Swabby [Releases/Support]

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Swabby [Releases/Support]

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-11, 12:50

Swabby is a fork of PlacesCleaner for Pale Moon and Basilisk.
This was initially forked as "Places Maintenance" but I did not realise it conflicted with a Firefox extension of the same name, so re-branded it to "Swabby"

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/swabby/

If you installed the previous one, please uninstall it and install Swabby. It will not "upgrade" as I re-did it from scratch to prevent confusion in internal naming schemes and potential chrome registration conflicts.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Swabby [Releases/Support]

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-04-11, 19:21

I went to the repo to create a new pull request for Swabby, but the "New Pull Request" button isn't working. Is it because I just created a new account on the repo?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-11, 20:07

Why did you want to make a PR first thing? What's wrong?
As for the repo... should be possible to make a PR if you verified your account. Did you fork the repo first?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-04-11, 20:36

Moonchild wrote:
2021-04-11, 20:07
Why did you want to make a PR first thing? What's wrong?
This:
ron_1 wrote:
is the status bar icon movable? I tried the usual way (open Customize Toolbar, and tried to drag the icon) but it didn't move. If it's not movable, is there anyway it can be made movable (feature request)?

Moonchild wrote:
I'm not sure if it's movable as it's not a standard status bar item from my understanding. I can see if I can make it movable but not sure. please open an issue on the repo so I can investigate.
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=26568#p212685
Moonchild wrote:
2021-04-11, 20:07
As for the repo... should be possible to make a PR if you verified your account. Did you fork the repo first?
I did verify the account (otherwise I wouldn't have been logged in, right?); don't understand what you mean by forking the repo first.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-11, 23:38

issue = issue, not a pull request.
Pull request means you have code you want to merge. To do that you'd have to fork the repo into your account first, then make code changes and then create a pull request to request that those code changes be incorporated in the original repo.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-04-11, 23:43

Moonchild wrote:
2021-04-11, 23:38
issue = issue, not a pull request.
Ah, thanks. I'm new to this as you can see. "Issue" made. Thanks again. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-12, 12:59

Swabby updated to v1.1.1

This fixes use on Basilisk that would error out previously because of a defunct notification bug check.

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2021-04-14, 07:39

I am a little confused. This lets you clear history in a more refined way (date, visit count...), but without being able to specify what kind of data will be cleaned, as opposed to the clear history dialogue?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-14, 10:08

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2021-04-14, 07:39
without being able to specify what kind of data will be cleaned
History will be cleared.
LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2021-04-14, 07:39
as opposed to the clear history dialogue?
which dialog are you talking about?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-14, 11:16

My guess is the sanitize dialog.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-14, 13:45

The extension only deals with "Browsing and download history" which is by far the biggest contributor to the places database size.

Actually, what it does is the following:
  1. The extension first cleans up the places table (master table with history) according to the parameters set. This is "browsing and download history" or rather all recorded visits. It will skip bookmarked sites from being removed from that table.
  2. It will then check the form input history against the places table and cleans up any form history entries that don't have an associated history or bookmarked site anymore (associations removed).
  3. It will then do the same with favicon entries.
  4. As a bonus it will also clean up google toolbar thumbnails that that toolbar stores in the places database as blobs.
So in short it will remove sites according to your settings and then clean up additional resources from the places database that, as a result, no longer have any associations to known sites.

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2021-04-15, 17:27

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-14, 11:16
My guess is the sanitize dialog.
The "clear recent history" under History dropdown menu. I guess that's the same thing.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-15, 17:44

Yes.