-04, 04:59

I had this problem with Pale Moon v29.1.1, but since I installed v29.2.0, it seems to have disappeared.
I'm using the exact same extensions as before.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-04, 05:11

Well we always try and improve things.. Problem with a sprawling codebase is that it is so huge but we are always continuing to slim it down so maybe some of that is making it better or it could be something as simple as rejiggering stuff.

Either way, let us know if it becomes less responsive again in the future. Till next time you damned tomato bastard. ;)

shevy

Unread post by shevy » 2021-05-06, 15:51

I think I am also noticing this. It's not a huge issue for me, and it does not happen that
frequently either, but sometimes palemoon seems to have a "hiccup" where it does
not do much.

I notice this usually related to playing videos at youtube, so I think it is somehow
connected to a heavy load; and perhaps javascript. Unfortunately I am not sure how
to discover the issue more reliably so. I tend to have quite many tabs too, like
+30 open right now. And I am heavily multitasking on my linux system, which makes
this hard to narrow down. But I am very certain that this is related to playing videos
in general. I don't have these "hiccups" anywhere near as oftne as when some tabs
have paused videos and what not. Sorry to be unable to give a better description,,
it is not absolutely clear to me how or when the "hiccups" happen.

shevy

Unread post by shevy » 2021-05-06, 15:53

Ah, facebook was mentioned, and that reminds me of both gmail and youtube too. I am noticing
that the "big" pages cause more and more issues. They are so unreasonably slow. The main
explanation I can "come up" with is something related to javascript. But it's not easy to see
what exactly is causing an issue; I don't see facebook or gmail doing anything magical. I
use another email provider too, via a web-interface, and that one loads up almost instantly,
whereas gmail takes perhaps 10 seconds or something. Hard for me to not want to trust
them when they claim they don't have code in place discriminating against some browsers. :P

The Squash
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by The Squash » 2021-05-06, 23:27

Off-topic:
I guess I'm a little impatient, but after seeing several instances of people posting and not coming back afterward, I do have to wonder: Will the OP ever come back to tell us more about the problem, like what kinds of tabs they have open and their system specs? :?:

In some ways, I sometimes wonder if the board should automatically email the OP about replies after the OP hasn't logged in for several days. I don't log in infrequently, so I wouldn't know if the board already does that. I guess I'm just still a newbie here.
HANG-INDUCING ORPHANED ZOMBIE GARBAGE
In theaters now -- Rated R

(Thanks @[PCMartin], great title for a movie!)

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-08, 01:24

xjxyz wrote:
2021-05-06, 23:27
Off-topic:
I guess I'm a little impatient, but after seeing several instances of people posting and not coming back afterward, I do have to wonder: Will the OP ever come back to tell us more about the problem, like what kinds of tabs they have open and their system specs? :?:

In some ways, I sometimes wonder if the board should automatically email the OP about replies after the OP hasn't logged in for several days. I don't log in infrequently, so I wouldn't know if the board already does that. I guess I'm just still a newbie here.
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the setting for getting email notifications of replies is OFF by default. If users are like me, they may neglect to go through every setting in their account profile and may overlook this particular one. And the same type of user is likely to overlook the notification checkbox at the bottom of every individual thread they start or participate in. Anyway, that's my theory, based on somewhat embarrassing personal experience. (But hey, at least I usually pinned the tabs of "pending" threads or looked them up from time to time in history. Usually.)

You know, I really should have trademarked "Hang-Inducing Orphaned Zombie Garbage," but wouldn't you know it, YouTube beat me to the punch. Clearly, though, they have the better claim. ;)