I created a Discord server.

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
FarlanderCraft

I created a Discord server.

Unread post by FarlanderCraft » 2021-03-17, 11:49

It's not much, but I made a Discord server for Pale Moon appreciation and just stuff I guess lol .

https://discord.gg/ZP6THBFzYk

I don't have much set up yet, but I always appreciate being guided by a community when making a place for a community.
I don't feel like it's up to me to make all that many calls on it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: I created a Discord server.

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-17, 12:09

Why?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-17, 12:31

Fuck Discord and all centralized proprietary services. If you want to chat there's already #binaryoutcast on Freenode. (IRC, for those who were in their diapers this century).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-17, 12:45

I'm OK with it. It's accessible to a portion of users for whom IRC is simply too high a threshold, and if it's a community effort for something *I* sure as hell don't have time for, then I don't see why not.
If it ever becomes censored by Discord (I doubt it) or an anti-Pale Moon gathering ground a la Reddit then I've got the agreement it'll be shut down, as well.
So... just let it be for now and not kill community effort before it even gets a chance to prove itself.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-18, 00:28

At this point the best reason to proliferate is to prevent squatting the way it has happened on reddit.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-03-18, 15:44

Respectfully, FarlanderCraft, you do realise that no one is going to hang out there who can (for instance) answer common questions people may have about the browser, right?

And I am pretty sure that devs aren't going to be dropping in. So I am somewhat curious as to who this is meant for. How much demand is there for a place to discuss Pale Moon that flies in the face of what much of the Pale Moon community stands for?

There already is an unofficial Pale Moon IRC channel that people hang out in, and (as moonbat pointed out), #binaryoutcast on Freenode is a place that you can go to hang out.

A fair portion of this community is against Discord flat out. I certainly am, since those who made it seem to have done so with the primary purpose of replacing perfectly functional and longstanding IRC, and I also am against it because: 1. it requires joining their service to view a "server" (which are not actually servers, by the way) 2. the privacy problems are alarming, and 3. it uses that ugly UI and design that resembles Google Chrome and latter-day smartphone design.

So I have to say, I am not sure how the Discord server is unlikely to become akin to the Pale Moon sub-Reddit. The tiny, tiny percentage of people who would use it make it ripe for manipulation by those who are against Pale Moon and other UXP projects.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-18, 16:04

I think it is enough if it is made by someone not antagonistic to the project, even if no one uses it at least it can't be used against us.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-18, 16:53

1) Prevent squatting
2) Once more IRC is not very discoverable/accessible to a decent percentage, and we don't HAVE an IRC channel aside from the double-hash one that really is nothing I will ever visit
3) Support requests can easily be forwarded to the forum if nobody is there to answer.
4) Founder seems to be genuinely interested in supporting Pale Moon.

So as stated before i'm OK with it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-04-06, 02:41

Now that Microsoft is buying Discord, what competing service should I plan on shifting my people on to, when the infamous MS neglect and neutering sets in to Discord? Slack perhaps ...

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-06, 03:06

Try Matrix. It's an open-source chat and VOIP protocol, and it has federation. The biggest pro for me is that you can use dedicated clients for it seamlessly, unlike Discord which you have to hack support into the client you want to use.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-06, 03:27

Matrix is just as bad as any of these web-based cloud services and doesn't work properly on UXP at all.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-06, 03:37

Yeah, that's why I use one of their native clients instead, like Spectral. It doesn't use any Electron BS, so it's lightweight (only uses 120 MiB of RAM in my case).

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-04-06, 11:54

Bilbo47 wrote:
2021-04-06, 02:41
Now that Microsoft is buying Discord
How unsurprising.

Maybe they can make it even worse than it already is, and people who currently use Discord who originally used IRC can come running back to IRC.

This might be the only time that I am actually rooting for Microsoft to ruin a particular platform.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-06, 12:17

Tharthan wrote:
2021-04-06, 11:54
This might be the only time that I am actually rooting for Microsoft to ruin a particular platform.
And leave us with what... WhatsApp or Skype?

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-04-06, 13:55

For what purpose ? I used Discord only once, for the annual ADASS conference last year. They'd set up a triple channel (zoom, youtube and discord), one for the presenters, one for the lurkers like me viewing the presentations in real time or recorded, one for announcements, collecting questions and miscellaneous chat (all kept separate from the presentation channels), and it did run smoothly.
Beyond that, looks to me not an interesting tool (I may be old-fashioned, but I prefer fully asynchronous communication, a forum or a mailing list, for a "support community").
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-09, 04:57

Off-topic:
Btw, if you're using Discord out of necessity like me, but want to minimize the usage of RAM as much as possible, I recommend using Ripcord. It's written in Qt like every other sane desktop software should (GTK is also cool, except the Gnome-isms), and doesn't use any Electron crap.

The only disadvantages I could see is that it's not FLOSS (it's shareware, but for an unlimited period if you only use Discord), and that you can't use voice or video AFAIK. If a channel has a Matrix bridge, then you can't see who is talking from Matrix. All of them don't bother me, because you're already using a proprietary platform anyway, I don't use voice or video, and I can always use a Matrix client for Matrix messages (though it can be very annoying if that server doesn't have separate public channels which are not bridged to Matrix).

EDIT: And I almost forgot to mention that using a third-party client like Ripcord violates the Discord ToS. It's very unlikely that Discord will go out of its way to ban users using third-party clients, since they will be losing user share, but be warned.

merry mimas

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-09, 11:17

Discord has no unique identifier so the argument about squatting like the Reddit Shithole is irrelevant. It is still a centralized enemy platform that will get worse as Microsoft moves their people in. See Skype and github.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-21, 03:26

Regarding Microsoft and Discord:
Reuters wrote:Messaging platform Discord Inc has ended deal talks with Microsoft Inc and plans to focus on expanding the business as a standalone company, sources familiar with the matter told Reuters on Tuesday.
Source: https://news.yahoo.com/discord-terminates-buyout-talks-microsoft-172843258.html

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-21, 04:05

Dodged a bullet there, not that Discord is anything wonderful by itself, being part of the general politically correct, cancel happy culture that dominates big tech.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-04-21, 08:47

Off-topic:
But then was a bullet really dodged, unless you are simply talking about things on an "individual company autonomy" level?

It seems as if you are saying:

'Despite having more or less all of the negative elements of [COMPANY X], and having most of the same negative business practices as [COMPANY X], [COMPANY Y] dodged a bullet by not being acquired by [COMPANY X].'

If I am misunderstanding, please correct me, but I would argue that from a free and diverse Web perspective, Microsoft acquiring Discord and then (potentially) fusing it and Skype together, would serve to strengthen evidence that could be used in legal challenges against tech company monopolies/oligopolistic practices.

I honestly fail to see how MIcrosoft acquiring Discord would be an objective loss. The more actually vocally pretending competition stops pretending to compete, the more people's eyes will have to open. We have seen that a company can fight off monopolistic charges to a point so long as they have either fake competition, or straw competition.

In this case, Discord is not vocally pretending (at least, as far as I know), but they would still fall under "straw competition".