[SOLVED] Regarding gtk2 and gtk3 Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

[SOLVED] Regarding gtk2 and gtk3

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-03-02, 19:07

Okay, this is probably a dumb question (and please don't tell me to stop using Linux :) ).

I've been using the gtk2 version of Pale Moon, but when I do a inxi -Fxz terminal command, I see what's pasted below, pertinent part highlighted. So I'm guessing I should have been using the gtk3 version all along??
Host: ron Kernel: 4.9.0-14-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: MATE 1.16.2 (Gtk 3.22.11-1)
Last edited by ron_1 on 2021-03-02, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Regarding gtk2 and gtk3

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-03-02, 19:11

No, you do not.
You can run GTK2 and GTK3 (the toolkits, not the browser) at the same time.
Run whatever you like best.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-03-02, 20:01

Okay, thanks. Tried out the gtk3 version. The only visual difference I noticed was the toolbar drop down menus were wider spaced. Didn't like it so went back to gtk2 version.

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2021-03-03, 13:26

Gtk3 themes tend to add lots of padding and spacing around elements, particularly "menu"-type elements. So it sounds like everything worked; you just don't like the extra gtk3 spacing. A lot of people didn't like Gtk3 for that and similar design reasons.

francesco bat

Re: [SOLVED] Regarding gtk2 and gtk3

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-03-03, 17:15

I also prefer gtk2. After more than 10 years i never liked gtk3.
I think the Gnome developers should have fork the gtk libraries at the time and do their own thing and leave the gtk libraries to gimp as they used to be.
Gtk would: gimp toolkit
but today it looks like: gnome toolkit
:(
Bye
Francesco bat

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2021-03-05, 15:23

ron_1 wrote:
2021-03-02, 20:01
Okay, thanks. Tried out the gtk3 version. The only visual difference I noticed was the toolbar drop down menus were wider spaced. Didn't like it so went back to gtk2 version.
Someone pointed out to me the same thing. I hadn't noticed because I've been using for years the excelent theme Compact Moon.
While modding an add-on this issue popped up and it seems to run deep. The changes I made for a "menu-button"-type toolbar button look fine in GTK3, but there are completely opposed padding issues with both Compact Moon in GTK3 and default theme in GTK2. So far finding a common ground seems impossible.

If you do like a compact-looking theme then maybe Compact Moon is for you. It runs fine with both GTK2 and GTK3.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-03-06, 04:15

Off-topic:
Drugwash wrote:
2021-03-05, 15:23
If you do like a compact-looking theme then maybe Compact Moon is for you.
I don't. :) My themes of choice are Aeromoon, Camimoon (my current theme), Dark Pitch, Fox 2 the Moon, Kempleton Reloaded, Moonfox 3, Tangerinemoon, and Tangomoon. Along with the Pale Moon persona on all of them.

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2021-03-06, 13:02

Off-topic:
ron_1 wrote:
2021-03-06, 04:15
My themes of choice are [...]
That's fine, it's wonderful to have options to choose from. :thumbup:

My only problem with GTK2 is that I don't have a tool to customize it - if something like that exists - therefore the main window and controls on the PM GUI don't line up with the system theme color-wise. I tried using various add-ons such as Theme Builder and ThemeTool in order to change the appearance of the elements but that would lose any customization done by the Compact Moon theme, and building a whole new theme from scratch would've been way too much work so I let it be. The GTK3 version of PM uses the system theme colors and now everything looks alright. :)

francesco bat

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-03-06, 14:21

Drugwash wrote:
2021-03-06, 13:02
Off-topic:
ron_1 wrote:
2021-03-06, 04:15
My themes of choice are [...]
That's fine, it's wonderful to have options to choose from. :thumbup:

My only problem with GTK2 is that I don't have a tool to customize it - if something like that exists - therefore the main window and controls on the PM GUI don't line up with the system theme color-wise. I tried using various add-ons such as Theme Builder and ThemeTool in order to change the appearance of the elements but that would lose any customization done by the Compact Moon theme, and building a whole new theme from scratch would've been way too much work so I let it be. The GTK3 version of PM uses the system theme colors and now everything looks alright. :)
The best thing is to use gtk2 in default.
I use very often dark look and the browsers have always many problems with dark look (gtk2 and gtk3).
I created a script to execute Palemoon in this way (the script is more big and i post only essential) :

Code: Select all

#Raleigh (DEFAULT GTK2) #
GTK2_RC_FILES=/home/francesco/scripts/gtkrc/palemoon_raleigh.gtkrc kdocker -d 15 -m /home/francesco/portable_software/palemoon/palemoon/palemoon -p default

#HOME GTKRC#
# kdocker -d 15 -m /home/francesco/portable_software/palemoon/palemoon/palemoon -p default

In raleigh.gtkrc i have:

Code: Select all

gtk-theme-name = "Raleigh"

#gtk-icon-theme-name = "gnome-icons"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "gnome-alternative"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Crux"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Mist"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Foxtrot"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Gion"
#gtk-icon-theme-name="Neu"

#gtk-icon-theme-name = "aCurve"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Amaranth"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Azenis Icons - gtk"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "black-red-gtk"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "BluecurveRH"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "BlueSphere"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Breathless"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Canta"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "crystalclear"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "crystalgt"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "crystalline-green-0.1"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "crystalsvg"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Dark-Glass_MOD"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Dark System Beta 1.7"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "desktop"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "exquisite"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "fairytaleworld_128"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "GANT_for_KDE_0.3"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "GartoonRedux"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "genuinecrystal"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "ggn"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "gorilla"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Graphite-Rade8-3.1"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "iconmix"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "ikons_kde"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "kdeclassic_kde"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "kfaenza"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "kids_kde"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "korilla"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "krystal-blue"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "krystaline"
gtk-icon-theme-name = "Kubical"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Lemon"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "lila"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "lila-blue"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "lila-red"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "lila-white"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Lime-Rade8-3.1"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Locolor_kde"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "lush-0.1.0"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Mewls_0.6"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "neon-icons-by-FRUiT"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "newcrystal"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "NiCo_Project"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "noia_kde_100"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "noiawarm"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "nouveKDEBlack"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "nuovext"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "nuoveXT_black"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "nuvola_(revised)"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "OSDark"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "os-k"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "oxygen"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "oxygen_(revised)"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "pclos-icons"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Pirate-Skull-Of-Anup_REVISED"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "simply-elegant"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "sky"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "slick_kde"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "smoothicons-1.0"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "SNOWE2-Rade8-3.1"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "SNOWE2Tangerine-Rade8-3.1"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "SNOWE-Rade8-3.1"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "SnowIsh-1.3"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "sparkling"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Tango"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Torchlight-0.2.0"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "umicons"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Win2k-2.2.2-1"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Wine-Blue-Remix-1.1.1"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "X"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "zenith"
I change often icons from personal gtkrc: a true cult for gtk2; with gtk3 is possible to change only themes but no icons (at least what I know).
When i use Palemoon skins (Moonscape, Modoki Moon, Milestone etc.) i use always Raleigh in script and it works all right.
If i want dark look i use skins Darkmoon, Blackmoon etc. or i custome the color browsers with Theme Tweaker on gtk2 Raleigh 8-)
Bye
Francesco bat

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2021-03-06, 15:05

Off-topic:
It's not icons that bother me but the colors. In Linux Mint one can change the icon set independently of the theme; I use an XP-like icon set with a Windows7-like theme that I ported myself from an XP theme I used to use back on XP. See below:
PaleMoon GTK2+3 compact 2021-03-05 14-48-54.png
PaleMoon GTK2+3 default 2021-03-05 15-06-44.png

francesco bat

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-03-06, 17:01

These are my screenshots:

Compact Moon:

Default theme (gtk2 black theme):

Qute4 PM (gtk2 black theme)

In all cases title bar and status gripper work.
The problem is color theme gtk2 doesn't work but it works with others Palemoon themes like Qute4 PM; maybe it is a Compact Moon setting :think:
Maybe these problems could be caused by a Linux Mint setting that combines gtk2 themes with gtk3 themes.
In my situation, i use PCLinuxOS with Trinity Desktop but i separate gtk2 from system and i use a gtkrc + gtkrc.mine.
You could disable union gtk2 with gtk3 themes and see how it goes.
For years they are trying to unify various looks on Linux (gtk2, gtk3, qt3, qt4, qt5, etc.) but in my opinion they are only creating a lot of problems and i prefer to use everything independently :)
Bye
Francesco bat

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2021-03-06, 18:02

Certain themes are more complete in that they do change colors for (almost) all window elements. Qute4PM seems to be right in all aspects while the black GTK is incomplete. In second screenshot it's not the default PM theme (capisco l'italiano abbastanza bene ;) ) but some other that does not change all the colors.

Compact Moon does not attempt to change any colors, it only changes the aspect of the active elements (buttons, input boxes etc) and the spacing between them. As such, the colors remain those of the current GTK theme. Also please note (in case you didn't know) there is an additional add-on called Compact Moon Options that can further tweak the aspect of certain elements.

In my screenshots the GTK2 theme is the default grey while the GTK3 theme I was able to customize to my own liking (pink); the Compact Moon theme has not touched the default GTK colors neither in my case nor in yours.

It is, admittedly, quite difficult to build a complete theme, more so when the underlying system can be so different as is the case with GTK2 and GTK3. Maybe there are themes out there that work correctly under both. I only stopped at Compact Moon because of the hardware limitations (screen size) and somehow it fits my visual preferences. I'm not affiliated with its author(s) or anything.
You could always edit your favorite theme(s) by copying settings from other more complete themes. It will take some time, maybe a lot of time, but once you're done you''ll be happy and also proud of yourself. ;)

francesco bat

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-03-06, 19:12

Drugwash wrote:
2021-03-06, 18:02
Certain themes are more complete in that they do change colors for (almost) all window elements. Qute4PM seems to be right in all aspects while the black GTK is incomplete. In second screenshot it's not the default PM theme (capisco l'italiano abbastanza bene ;) ) but some other that does not change all the colors.

Compact Moon does not attempt to change any colors, it only changes the aspect of the active elements (buttons, input boxes etc) and the spacing between them. As such, the colors remain those of the current GTK theme. Also please note (in case you didn't know) there is an additional add-on called Compact Moon Options that can further tweak the aspect of certain elements.

In my screenshots the GTK2 theme is the default grey while the GTK3 theme I was able to customize to my own liking (pink); the Compact Moon theme has not touched the default GTK colors neither in my case nor in yours.

It is, admittedly, quite difficult to build a complete theme, more so when the underlying system can be so different as is the case with GTK2 and GTK3. Maybe there are themes out there that work correctly under both. I only stopped at Compact Moon because of the hardware limitations (screen size) and somehow it fits my visual preferences. I'm not affiliated with its author(s) or anything.
You could always edit your favorite theme(s) by copying settings from other more complete themes. It will take some time, maybe a lot of time, but once you're done you''ll be happy and also proud of yourself. ;)
Yes, it's just.
I forgot to active Compact Moon Options :lol:
This is the screenshot (in dark style):

My second screenshot in gtk2 black is a my error :D
It is Raleigh theme (gray) with colors changed with Theme Tweaker 8-)
Bye
Francesco bat