Tab menu

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

us66mo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Tab menu

Unread post by us66mo » 2021-03-04, 12:08

When I right click on a tab in Basilisk, the tab menu appears with its standard choices like "Reload tab" etc. However, when I have my mouse in the tab window itself (on a website) and not on the tab and I right click, the tab menu doesn't appear, I have to go back up to the tab itself to get the tab menu to appear. Is this normal for Basilisk? In Pale Moon I get the tab menu when I right click in the tab window itself.

Thanks for any help with this.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Tab menu

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-04, 12:10

What is a "Tab Window"?

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2021-03-04, 16:24

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-03-04, 12:10
What is a "Tab Window"?
Sigh - simple user simply does not know the technical terms of ingenious professionals ;)

I suspect that he speaks about the surface of a webpage shown in a browser when he writes "Tab Window". And he speaks of a Tabstrip when he writes just "Tab".

But us66mo, you are not quite right. The right-click menu of a Tabstrip and the right-click menu of the surface of a webpage are different in both "Pale Moon" and in "Basilisk". And both browsers mentioned are practicing these different right-clicks differently.
Last edited by Tohuwabohuix on 2021-03-04, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-03-04, 17:13

I don't see the tab context menu in either Pale Moon or Basilisk when I right-click on "the surface of a webpage" (the tab['s] window), and afaik this is normal for both browsers.

If you do see such a menu in a Pale Moon window, it's likely due to an extension.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-04, 17:58

A context menu is context-dependent. Hence the name.
So the context menu for a tab will only show on the actual tab, and not anywhere else.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-03-04, 19:54

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-03-04, 12:10
What is a "Tab Window"?
It might be an English as a second language name for a Tab Bar. It is easy, in Windows, to call all these elements as windows. Especially for the less technically-experienced than another person. The other area of potential confusion might be "right click" for a person who is left-handed and has reversed Window's separate mouse or click actions. More properly stated the usual right click is a properties click but I say to a left hand person to do a right-click they would be performing an "action click" and not a properties click.

us66mo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by us66mo » 2021-03-04, 20:46

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-03-04, 17:13
I don't see the tab context menu in either Pale Moon or Basilisk when I right-click on "the surface of a webpage" (the tab['s] window), and afaik this is normal for both browsers.

If you do see such a menu in a Pale Moon window, it's likely due to an extension.
OK, I am using Stratum as a theme in Pale Moon, maybe that's why I get a context menu when I right click. Would like something similar for Basilisk. :-)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-03-04, 23:04

us66mo wrote:
2021-03-04, 20:46
I am using Stratum as a theme in Pale Moon, maybe that's why...
Not a theme user here, but I doubt that a theme would do what you describe since its purpose is to affect how things look, not how they work. In any case, I just experimentally installed Stratum to Pale Moon and it did not put a "tab menu" anywhere but the tab.

If an extension has done this, it's more likely one designed to manage tabs.